Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a reply from Polestar support. I had asked which company was the data carrier for the Polestar.
The reply this morning was EE.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think they have the biggest coverage in the UK, although I've been with them for years the services is poor in many places.

Maps will still work apparently.... Must buffer a large amount.
DAB radio will work too.

Hay google and other features may not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Automotive OS supports some offline Google Assistant commands... climate control, etc. so it’s not totally useless in signal black spots...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am still waiting for a reply if it is possible to connect the infotainment to a hot-spot sharing the internet connection. I hear that this too (in good Tesla tradition) has bad antennas/reception and while the phones in the car are fine the signal of the infotainment is out at the same places.... so weird, come on people its 2020!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am still waiting for a reply if it is possible to connect the infotainment to a hot-spot sharing the internet connection. I hear that this too (in good Tesla tradition) has bad antennas/reception and while the phones in the car are fine the signal of the infotainment is out at the same places.... so weird, come on people its 2020!
You can add your own SIM card to use as a Hot Spot in the car.

You can connect your car to local WiFi (ie home)

Also you can't blame the car for poor cell reception!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have had a reply from Polestar support. I had asked which company was the data carrier for the Polestar.
The reply this morning was EE.
Ugh, EE is garbage in our village. Vodafone is miles better. Good thing I can connect it to the WiFi.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can add your own SIM card to use as a Hot Spot in the car.

You can connect your car to local WiFi (ie home)

Also you can't blame the car for poor cell reception!
I am not blaming the car for anything. You did not read my comment. The cars (much like most cars for whatever weird reason i do not know) lose the signal in areas where the phone has 100% signal. That means bad equipment and/or bad design of the antenna placement. I read comments from several people that confirmed the same for the Polestar 2. I hope it is not true as i have mine in order but i would like to have the option to connect it to my phone to share the Internet instead of being without coverage at all. Also the internet service that comes with the car is for 3 years. How much does it cost after i do not know but from what i read a few places they might charge from 150 euro per year and up to continue the connectivity plan.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I thing Jag charges £300+ per yer. Tesla is what around £10 per month? So 150 Euro's a year?

To be honest there used to be a "3" sim for £30 per year for data only and around 24gb total a year (this was 2018 and 3G only). Was good enough for my Jag to run on with the amount I used all the stuff.

However that's gone and the cheapest I can now find is £8 for 8gb per month or £5 for 2gb per month. So is £10 per month unlimited that unreasonable? Cheapest unlimited I can find (excluding first 6mth discount deals etc..) is £18 per month.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wonder if Google Fi will be an option in the US. I have been a very happy subscriber for about 4-5 years (late beta user). At about 40% of the cost of Verizon, I’ve used it on long East Coast trips for Google Map coverage with no issues except in tunnels. Much better phone service at home via WiFi than the Verizon tower as we live below a hill that blocked line of sight. No issues in Volt or Frontier, using phone not vehicle antenna.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I thing Jag charges £300+ per yer. Tesla is what around £10 per month? So 150 Euro's a year?

To be honest there used to be a "3" sim for £30 per year for data only and around 24gb total a year (this was 2018 and 3G only). Was good enough for my Jag to run on with the amount I used all the stuff.

However that's gone and the cheapest I can now find is £8 for 8gb per month or £5 for 2gb per month. So is £10 per month unlimited that unreasonable? Cheapest unlimited I can find (excluding first 6mth discount deals etc..) is £18 per month.
It is unreasonable if i cannot hotspot the car. I have unlimited data plan and my work pays for it... There is no point paying just to pay. If you have money to waste send some to me too :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
It is unreasonable if i cannot hotspot the car. I have unlimited data plan and my work pays for it... There is no point paying just to pay. If you have money to waste send some to me too :)
Pure speculation. But we know the car can accept WiFi connections and bluetooth. So AFAIK no technical reason it shouldn't be able to use your phone's signal via hotspot/tethering. Like with a lot of these things, will only be able to test it when we have the cars in hand.

Is there a forum we early adopters (and late adopters too!) can submit feature requests and bug reports? Ideally to their technical team and not customer support. A log features in progress for OTA updates would be amazing but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Having to purchase wifi in the car is not unreasonable, it's simply an opportunity to generate revenue. I'd be willing to bet that the opposite connection through your phone will likely never be available. And as far as reception is concerned one of the benefits that manufacturers tout about in-car cellular service is that the antenna instead of being a small one on your phone is a much larger one outside the car and therefore gets better reception, obviously depending upon the service provider

·
Registered
55 Posts
This have probably been confirmed and answered, but I just deactivated 4G in the car, and connected to my phones shared Wi-Fi. Maps, Google voice and Spotify works...Just like with any PC or device would through a hotspot.

·
Registered
502 Posts
This have probably been confirmed and answered, but I just deactivated 4G in the car, and connected to my phones shared Wi-Fi. Maps, Google voice and Spotify works...Just like with any PC or device would through a hotspot.
So your car's primary google system is getting it's internet connection through your phone now?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts