Polestar Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently took delivery of my car and have been enjoying the sound system: the car interior is noticeably quieter than my last car, and the audio quality is better, so overall a big upgrade for me.

However, I feel like better sound could be achieved with this system (for me, better = flatter frequency response curve). I find the bass is hyped a lot, and even when turning off the subwoofer, turning bass level down, and lowering bass in the advanced graphic EQ, there is still a lot there. I find the graphic EQ changes are too subtle overall.

I would love to see a "reference" setting, where instead of a hyped, showroom-demo style EQ curve, you get one aiming to behave more like a studio monitor, to whatever degree it can.

Has anyone done any experimenting in this regard, i.e., trying to squeeze the most faithful sound out of the existing system? If I can find time I might measure with a spectrum analyzer and see what settings get me closest to flat.
May I ask which sound system you have? The standard High Performance Audio or Harmon Kardon Premium Sound?

·
Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
306 Posts
I'm starting to think that the over bassy response in the P*2 has to do with the placement of the (front) sub. My mini has H-K sound which I think is excellent, with two subs under the front seats, and with far more natural bass than I remember from test-driving the Polestar. With all available under-floor space in the P*2 being taken up by battery, the sound system probably had to be crammed in wherever there was some space.

·
Registered
599 Posts
But the marketing of the premium sound system was world class.

·
Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
306 Posts
World class what? It exists in the world, so by definition is in that class of things.

·
Super Moderator
1,608 Posts
I'm starting to think that the over bassy response in the P*2 has to do with the placement of the (front) sub. My mini has H-K sound which I think is excellent, with two subs under the front seats, and with far more natural bass than I remember from test-driving the Polestar. With all available under-floor space in the P*2 being taken up by battery, the sound system probably had to be crammed in wherever there was some space.
They just chose to make it sound like that... It's all DSP controlled and anything you hear was a deliberate choice made by someone.

The issue (in my opinion) is not the subwoofers - it's that they direct too much bass to the smaller speakers in the car. It sounds an order of magnitude better if you tame that, then push the subs back up to compensate.

Try my settings as a starting point.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Lots of good suggestions here. Can't wait to try them when I get the car :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
This has been referred here on the forums also before and is how I have happily set mine:
I used that setting and I have to say, to me, that's the NPR (aka: talk radio) setting. I guess everyone has different listening preferences, but those settings lack any depth at all, and just leaves music sounding flat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used that setting and I have to say, to me, that's the NPR (aka: talk radio) setting. I guess everyone has different listening preferences, but those settings lack any depth at all, and just leaves music sounding flat.
I almost never listen to talk radio (sometimes podcasts), but most of the time using Tidal and Spotify with highest quality setting. I find it very satisfying. So it's much to personal taste and we all have different level of hearing, or hearing loss :)

Some people like cilantro/coriander, some hate it.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I almost never listen to talk radio (sometimes podcasts), but most of the time using Tidal and Spotify with highest quality setting. I find it very satisfying. So it's much to personal taste and we all have different level of hearing, or hearing loss :)

Some people like cilantro/coriander, some hate it.
What did you say? 🤣

21 - 31 of 31 Posts