Polestar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
California
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Facebook group:
Polestar, does the PS2 hardware support ISO 15118 (Plug&Charge), so that in the future, it might be possible to charge by just plugging in?

I realize that it isn't supported as of now, so the question is if the hardware is capable, given that the car receives a software update that enables it.
Polestar鈥檚 response:
Yes, we鈥檙e looking into this functionality and will share more information in the future 馃槉

Registered
Yes I suppose it does, because connect and charge works for me on Fastned chargers.

Reactions: arijaycomet

Registered
Yes I suppose it does, because connect and charge works for me on Fastned chargers.
Here in the states (USA) the biggest Plug-and-Charge network is/will be ElectrifyAmerica. Though I think that ChargePoint was also going to move towards that as well. At the moment there is the ChargePoint app that you can install into the Android infotainment, so you can actually "start a charge" on your screen, but it still requires user input.

ElectrifyAmerica will use plug-and-charge on Porsche Taycan vehicles, but only the 2021+ have the hardware (the 2020s don't support it due to lacking in something hardware related). Adding this feature to the Polestar 2 and the Volvo XC40 seems likely, if hardware is already there, since the USA Polestar/XC40 cars are now aligned with some EA charging benefits.

Are you near IONITY chargers, @EV1 ?? From what I can tell, that seems like the European's equivalent to our ElectrifyAmerica/ElectrifyCanada network. Do IONITY chargers support Plug-and-Charge?

Registered
California
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the moment there is the ChargePoint app that you can install into the Android infotainment, so you can actually "start a charge" on your screen, but it still requires user input.
And this functionality, beyond just being clunky, is too buggy. Every time I鈥檝e tried it it鈥檚 told me I鈥檓 not close enough to the charger, when I鈥檓 literally parked at the charger I鈥檓 trying to activate.

Plug & Charge is the only sane path forward, imo.

Super Moderator
From the Facebook group:
I wouldn't read to much into it, the answer came from marketing. The probaby didn't understand the question for hardware and it's implications.

I read somewhere else, the PS2 does not have the required crypto module required for P&C.

FastNed is not P&C - it is not based on a cryptography protocol, but uses the car's (falsifiable) MAC-address instead.

Registered
And this functionality, beyond just being clunky, is too buggy. Every time I鈥檝e tried it it鈥檚 told me I鈥檓 not close enough to the charger, when I鈥檓 literally parked at the charger I鈥檓 trying to activate.
Me too. I always try (why not?), but also always resort to activating with my watch NFC.

Registered
In the end the fact of the matter is that until Elon's motorized snake connects EVs to the charger tower, we're all forced to exit the car to plug in, anyhow. So if the next step is a quick NFC tap of our watch/phone to the reader, not really a big deal. Granted some systems are faster than others, and in cold/winter that stinks. But let's face it, the time to plug in, and unplug at the end, is still FAR better than the time it takes for petrol filling!

Premium Member
I got a ChargePoint card. 'Worked like a charm first time.

Registered
California
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don鈥檛 know what to say other than my experience has not been that just tapping NFC or swiping a credit card has been sufficient at many (non-Tesla) fast chargers I鈥檝e tried around here. The systems are each bad and have failed for me in their own unique way. They鈥檙e all trying too hard to invent something unnecessarily new.

It鈥檚 been so frustrating it鈥檚 difficult for me to honestly recommend non-Tesla fast charging to my relatives who ask.

Registered
California
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just as an example, during our last road trip it took me ~5 minutes to get an Electrify America charger to start. It declined my Electrify America NFC pass. So I tried using credit card NFC. Whenever I鈥檇 tap my card it鈥檇 just... revert back to the first screen, without any message. After a number of tries it eventually accepted it. But not linked to my EA account, so I couldn鈥檛 really remote monitor given how crappy our car鈥檚 app is. And as best I can tell, my credit card didn鈥檛 get charged in the end anyway. Maybe it gave me a free charge because it saw how frustrated I was, I don鈥檛 know?

Registered
2021 2
I've had good luck just going straight to credit card first (for EA), but swiping not NFC, and now using the app to start charging. I've never gotten Apple Pay or card tap/go to work.

For ChargePoint, I use the phone app which has my info for the early adopter credit and that's worked well. The car app has been basically a fail.

Registered
I've had good luck just going straight to credit card first (for EA), but swiping not NFC, and now using the app to start charging. I've never gotten Apple Pay or card tap/go to work.

For ChargePoint, I use the phone app which has my info for the early adopter credit and that's worked well. The car app has been basically a fail.
Agree, for all charging networks I鈥檝e used (EA, CP, EVGO, Greenlots) it seems using the app to activate the charge works best. All others (CC, NFC, etc) have failed for me at some point or other.

Registered
I have it installed but I turned off notifications. Much better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts