Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody read anything more about the Pixel Headlights being enabled in the USA? There was a ton of excitement when the law was revised in November (?) last year, but since then I've not seen anything.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
They and other OEMs are probably trying to figure out how to comply with the newly enacted rules, which are of course just different enough than the current standards in the rest of the world to necessitate some level of extra testing, but not clear what that is exactly.

that and they were devoting resources to enabling CarPlay. Hopefully those resources can now be freed up in part for this!

• Helpful
Reactions: Ale and Hirudin

·
Registered
373 Posts
Has anybody read anything more about the Pixel Headlights being enabled in the USA? There was a ton of excitement when the law was revised in November (?) last year, but since then I've not seen anything.

I am also a member over on the Porsche web site, and this is an ongoing issue with those folks as well. So far, in the US, the active matrix (Porsche) LED headlights are not fully activated. Everybody seems to be in standby mode while the lawyers work there way through the changes. I was told, by a Porsche representative, that it could be the better part of a year before a final decision on what to do, has been made by VW/Audi/Porsche. Oh, and to make things even more frustrating…many of us had paid an additional $2k-$3k on our 911 orders to get the active matrix headlights. Maybe one day we’ll get what we paid for? Maybe not?

·
Registered
373 Posts
By the time this happens I'll probably be driving a different car that doesn't have matrix headlights :rolleyes:
Hard to predict how long the wait might be? I suspect it depends on how important this issue is to each car manufacturer, and whether activating is fast tracked, or not? Nevertheless, I would expect that within a year from when the US Federal regs were officially changed (sometime in the Spring of 2022, I believe), decisions will be made on whether a manufacturer wants to move forward, or not, in activating this technology?

Personally, I have no plans to be changing cars in that time frame..or even 2-3 years. I don’t lease cars, and as we all know, cars depreciate the fastest in the first few years of ownership…so unless the car is a lemon, unloading in the first few years is not a financially sound decision. I currently have 4 cars, each a little bit older than the next…staggered…my oldest, a 2013 Lexus RX is next to go, but not quite yet. It still has utility to my family.

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
I only have one car and it's been a lease for the last 20 years. I may never buy a car again. It's just a cost of transportation with no headaches.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I only have one car and it's been a lease for the last 20 years. I may never buy a car again. It's just a cost of transportation with no headaches.

I found leases to be too restrictive on several front: (1) Mileage limitations/penalties, (2) Customization…can’t, or no incentive to customize a car that’s not mine…. whether that be a HP tune, tinting, different rims, etc, etc; and (3) Concern about charges if returned with “excessive” wear and tear. Especially true when I had two very active, sports minded boys and taking them (and teammates) on hockey tournaments around the East Coast.

Even when I owned my own company, and was advised to lease my car, I never embraced the concept as i always pay cash for my cars. Always. So there’s never any loan payment. But I understand why it’s attractive for many.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yup. The three concerns you mentioned simply don't apply to me. I've actually turned in a couple of leases that had positive equity that I was able to apply to the next car.
I’ve “customized” every car I’ve ever owned. Being a car guy, I view doing a customization is an extension. For the P2 - already did a full IR tinting of the windows. Next will be the OTA performance mod. Then little things specific to the P2, like the roof rack, panoramic sun shade, custom made dog liner for the back, etc. I even have the custom 3D-printed cup holder. All things I prob would not do on a leased car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I’ve “customized” every car I’ve ever owned. Being a car guy, I view doing a customization is an extension. For the P2 - already did a full IR tinting of the windows. Next will be the OTA performance mod. Then little things specific to the P2, like the roof rack, panoramic sun shade, custom made dog liner for the back, etc. I even have the custom 3D-printed cup holder. All things I prob would not do on a leased car.
All things that are easily removed, I wouldn't even class them as customisations :unsure:

·
Registered
373 Posts
All things that are easily removed, I wouldn't even class them as customisations :unsure:

If i spend $800 to tint, for example, why would I do that for I car I don;’t intend to keep very long? Yes, all these things can be removed.…for additional cost.

If someone wants to do that on their leased car, well, good for them. But not what I would do.

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
I've always been a car guy too. But I like stock... even when I owned cars. I do have a custom cup holder for this car, but it comes off.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
If i spend $800 to tint, for example, why would I do that for I car I don;’t intend to keep very long? Yes, all these things can be removed.…for additional cost.

