Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been following the Polestar EVs from the beginning, and I put a deposit on a P2 hoping for delivery in the Fall. Now it looks like only west coast cities may get deliveries in the US and I live on the east coast. The site willingly took my reservation despite my address and I'm wondering how or if I'd be able to get a delivery? Would they push me out until a dealer is identified in my area? Would I have to go to Toronto to get a car? And if I did would there be no service available at all locally? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I too put a deposit down, but it now looks like the east coast will get the cars in a similar time period to the west coast. I too am on the east coast.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard similar information since as well. If everything goes haywire there will at least be a pick up point in NYC. If all goes well there will be options in other cities along the east coast.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have heard similar information since as well. If everything goes haywire there will at least be a pick up point in NYC. If all goes well there will be options in other cities along the east coast.
I'm hoping the facility will be Long Island. I think that's more likely since the Polestar 'spaces' will be in shopping malls. So the Walt Whitman mall, where Tesla is, is a possible spot. So is the Roosevelt Field Mall. I think Manhattan would be a poor choice since test driving in the city would be a nightmare and getting there is a pain.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm hoping the facility will be Long Island. I think that's more likely since the Polestar 'spaces' will be in shopping malls. So the Walt Whitman mall, where Tesla is, is a possible spot. So is the Roosevelt Field Mall. I think Manhattan would be a poor choice since test driving in the city would be a nightmare and getting there is a pain.
It will be interesting to see where they choose. If it is on the Island I kind of doubt it would be as far out as Walt Whitman. And I think the North Shore is more likely than the South (e.g. Great Neck). It still wouldn't surprise me if it were in NYC, Westchester, or even close in Jersey.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I guess the sales location is not as important as the servicing location since you only need to be there once. More importantly, I've read conflicting things about where the car will be serviced. I've heard 'select Volvo dealerships' and then I've heard only Polestar locations. If you buy a car that has a servicing location 100 miles away, that's a non-starter for most people. Now granted there will be concierge service where they come to you, pick up your car and bring it back, but still, from a comfort standpoint you'd want the servicing location to be relatively close. That's why select Volvo dealership would make more sense. Why invest in brand new locations when Volvo does have the ability to service these cars?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Granted BEVs don't require much service, but you always want someone who can adjust something under warranty. Maybe your typical warranty on a physical item can be done at a Volvo dealer without much difficulty, but if there is any power-train issue, that will require special training.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I called 2 local Volvo dealerships and they both felt confident they could even service the electric power-train. They claimed they have the experience from some of their other cars (XC40?).

Did you get a chance to look at the owner's manual? I notice an interesting thing there. Apparently the suspension is adjustable, but I'm not sure if that's a performance version thing. I'm hoping the ride is not too firm and if the suspension is indeed adjustable, I'd ask them to adjust it more to the softer side.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I imagine you are right since they already have a few plug-in hybrids they deal with.

Do you have a link to the owners manual? My understanding is that with the performance package you get adjustable Olin shocks that can be firmed up. Otherwise I would imagine the regular ride is not any stiffer than your standard luxury sedan.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can't give you a link since it doesn't work. If you placed your deposit and registered, you should be given an internal link to the owner's manual. Otherwise it's not an accessible link.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't give you a link since it doesn't work. If you placed your deposit and registered, you should be given an internal link to the owner's manual. Otherwise it's not an accessible link.
Hmm...I'll have to go back through what they sent me. I don't recall that being part of it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found it! If you hadn't told me it was there, I would never have looked hard enough to uncover it. It's not obvious at all. Now I have a little light reading available :)

And the link, while part of the order email, is not protected in any way by your order number. It's open and available to anyone who can dig enough.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Glad you found it. The layout is very weird in terms of moving backward to a sub-topic. It’s awkward.

Interesting about the link. I tried sending it to my wife’s email and it didn’t work. I’ll try it again.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awkward is an understatement. Every time you move back up you lose your place. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As for availability, I just got an email saying that deliveries will begin in the US in September. And that the only pickup options in 2020 will be LA, NYC, and the Bay Area.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got it too and to be honest, I’m a bit concerned. I don’t want to enter into a contract without having seen or test driven the car. But it sounds like you’ll be signing before testing. They also mention the NY space will be NYC, so I’m assuming Manhattan. I’m pretty far out on LI and that’s a hike, especially with our lockdown. I’m not sure what to do at this point.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm in Maryland, so that's a real hike for me. Then again, I once bought a Volvo in Philly sight unseen and it was just fine. And at that time I didn't sign any actual commitment documents until I was with the car. So I could always get back on the train and go home :)

I'm just hoping I can feel comfortable on the Amtrak by that time. I'm also going to have to extend my current lease which is up in Aug.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’m bowing out now. There are many brand new 2019 I-Paces at $20,000 under sticker. I test drove one and it’s incredible, with a gorgeous interior that exudes Jaguar. So many of these are now actually cheaper than the Polestar with more equipment! They were initially out of my price range, so I never looked at them seriously.

I think the only plus for Polestar is a somewhat better range, but if 25-35 mile range difference doesn’t matter, it’s a great alternative. And it’s not made in China. I was also concerned about the nebulous service arrangement for the Polestar. In speaking to someone at Polestar in Sweden, I was told they would be serviced exclusively at Polestar dealerships, not Volvo.

I also didn’t like the fact that I’d have to drive 60 miles just to test drive the car and then only on city streets. That’s assuming you could even test drive one before seeing it or driving it. That’s not 100% either. That‘s the same issue with the Ford Mach E. No cars to test drive but some will be asked to sign on the dotted line before they even see one. Crazy. At least I have a Ford dealership 3 miles away.

At any rate, best of luck to anyone buying a Polestar. I’m sure it‘s going to be a great car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts