Polestar Forum banner
101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
No one next to me. Joined by an MG half way through but 3 bays away. Then a Leaf 2 about 5mins before the end and they were 2 spaces. So definitely not on shared feed.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
So updating my previous post ... using all the data from the 50+ kWh charger's I've used this last week.

0-18% = 150kW
18-40% = 125kW
40-55% = 100kW
55-80% = 75kW
80%+ = 25kW

^^^ probably possible in warmer weather.

However for 7 deg C or less ... I've only gotten these roughly so far:-

0-18% = (no idea)
18-40% = 70-90kWh
40-60% = 70-90kWh
60-80% = 45kWh
80%+ = 20kW

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
So updating my previous post ... using all the data from the 50+ kWh charger's I've used this last week.

0-18% = 150kW
18-40% = 125kW
40-55% = 100kW
55-80% = 75kW
80%+ = 25kW

^^^ probably possible in warmer weather.

However for 7 deg C or less ... I've only gotten these roughly so far:-

0-18% = (no idea)
18-40% = 70-90kWh
40-60% = 70-90kWh
60-80% = 45kWh
80%+ = 20kW
I would think if you can average 75kw that's not bad unless you're in a hurry.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2 Dual Motor, Long Range, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,566 Posts
This might help:

Measured by Bjorn Nyland in mild weather a few months back.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
This might help:

View attachment 2671

Measured by Bjorn Nyland in mild weather a few months back.
For reference for people that don't know.

This was on the September Patch, in warmer weather, and after an 120km/h range test, where he started from 5% battery.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2 Dual Motor, Long Range, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,566 Posts
Good context, thank you 👍🏻

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I do not have any details on the PS cells. I have read/heard about the cobalt rich cells of Audi/Porsche in a german video where they explained the high charge rates. My understanding was these cells have an unusually high cobalt content.

Using the same manufacturer does not mean same cells. I think it rather unlikely they use the same cells as they would surely make use of the high C charging, if not only for marketing reasons ;)
This article claims that the e-tron and Taycan use the same NCM622 chemistry as the Chevy Bolt, IPace, Niro, Kona, etc.:

Suggesting the flat high charging curve of the e-tron is not so much cobalt content but more enabled by pack voltage, buffer, thermal management, and plain willingness to go there.

We know that the pack voltage is similar between the etron and P*2. We don't know the buffer on the Polestar, though some suggest 72.5kWh is usable, meaning 93% of the total 78 kWh capacity; compared to 91% usage for the etron.
I don't know enough to know if there are salient differences in the hardware of the cooling systems of both the etron and Polestar - what do we know there?

Either way, my guess is the current charging curve is them being very conservative. Will see if they relax it to allow faster kW rates for longer with future updates.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've never managed above 50kW, but I don't know if that is the car or charger compatibility. It's all been in cold weather so far, though.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Finally tried charging on a 150kW "pump" after driving 33km at roughly 70km/h on average (but with a lot of turns, so there were lots of instances of acceleration and deceleration) in -8 degrees Celcius. I got 74kW with 40% SOC. I'm fairly sure that I'd have gotten more charging rate if the SOC were lower.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Finally tried charging on a 150kW "pump" after driving 33km at roughly 70km/h on average (but with a lot of turns, so there were lots of instances of acceleration and deceleration) in -8 degrees Celcius. I got 74kW with 40% SOC. I'm fairly sure that I'd have gotten more charging rate if the SOC were lower.
Exhibits:

(charging next to another Polestar)

(Plugged in at 33% and it ramped up to 74kW by the time the SOC was 40%)

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Exhibits:

View attachment 3345
(charging next to another Polestar)

View attachment 3346
(Plugged in at 33% and it ramped up to 74kW by the time the SOC was 40%)
That's really curious and much better than what I got under similar conditions except you were at a significantly colder temperature - and also better than what Carwow Mat Watson got too.

Could Norway be on a later software version? Or, could the battery heater be kicking in at your lower temperature and for whatever reason not be kicking in at more moderate, 0-10C temps?

·
Registered
948 Posts
That's really curious and much better than what I got under similar conditions except you were at a significantly colder temperature - and also better than what Carwow Mat Watson got too.

Could Norway be on a later software version? Or, could the battery heater be kicking in at your lower temperature and for whatever reason not be kicking in at more moderate, 0-10C temps?
Honestly, I think it's just that the battery got warmed up due to driving in the hills - hard acceleration, deceleration and using more power than usual to account for elevation gain.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Honestly, I think it's just that the battery got warmed up due to driving in the hills - hard acceleration, deceleration and using more power than usual to account for elevation gain.
I don't know. In my trip last weekend I regularly did a drive of ~1k ft elevation and descent over winding hills - going a bit faster than what you said (more like 80kmh avg) and with the temps more like 0-10C. And from 25-30% SOC I would get more like 40-50kW even on a 150kW charger.
Would need to do the experiment in a more controlled fashion. But it seems like your charging curve in cold is a bit better off than mine.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Yeah the one odd thing is when it does DC charge, it doesn't seem to really heat the battery up enough to get the full charge.

I've seen many EV's turn up to a charger in Winter, that did not have the charger as the destination, and start out with a really low speed ... but then hits the top speeds after 5min's by warming the battery up.

The main issue there is we can often see via an OBDII device and phone app all the data ... with the Polestar we are just making educated guesses based on observations. One someone makes a Google AA App or a dongle/phone app for the car we will never know 100% what's going on.

Polestar must be aware of this ... and if they are not working on a solution then in 3 years I'll be looking for another EV company to buy from.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can give em 14 days when I receive my car. If I am not happy I will exercise my rights. Selling a car online in Norway is a gamble as the law gives me 14 days right to regret my purchase. Does not matter if it was made to order. Here's a link to the law in Norwegian: Lov om opplysningsplikt og angrerett ved fjernsalg og salg utenom faste forretningslokaler (angrerettloven) - Lovdata
I am not saying this should be done, but I am saying I have this option if it turns out something is obviously lacking for satisfaction.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The contract I am about to sign in the UK states clearly that I have 14 days in which I am able to hand the car back (distance selling rules). So I am with you KreAture on this one! My delivery isn't until March so hopefully the main issues mentioned in the forum have been sorted by then.

101 - 120 of 160 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.