If someone wants to do that on their leased car, well, good for them. But not what I would do.
If you spend USD800 to tint then you need to shop around :ROFLMAO: The roof rack, sun shade, dog liner, cup holder you just sell....

USD800 for window tints, dude that is crazy....

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you spend USD800 to tint then you need to shop around :ROFLMAO: The roof rack, sun shade, dog liner, cup holder you just sell....

USD800 for window tints, dude that is crazy....

Nope, not crazy. Depends on the type of tint and how many windows. Can I find $200 tint?…sure. But won’t do what I want, look as good (the install), nor last as long.

But here’s another customizable item that’s even MORE expensive, that a growing segment of car buyers (in the US, at least) demand on their new ride - They “invest” in $2k-$4K PPF protective wrap. Two of my 4 cars have them, and it makes a huge difference in front end / side stone/debris damage.

Yes, I can sell my cup holder and roof rack, etc…. for pennies on the dollar. The 3D printed cup holder was NOT cheap, as is the case with most customized/unique parts.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Nope, not crazy. Depends on the type of tint and how many windows. Can I find $200 tint?…sure. But won’t do what I want, look as good (the install), nor last as long.

But here’s another customizable item that’s even MORE expensive, that a growing segment of car buyers (in the US, at least) demand on their new ride - They “invest” in $2k-$4K PPF protective wrap. Two of my 4 cars have them, and it makes a huge difference in front end / side stone/debris damage.

Yes, I can sell my cup holder and roof rack, etc…. for pennies on the dollar. The 3D printed cup holder was NOT cheap, as is the case with most customized/unique parts.
Yup my car has a wrap, and ppf, and also a ceramic coat. I didn't borrow money to buy my car, I paid for it. It is still no investment as you won't get anything back for those things. It is purely a treat for me, well my wife. And also has the windows tinted. $800 for a window tint is still absolutely nuts. But hey if you are happy with it then so be it....Only two windows need tinting if you have the plus pack the rest is already done, and in most regions illegal. That is less than £100.

·
Registered
144 Posts

I would argue that not getting baked alive could make it worth it. Of course it's highly dependent on geographical location and the need for it. In LHD countries, people see higher rates of melanoma on the left compared to the right side. So there's that.

But to your other points on leasing- agreed.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yup my car has a wrap, and ppf, and also a ceramic coat. I didn't borrow money to buy my car, I paid for it. It is still no investment as you won't get anything back for those things. It is purely a treat for me, well my wife. And also has the windows tinted. $800 for a window tint is still absolutely nuts. But hey if you are happy with it then so be it....Only two windows need tinting if you have the plus pack the rest is already done, and in most regions illegal. That is less than £100.
I pay cash, for all my cars.

Tinting won’t do anything for resale, but a good PPF will….if it preserves the paint to look close to brand new, when selling years later.

Before I sell any used car that has been PPF’d, I remove so that the paint looks new (well, close to new). No paint chips on the bumper or hood. If it doesn’t translate into slightly higher resale price, it does help in a quick sale.

Right now, 5 windows have been tinted (the 4 side windows and the rear window). Tinted @35%, which is legal where i live, with ceramic (IR) 95% heat rejection film. If I wanted to go all out, i would also tint the windshield at 75-85% (clear) with ceramic IR film. Doing the windshield is a bigger and more difficult job for the installer, so that costs about $250 by itself. Finally, if the panoramic glass roof was a concern (it is not, and the heat rejection is fine), tinting that would be even more money. Getting up to $800, or more, is very easy to do.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would argue that not getting baked alive could make it worth it. Of course it's highly dependent on geographical location and the need for it. In LHD countries, people see higher rates of melanoma on the left compared to the right side. So there's that.

But to your other points on leasing- agreed.
I don’t lease, so not an issue. I tint all my windows, with the exception of the windshield. But stay within legal limits…not into the gangsta look. Some privacy, but not blacked out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd reckon that if enough of us complained to Polestar about not being able to use a paid-for and now legal feature, Polestar would make it a priority.

And yes yes I know they're trying to get some reg clarification, but I'm sure they could speed things along and push harder if they wanted.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts