Polestar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took some pictures to compare a Pilot vs non-Pilot car (Canada spec, but our beam pattern regulations are harmonized with the US). Here are the housings:
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Hood

I did not rip things apart to check part numbers (one car was a loaner), but they look identical to me.

Parked at exact same spot. Low beams @ 8.0m (26.5ft) from this handy fence:
Water Rectangle Wood Asphalt Road surface

I don't know. I think the Pilot (top) is just aligned too high?

High beams
Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Water Tints and shades

The Pilot pack (top) looks like a slightly wider High beam though?

Sorry, but I live in the city and there aren't roads dark enough to do a wide area illumination test. Heck, this was one of few times I have turned the high beams on! But I don't think there's enough here to say these are different LED matrices.

·
Registered
154 Posts
In North America we think it's the same assembly with the orange side markers. They didn't want to create 2 parts for one smallish market. We also think that's why pixel is still listed as an option in NA pilot pack. Theoretically you may not get bending beams, but the difference is likely minimal. Also theoretically, they may never activate the pixel functionality when ready in NA if you don't have pilot pack.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It is not the same lamp assembly in both Pilot and non-Pilot versions. The LEDs and optical components are the same but in the Pilot version each LED is "addressable" to be ON or OFF whereas in the non-Pilot version the state of the individual LEDs is not controllable. Hopefully the pixel functionality will eventually be available to those who have the Pilot Pack.

·
Registered
154 Posts
How do you know that it isn't the same assembly? I guess it makes sense that they could keep all the plastics the same (including the Pixel wording), but have a different electronics set on the back. That said, it doesn't seem like they would save enough money to be worth having 2 assemblies. I think the cost of the electronics would be dominated by the LEDs, drivers, and optics, and not whatever part makes the LEDs individually addressable.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have seen that diagram, but I don't remember where. It looks like it is comparing Pixel to Non-Pixel assemblies. Pilot and Non-Pilot cars in NA have Pixel assemblies and therefore may not have that difference. That isn't to say they couldn't program the Pixel assemblies in the non-Pilot cars to be less bright/wide.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was found this information about both options
Thanks for finding this data on the differences between the Pilot & non-Pilot lights. It would explain @vassimo1 observed results (wider beam for Pilot). Also then, I must be wrong that the LEDs and optics are basically the same (except for addressability) as I would have expected the beam pattern to be the same in both cases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts