Polestar Forum banner

Pixel headlights

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  krheinwald 
#1 ·
A (long) while ago, I believe it was mandatory to carry spare light bulbs in your car in Germany to be able to replace roadside if needed.

With many modern headlights it was almost impossible to do so but the legislation persisted.

Is that law still in existence? And if so what should I carry for the pixel headlights?

Reactions: 2RatsElop
#2 ·
Never heard of this law. Did some research and found the following site:
Nachrüstung & Zubehör - AUTOFAHRERSEITE.EU - Fakten für Autofahrer

As it's in german, here's the relevant information:

Orange = Spare bulbs recommended
Blue = Spare bulbs required (except LED and Xenon)

Although you might get in trouble if you drive with broken lights during the night ... but usually police will just tell that your light is out and you should replace it asap (depends of course)

#3 ·
Never heard of this law. Did some research and found the following site:
Nachrüstung & Zubehör - AUTOFAHRERSEITE.EU - Fakten für Autofahrer

As it's in german, here's the relevant information:

Orange = Spare bulbs recommended
Blue = Spare bulbs required (except LED and Xenon)

Although you might get in trouble if you drive with broken lights during the night ... but usually police will just tell that your light is out and you should replace it asap (depends of course)
So I know when I used to regularly drive to France for holiday it was the case that spare bulbs were required (or at least that was how it was played out). I did often wonder with the whole LED implementation how that would even be possible? My Father in Law lived there for many years and does now in Spain and is always very aware of such laws, but I wonder if it is because another nationalities registration is an easy pick for the police? I seem to remember when France introduced the breath tests as being mandatory to be carried that there were a lot of postings that British cars were targeted.

#4 ·
Yes, this is an unofficial source, so take it with a grain of salt.
I researched some more and looked into the german StVO (Straßenverkehrsordnung = road traffic regulations) and §17 states, when you have to use the lights: § 17 StVO 2013 - Einzelnorm (gesetze-im-internet.de)
No mention of required spare bulbs.

When stopped by the police with non-compliant lights (e.g. broken lights in the night) you'll usually get a "Mängelkarte" (= notice of defect). Then you are required to fix the issue asap and go to the police after it's fixed (mail does work as well, but I don't know how the verification works then).
You could also get a 20€ fine (probably depends on the officer and safety), 25€ if you put someone else at risk, 35€ if there was an accident: Wie sollte die Fahrzeugbeleuchtung am Kfz aussehen? (bussgeldkatalog.net)

#5 ·
Great, this forum is like Delphi, the community has infinite knowledge.

So it was not Germany, but a bunch of other countries. And LED's are exempt so we are good with our cars.

Good reminder about the alcohol test for France. I honestly never bothered, but probably should.

Reactions: smithers197
#10 ·
Definitely a huge grain of salt that it was a US delivery/salesperson who said this to a new owner who hadn’t experienced prior headlights. I’m waiting for some more confirmation and/or will go try it myself when I get P2.0.

edit: Also, really cool that you can quote reddit directly like that! Nice feature.

#16 · (Edited)
Bjorn Nyland has retested the pixel headlights with a new camera to better capture the performance of the lights at night in action. About 8 minutes in to the video is where the benefits of the pixel headlights is best demonstrated.
@ 0:50 you can see the swiveling low beams as well.

"Deutschland doesn't have moose. Deutschland has beavers. And badgers." 😂 😂 😂

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.