Polestar Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree with you, hands have to be kept on the wheel, and the driver must remain in control. I think part of the issue with people’s expectations is the confusion around the name Pilot assist might make some people think it’s an autopilot. Probably would have been better off calling it can’t afford a chauffeur assist.

Cars are for driving 😛 if you want someone or something to drive for you get an Uber 🤣
Of course. But Pilot Assist fights your inputs. It slams on the brakes when a car in the exit lane - that you are not in - slows down to take the exit curve. It is not a good system.

There is no need to make excuses for it. We should point out when something is bad and needs to be made better.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
It doesn't do that with me. It might pull but as soon as I give it input I can correct the PA input easily. I do have my steering set to Medium, perhaps that is part of the system's feedback level.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Of course. But Pilot Assist fights your inputs. It slams on the brakes when a car in the exit lane - that you are not in - slows down to take the exit curve. It is not a good system.

There is no need to make excuses for it. We should point out when something is bad and needs to be made better.
Wasn’t making any excuses, like I said I don’t use it very often but when I have it has worked flawlessly. No bouncing marker to marker no hugging lanes and no slamming on brakes. Yesterday kept the gap to minimum and it worked flawlessly, moved it to maximum it worked flawlessly. Can’t comment about fighting inputs as I didn’t need to make any to correct the cars position. Only inputs I made were to change lanes and that was after indicating and no issues there.

The road I travelled on (M25) had a mix of tarmac and concrete surfaces with clear markings and on both surfaces I had zero issues,

I also agree where something isn’t working it should be raised. Could be some vehicles have issues and others don’t like the tcam issue and those vehicles need to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Mine is a RHD MY22, but driving both in the UK and across mainland Europe (LHD) it is working as expected. Sticks to the middle of the lane, perfectly, doesn't get confused by exits, is smooth through corners, works very well.

Still don't like it though even though there is nothing wrong with it, not being wholly involved myself makes me feel sleepy and that is not good 🤣

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
@Bl4ckD0g , that's why "Driver Alert" is part of the safety features ;-) Driver Alert (polestar.com)
When I'm asleep I'm asleep :) We joke that I sleep so deeply that my wife could have an affair next to me and I still wouldn't wake up :ROFLMAO: Years of army training to ensure that I get quality sleep when get time to sleep, and vice versa....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you on the latest software? I agree the lane assist feature was worthless initially, but one or two releases ago they changed the algo and it works far better for me now. It’s actually pleasant to use and works much much better. I was really surprised at how much the OTA improved it.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 pilot, plus, performance, magnesium.
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Are you on the latest software? I agree the lane assist feature was worthless initially, but one or two releases ago they changed the algo and it works far better for me now. It’s actually pleasant to use and works much much better. I was really surprised at how much the OTA improved it.
Yea I've been on every release. Im on 2.2 now she going on a trip to Nashville. They didn't do anything as they said it is acting as normal. If it does it again I'm going to save the clips on my dash cam and report to polestar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got back last night from a 1200 mile trip with the car, and I have to say the Pilot assist was definitely one of the frustration points. I had a similar experience where it hugs the right hand side of the lane which is really annoying. Other times it was going perfectly, so perfectly that it was yelling at me for not doing my own steering. I did use the ACC a lot on the highway though as it definitely made for a more relaxed trip. Definitely a bit annoying with how hard it brakes sometimes. I think I'd do better from an efficiency standpoint by being able to get more regen by braking sooner rather than harder and using more of the friction brakes.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 pilot, plus, performance, magnesium.
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Just got back last night from a 1200 mile trip with the car, and I have to say the Pilot assist was definitely one of the frustration points. I had a similar experience where it hugs the right hand side of the lane which is really annoying. Other times it was going perfectly, so perfectly that it was yelling at me for not doing my own steering. I did use the ACC a lot on the highway though as it definitely made for a more relaxed trip. Definitely a bit annoying with how hard it brakes sometimes. I think I'd do better from an efficiency standpoint by being able to get more regen by braking sooner rather than harder and using more of the friction brakes.
That's what the new 2.2 aims to fix as it states better efficiency with ACC.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am on v2.1 and used it on a 1200 mi road trip while in that version. My negative feedback stands.

I'll try it again after going to v2.2 and see if it gets any better.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts