Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 pilot, plus, performance, magnesium.
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone want to know if anyone has experience this at all. I know a lot of users have reported the pilot assist hugs the right line a lot and nudging the wheel to the left should center it and should stay. However mine when I nudge it to the left it stays centered for about a minute and then goes back to hugging that Right line. However it gets worse as on my recent trip it got so close to the line the lane keep assist warned me I goto close to the line while pilot assist was active and it even put me over the line. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes. Pilot Assist sucks. I used it a lot on a long road trip and it was okay. But I would never use it here in South Florida where the lanes are narrow, traffic is heavy, and drivers are extremely aggressive. Pilot Assist would probably get me killed, and I mean that literally.

I sure hope improvements are coming.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Let us know how it turns out. I basically have the same experience you reported. It hugs one of the lane markers (it's not always the right one for me) and even sometimes crosses the marker even on a straightaway! Which is crazy because LKA then vibrates the wheel. Hello car! It was YOU that did that!

The manual says you should always have hands on the wheel to make corrections, but Pilot Assist fights you when you make those corrections.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used the pilot assist for about a mile and will prob not use it again until significant updates. Even without it, the cars just fun to drive, so I'm okay with it.

Issues:
I would center the car, but it would keep pulling me to once side or the other, I dont trust it at this time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My pilot assist hugs the driver side and always tries to exit in the right lane. It's supposed to make driving a little more relaxing, but I found that I have to put a death grip on the wheel to keep it from beeping at me and I have to watch more closely to make sure it's not doing anything crazy. But the adaptive cruise control is great!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess it depends on what side of the road and car you drive on. Left hand drive and right road side hugs right line.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Maybe a calibration issue then? Mine (LHD) hugs the right line (scary when passing trucks) and usually tries to take the exit like @BrewBeau.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I have used Pilot assist 4 times in 7 months. I don’t use ACC or Pilot assist as I just prefer to drive. The first 3 times was to see what the fuss was about and today because of the national rail and tube strike resulted in muppets being on the road and I couldn’t be bothered to deal with them and their antics.

on all 4 occasions car has stuck to the middle of the lane and sped up and slowed down to keep distance, when indicating to change lanes it sped up to assigned speed if slower when safe to do so.

I guess my car works perfectly like it has 99% of the time even though I don’t need or care for this feature. I prefer the speed limiter so I can get done for speeding. That is on 99.9% of the time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My car hugs one lane markers or the other (sometimes randomly switching between which to hug), basically bounces back and forth in the lane while going down the road, handles curves horribly (aggressive steering input resulting in lots of jerkiness and frequently crossing the lane marker on anything but very gentle curves), and - as mentioned in my earlier comment - occasionally crosses the lane markers even on straightaways. If you are in the right lane with a right exit (common in the U.S.), it pulls hard to take the exit. If there is a car ahead of you that's taking the exit and you aren't, the car will slam on the brakes aggressively as the car in the exit lane slows down to take the exit, even if the road ahead of you is completely clear and it won't speed back up until the regular lane markers return.

Pilot Assist is horrible at best and dangerous at worst.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
My ACC + PA works quite well, better than I had expected and has even improved a bit over the last few OTA updates. I don't expect it to be perfect, and on narrow roads with poorly painted (or missing) markings then I don't expect it to do well. It disengages appropriately for me most times. Keep in mind I do not expect it to drive for me and I don't want it to. I'm not confident any L3 or better system is good enough to trust right now, and all we have in the Polestar 2 is L2 where I expect to be in control. I'm just getting some assistance and it works more than adequately for me based on my expectations. Perhaps as others have suggested, there may be a calibration issue with some cars.

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
It's going in Wednesday for a recalibration to see if that does anything.
I doubt this will have much impact. It's not autopilot and can only do so much. If you are in DC, don't even think of using it on the S curves of 495. I just won't keep you where you want to be, particularly with others moving around you. PA is best not used on urban highways, but rather on highways where there is less traffic.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I'm just getting some assistance and it works more than adequately for me based on my expectations.
I agree with you, hands have to be kept on the wheel, and the driver must remain in control. I think part of the issue with people’s expectations is the confusion around the name Pilot assist might make some people think it’s an autopilot. Probably would have been better off calling it can’t afford a chauffeur assist.

Cars are for driving 😛 if you want someone or something to drive for you get an Uber 🤣

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I doubt this will have much impact. It's not autopilot and can only do so much. If you are in DC, don't even think of using it on the S curves of 495. I just won't keep you where you want to be, particularly with others moving around you. PA is best not used on urban highways, but rather on highways where there is less traffic.
It was on highways. It's constantly on i70 and 270. I'm aware it's not autopilot but it's called pilot assist which is also know as lane centering. It's not keeping it in the center of the lane.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with you, hands have to be kept on the wheel, and the driver must remain in control. I think part of the issue with people’s expectations is the confusion around the name Pilot assist might make some people think it’s an autopilot. Probably would have been better off calling it can’t afford a chauffeur assist.

Cars are for driving 😛 if you want someone or something to drive for you get an Uber 🤣
If I have to fight to keep the car off the right line is not doing it's job. My hands are always on the wheel not sure where everyone got the idea my hands are off the wheel. I said the car hugs the right line and will get close to the point where LKA warns you and the crosses the line anyways. Each time having me fight to center it again and again.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
If I have to fight to keep the car off the right line is not doing it's job. My hands are always on the wheel not sure where everyone got the idea my hands are off the wheel. I said the car hugs the right line and will get close to the point where LKA warns you and the crosses the line anyways. Each time having me fight to center it again and again.
Sorry wasn’t referring to you specifically just a general comment.

·
Registered
999 Posts
LHD, and hugs right side line, and attempts to take exits all the time, even when they're marked with a dashed line, which is meant to assist autonomous cars.

I, and others, have said it before, but the older and supposedly "lesser" Pilot Assist on SPA Volvos is better and more predictable.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts