Polestar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to know how many banana boxes you can fit in a Polestar 2? Bjørn Nyland has you covered. 6 boxes in the trunk with the seats up and 19 with the seats folded, putting it ahead of the Tesla Model 3 (6 with the seats up and 17 with the seats folded).

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Gotta love this guy. I watched the video in YouTube so I could give him a like and a subscribe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
watched it live....11h 36 mins (may make some adjustments)...didn't like weave tech as it's not breathable & his back got sweaty..also, not a fan of the performance pack...

·
Registered
409 Posts
watched it live....11h 36 mins (may make some adjustments)...didn't like weave tech as it's not breathable & his back got sweaty..also, not a fan of the performance pack...
I caught the end (thought it would be done and surprised was still going).

I gather he had a number of charging issues, both in the initial handshake and also with this car the charging curve was worse than what he had in the other car. Seems the handshake might be solved by holding the plug firmly in during the handshake and letting go only after that's done. For the charging curve, guessing either the battery management system isn't updated to what that other car had, or its preconditioning/thermal management system was off in some way, which seems to be a recurring theme....
Said he charged 6x throughout the trip so ~5 min extra per charge because of these issues could add up.

Also his consumption was higher than predicted from the other test, which was notably with a car with 19" wheels, nonPerformancePack and when it was warmer out (this test seems done with 5-8 degC temps).

With a software update to fix the charging curve, and switching to the 19" wheels nonPP, I think real shot for being <11 hrs, but would let Bjorn weigh in there.

In comparison in his TM3P optimized with some after-market accessories, he got close to 10h.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've watched/read dozens of reviews & not a single one mentioned this. Despite the fact they have reviewed throughout summer. Reviewers have been largely repetitive. Well done to Bjorn for highlighting something new.
Regards,
Dave (Sweaty Back Sufferer)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've watched/read dozens of reviews & not a single one mentioned this. Despite the fact they have reviewed throughout summer. Reviewers have been largely repetitive. Well done to Bjorn for highlighting something new.
Regards,
Dave (Sweaty Back Sufferer)
Yep, I totally agree!! & this is a little worrisome for me as the test conditions were around 0 deg celsius (32 deg F)

fellow Sweaty Back Suffrer..

·
Registered
43 Posts
I guess one reason other reviewers haven't mentioned it is that none of them spent 11 hours sat in the car in one session!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I guess one reason other reviewers haven't mentioned it is that none of them spent 11 hours sat in the car in one session!
He started back-sweating 19 minutes in.

(made that up. haven't watched the video. I'm obsessive but not that much)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Caught some parts of this live.

I agree, my back gets very hot when i am driving.

The big concern I saw from the 1000k was the charging:
The car was on a charger at 400v+ and 300a+ (can't remember the actual figures) and achieving 130+kw. For no apparent reason this suddenly plumetted down to 5kw! The car was only at about 30% charge at the time.

He was complaining about the handshaking on a number of different makes of charger but i did not see his conclusions for this.

He said that at soon as the car reaches 80% the rate of charge drops through the floor.

·
Registered
491 Posts
On my test drive this was something I was very worried about, as I've had ventilated seats for my past 3 cars ... maybe 4... I can't remember.

Anyway on my test drive day it was 28degs and very muggy. The AC was set to 21 deg inside the car.

Both in the front and back I didn't find the seat warm ... nor did I even feel that long term I would sweat ... not once.

Therefore I can only conclude it either depends on your body or maybe clothing at a push ... I don't know. But I do know I was wearing a cotton shirt and had zero concerns ... if I did I would have paid for leather and ventilated seats.

Get a test drive if you are worried. You could always put the AC up to 22-24deg inside to make you warm up fast!

The car was on a charger at 400v+ and 300a+ (can't remember the actual figures) and achieving 130+kw. For no apparent reason this suddenly plumetted down to 5kw! The car was only at about 30% charge at the time.
Ok later he figured this out ... and it happens on a lot of other EV's like the E-Tron.

When the cable drops down after the cars CCS port, the weight can pull the the top connectors (in the type 2 part) out a fraction. The type 2 connectors on a CCS are only for data and not power (those are the 2 large DC one's below the type 2). As there is now not a solid connection the car assumes maybe the connection is weaker. Therefore restricts the power more initially then expect the connection to heat up more so throttle's it more later.

Holding the CCS connector in the car while the handshaking is going on fixes this issue. Bjorn has done this on other cars too ... and tried it on the Polestar right at the end of the stream at another charger.

·
Registered
491 Posts
He said that at soon as the car reaches 80% the rate of charge drops through the floor.
That's the same with most cars ... but on the Polestar it does drops a bit more then most. Might be Polestar being protective of their batteries until they get more data back - just like Tesla , Jag, Audi, etc.. have all done as well.

·
Registered
491 Posts
He started back-sweating 19 minutes in.

(made that up. haven't watched the video. I'm obsessive but not that much)
It was about 3-4 hours in from memory ... all I know it was around midnight when I stopped watching, and he had just started to complain ... sheeeeeeeet

·
Registered
409 Posts
The big concern I saw from the 1000k was the charging:
When I tuned in he was ranting about this. I think this was the more frustrating thing to him and explains the majority of the ~45-60 min difference between expected and actual.

Do we know what was going on? Loose connection?
I’ve heard some people drape a section over the charger handle to provide some weight (downforce one might say) to ensure the connection holds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts