Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Performance
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PHONE MOUNT
Does anybody has a good idea to install a phone mount?

·
Registered
765 Posts
The Polestar 2 is the first car for which I’ve not felt the need for one.
I'm struggling to figure out why you would want a phone mount unless you're a taxi driver.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,871 Posts
PHONE MOUNT
Does anybody has a good idea to install a phone mount?
Hi @FrankDM - have you got an iPhone 12 which won't charge wirelessly?
In which case you may use apple music, which is clunky to operate through the tablet.
Or maybe you need to keep an eye open for urgent emails or whattsapp messages, so a mount could be smart.
I don't know of any recommended mounts, and I love the bare look of the interior so would really try to avoid any additions. But good luck finding a mount & let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Performance
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m not a taxidriver, but indeed I like to keep an eye on messages or urgent emails.
I love the clean interior of my Polestar Performance with the Nappa and wood deco.
That is why I’m looking for a clean solution...
I would like to have it just left of tablet so it touchable while my hand is on the driving wheel. This how I had it in my previous car (Volvo XC90).

·
Registered
436 Posts
I’m not a taxidriver, but indeed I like to keep an eye on messages or urgent emails.
I love the clean interior of my Polestar Performance with the Nappa and wood deco.
That is why I’m looking for a clean solution...
I would like to have it just left of tablet so it touchable while my hand is on the driving wheel. This how I had it in my previous car (Volvo XC90).
I seem to think you can set it up to read your messages and emails to you if you pair your phone. A much safer alternative to trying to read them.
Personally I prefer to pull over if I am that desperate to check my emails as I couldn't live with myself if I injured somebody but maybe that's because I have a family and would hate for anything to happen to them as a result of somebody checking their emails/texting whilst driving.
Stay safe.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Performance
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do agree!!

It’s not to read or write any emails while driving, just to see and judge if there are urgent notification and then pull over if urgent response is required.

We also need specific navigation apps on the phone like Glympse or live location from WhatsApp. That is to navigate to a specific location shared by the other party.

So this post is not about why I want to mount my iPhone, but rather a question for ideas how to mount a phone in the Polestar 2.

·
Super Moderator
1,397 Posts
It would be nice if notifications from the phone could be mirrored on the display and that you can have messages other than text messages read out and dictate the answer.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I do agree!!

It’s not to read or write any emails while driving, just to see and judge if there are urgent notification and then pull over if urgent response is required.

We also need specific navigation apps on the phone like Glympse or live location from WhatsApp. That is to navigate to a specific location shared by the other party.

So this post is not about why I want to mount my iPhone, but rather a question for ideas how to mount a phone in the Polestar 2.
I guess it was never designed to need to mount a phone. Hopefully as time goes by there will be more apps available which may enable you to use the centre display.
You might be able to wedge a holder where the light bar is on the dashboard or stick one to the back of the centre display. That way you can just peel it off when you sell the car.

·
Registered
Thunder ⚡ | Non-PP | 20" | Towbar | Damn good looking driver
57 Posts
In the Netherlands we have a app called "Flitsmeister" which helps you with speed cameras and hazards on the road. This is not available on Android Automotive yet. That is why I was searching for a phone mount to show those at a nice angle. I found a mount that clips and wanted to clip it to the side of the middle console or between the gauge cluster and the central screen. If I got it I will post my findings if it suits the car. Example:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Check out https://www.blitzer.de/in/land/Niederlande. This app uses BT to verbally announce speed cams (also mobile ones) and starts and stops when BT connection to the car is established/lost. No need to watch the screen.
Thanks, but I Want to look at it as well. I like the visual announcements. It will be in my direct line of view, so no distraction :). And I know you all want to point out there is no need to look at it. But for now Android Automotive is not diverse enough to totally rely on the system alone. So there are some edge cases when a phone mount is required. And that was the initial question.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've been trying to figure out a good way to mount a phone for the simple reason that I have an iPhone, CarPlay isn't supported yet, and the AAOS version of Google Maps doesn't have all of the functionality of the iOS version (most notably, better traffic info support)...

·
Registered
57 Posts
In the Netherlands we have a app called "Flitsmeister" which helps you with speed cameras and hazards on the road. This is not available on Android Automotive yet. That is why I was searching for a phone mount to show those at a nice angle. I found a mount that clips and wanted to clip it to the side of the middle console or between the gauge cluster and the central screen. If I got it I will post my findings if it suits the car. Example:
View attachment 2571
So i've received the mount. I couldn't give it a nice spot. So if someone has a better. idea I really want to know 😊.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm thinking of trying a bean bag mount, either on the dash or in the phone recess.

Reactions: Haywire
1 - 20 of 38 Posts