Polestar Forum banner

721 - 740 of 831 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Does the app actually work for anyone all the time? Mine works every now and again displays battery sometimes, then doesn't refresh. Also climate is very random, it would be very handy now with the heat.
Mine has been pretty solid the last day or two including PAK (although I am still too scared to leave home without my key) just in case.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Since the last update that I installed a couple days ago, it has worked every time and I have not had to kill it, nor has it used much battery on the default settings. However I haven't driven more than 10 miles, nor have I charged since that time. I also have not set up PAK yet. I may do that soon and see if anything changes. Android 11, June security update on a Pixel 4A (5G).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Works for me, mostly, both the app and the digital key. There have been some intermittent issues but not many that a force stop of the app couldn't fix.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
This is potentially a big issue. Google doesn't have much skin in the game. Unlike regular Google apps and environments that collect data and push ads, in this setup I would think they only get revenue from PS, or maybe some cut of ad driven revenue from Spotify/iHeart/etc. The business model is completely different and you have to wonder if it is profitable enough to drive innovation.
I dunno... they make money because people use the services, not the devices, and this is just another way to do that. The model is almost identical to their phones.

Reactions: PolestarMG

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I dunno... they make money because people use the services, not the devices, and this is just another way to do that. The model is almost identical to their phones.
Correct. And they don't make a lot on their phones.

·
Registered
Midnight 20” Charcoal July? August? vin 26xxx
395 Posts
Correct. And they don't make a lot on their phones.
The phones however provide a platform where Google can scam huge amount of data from you and push their ads. See the current fight between Apple/google and Facebook about access to apps. This issue will not happen when Google control the device.

I agree that monetising this platform is much harder and that difficulty will eventually kill the platform.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My car was one of the ones that was bricked by this update a few weeks back. I'm still not seeing the option to update in the car - does anyone have any idea when they are being rolled out to the entire fleet?

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,743 Posts
Are we hoping that soon the app will allow us to select a temperature when switching the climate on?

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,712 Posts
My car was one of the ones that was bricked by this update a few weeks back. I'm still not seeing the option to update in the car - does anyone have any idea when they are being rolled out to the entire fleet?
If the car was fixed by installing the software updates onto it, which I believe is the only fix really, then you already have them on the car, as it was specifically the OTA aspect that caused the problem. Worth checking with customer services I suspect.

Are we hoping that soon the app will allow us to select a temperature when switching the climate on?
I've requested that specifically from customer services who passed it on to their "Please implement this" department, so who knows. 22C is useless for cooling a car down after taking the dog for a long walk, it needs to be 17-18C or basically as cool as possible.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
585 Posts
For anyone who has an issue with their PAK and can be arsed to try and get it functioning…read on.

The app has worked flawlessly re SOC etc but my PAK dropped for some strange reason. No amount of reboots, resets and account deletions did anything than get me back to the app working as before. I would end up with PAK scanning and getting nowhere which led to a greyed out ‘activate’ which I could do nothing with.

This may have been posted before but the only method to get the second Bluetooth activation working was to disconnect the 12v battery. Thanks again to @stevelup for his earlier explanation of what to do.

After reconnection and letting the car settle I connected all back up with no issue and app fully working with all current features. A real headache but when I’ve got one on me I have to fix it!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is potentially a big issue. Google doesn't have much skin in the game. Unlike regular Google apps and environments that collect data and push ads, in this setup I would think they only get revenue from PS, or maybe some cut of ad driven revenue from Spotify/iHeart/etc. The business model is completely different and you have to wonder if it is profitable enough to drive innovation.
I am no expert on data collection, but I would bet a lot of money that Google is using info from your driving habits for data collection and sales. One note on this topic is that I asked google for info on X in my car. Then I started to get adds for X on my phone. X was a restaurant.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am no expert on data collection, but I would bet a lot of money that Google is using info from your driving habits for data collection and sales. One note on this topic is that I asked google for info on X in my car. Then I started to get adds for X on my phone. X was a restaurant.
Blasphemy!!! Google (or Facebook for that matter) would never collect your personal and private data to surreptitiously monetize and subsidize the "free" services it provides to you.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I agree that monetising this platform is much harder and that difficulty will eventually kill the platform.
This isn't how Google operates. The platform is a means to their services, not something to be monetized.

AAOS is a part of Android, not a completely separate product, and they've signed contracts with a bunch of companies that historically take 3-5yrs to bring a product to market.

lol, they are 100%, absolutely, definitely collecting data from people using AAOS in their cars. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone, AAOS is a way to get people using their services in yet another place we spend significant amounts of time.

·
Registered
2021 PS2 | Midnight | non-PP | tow hitch | 19” | tinted rear windows | ceramic coated
63 Posts
Super minor, but I believe in efficiency and not including wasteful actions, and it peeves me that the app shows the battery percentage, yet you have to perform an additional click of the “+” under the percentage to see the actual mileage.
why add that??? Doesn’t save screen space. It’s information virtually everyone using this app wants to know (percentage means nothing if it’s not tied to some estimate of mileage). So why? Just show the information, save an extra click for the drop down info.

·
Registered
Midnight 20” Charcoal July? August? vin 26xxx
395 Posts
This isn't how Google operates. The platform is a means to their services, not something to be monetized.

AAOS is a part of Android, not a completely separate product, and they've signed contracts with a bunch of companies that historically take 3-5yrs to bring a product to market.

lol, they are 100%, absolutely, definitely collecting data from people using AAOS in their cars. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone, AAOS is a way to get people using their services in yet another place we spend significant amounts of time.
This is actually what we mean by monetisation of the platform. But out with a lecture on business

This not surprising that google will try and exploit its position and people’s data at any opportunity it can. And with out moralising about the rights and wrongs of this the issue is wether the people exposed to this exploration are fully aware of the implications and the pervasiveness of what you agree to the interminable t&c

The fact that people are surprised to be presented ads on one device after searching on another for that indicate that they are not fully aware of what they have agreed to.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
This is actually what we mean by monetisation of the platform. But out with a lecture on business

This not surprising that google will try and exploit its position and people’s data at any opportunity it can. And with out moralising about the rights and wrongs of this the issue is wether the people exposed to this exploration are fully aware of the implications and the pervasiveness of what you agree to the interminable t&c

The fact that people are surprised to be presented ads on one device after searching on another for that indicate that they are not fully aware of what they have agreed to.
Monetization for Google is getting people using their services. For AAOS, it means getting it in cars, and considering Google announced there will be 10 cars available to order running AAOS by the end of the year, I'd say they're well on their way.

A lot of people are surprised to hear that Google's #1 money maker are ads, and by a lot. It shouldn't be surprising that AAOS is a play to feed data into that engine.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Exactly what data do people think Google are getting from this car that they wouldn’t get from being in literally any car with an Android phone in your pocket?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Exactly what data do people think Google are getting from this car that they wouldn’t get from being in literally any car with an Android phone in your pocket?
This is the most salient point. They already know everywhere you go.

721 - 740 of 831 Posts