Polestar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a pretty good solution for mounting my phone, which I want to do as Waze is not yet available to us.

First, the base product is this. There are a number of versions from "different" manufacturers available. I bought two different ones, but they're essentially the same.

Now the back of the Polestar screen has a curve to it, so I didn't think it would mount well directly. I took a piece of hardwood, ripped it to a longitudinal wedge on my table saw at about 10 degrees, cut it in length to match the phone mount, and put a curve on it using a belt sander.

I then spray painted it black, used some 3M, double-sided tape, and tried it out.

It worked pretty well. Unfortunately, when the phone's not being used, it doesn't quite flip back out of the way entirely, and I wanted the phone angled more towards me.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, second run. I ripped another piece using a 30 degree angle on the table saw and repeated the process. This works better, though it still doesn't quite fold away. It would if it was 5 mm shorter. I'm thinking of seeing if I can cut apart another one and shorten it. In the meantime, it works well. Oh... and a 22 cm cord works perfectly for charging.

Here's the new wedge compared to the old.

And the new result.

And tucked away as well as it can be (so far)...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is there not enough room to put the phone on the near side (closer to the driver) or do you prefer that it be farther away?

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
301 Posts
So, second run. I ripped another piece using a 30 degree angle on the table saw and repeated the process. This works better, though it still doesn't quite fold away. It would if it was 5 mm shorter. I'm thinking of seeing if I can cut apart another one and shorten it. In the meantime, it works well. Oh... and a 22 cm cord works perfectly for charging.

View attachment 3851

And the new result.

View attachment 3852

View attachment 3853
As I don't have my car yet I don't know what is behind the screen. What does the curved double sided tape adhere to? Very nice design and I like how it folds away.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there not enough room to put the phone on the near side (closer to the driver) or do you prefer that it be farther away?
On the near side, it would be in the way of the stalk and visibility would be poor, so that's why I chose the far side.

Thanks, Kaneda. So the backside of the screen has a curve to it that I was trying to match with the wooden wedge. I don't think the curvature needs to be exactly correct for the end result to be stable, as long as the radius of curvature on the wedge is smaller than that of the screen back. I used a 1.25" radius on the wooden wedge and that seems to work.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Void, PP
93 Posts

View attachment 3851

And the new result.

View attachment 3852

View attachment 3853
How come you have an option of 40A? I only got 32A

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
single phase vs three phase probably?
Right. I charge at 40 amps on a 50 amp, 240 volt, single-phase circuit and have an effective charge rate of a bit over 9 kW.

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Very nice, but I'm concerned about the time you're spending with your P*2. I doubt this is publishable or will bring any grant money to the university - I don't want to see you put your tenure in jeopardy!:unsure:

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My father often advised me "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." But it bothered me that I couldn't swing the arm back the whole way, so I took one, cut the arm in half, and bolted it together to make it shorter.

Now the arm could swing back all the way, but the thickness step at the joint interfered a tad with the phone being flat against the magnets. I took it apart and filed down the thickness at the eating joint and, voila! Now it works as I had hoped. I could post a picture with it swung back and out of the way, but it really does disappear back there, so there'd be nothing to see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts