Polestar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Very nice! It looks like volumes are ramping up. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I am pleased to report that I picked up my Polestar 2 today, 1/1/2021. I placed the order August 16, 2019. There are about 40 Polestar 2s on the lot. They are getting 2-3 into the hands of owners a day. I live in Santa Monica, CA. Pick up was in Van Nuys, CA.

View attachment 2822 View attachment 2823 View attachment 2824 View attachment 2825
Congrats, looks great! So much for me being first in 2021 😀 but I'll hopefully be joining you very soon with a delivery in the next few days.

Kudos to Polestar for working on the 1st!

·
Registered
magnesium/slate/19"/tow/18xxx
138 Posts
Congratulations and enjoy!

I started noticing that cars are delivered with glossy tyre sidewalls in the US. We don't see that tyre treatment here in EU. Out of curiosity, does it do more than aesthetics?

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Nope. Well, perhaps if you kept it glossy for a couple of decades the outside sidewalls would show a bit less aging, but the rest of the tire would be aging normally anyway, so there'd be no real benefit.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's a spray called "tire dressing" that makes the sidewalls briefly shiny. I've always thought it was pretty silly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started noticing that cars are delivered with glossy tyre sidewalls in the US. We don't see that tyre treatment here in EU. Out of curiosity, does it do more than aesthetics?
Fascinating observation. As a resident of southern California, I would have never noticed. It is just a thing that car washes do here. I took it for granted.

"There are generally three different types of tire dressing groups – dressings, waxes, and sealants. The dressing group is made from water-borne or solvent based and silicone based materials, that are combined with oils that help to penetrate the rubber and restore the product. Basically, it serves as a lubricant to rehydrate dried-out rubber – which is a leading source of fading." (source: Tire Dressing 101 – Learning the Facts About Tire Shine Products) Here is another enthusiast article on the topic The evolution of tire shine why enthusiasts love it or hate it. A google search for "tire dressing history" yields some interesting results.

While there is some reference to benefits like helping "prevent fading, cracking, and hardening of tire sidewalls. It helps to revitalize the condition of the rubber." That argument seems silly if you are just shining a fraction of the tire. It seems to be nearly entirely aesthetic. Here in southern California where it rarely rains, it makes aesthetic sense to have shiny tires to match your shiny car that you get washed (or that you wash yourself) on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Congratulations and enjoy!

It sprays onto the body of the car when you drive away.

I hate that stuff. Some higher end detailers will use a cream or conditioner that looks a little shiny but actually helps keep the rubber in good shape, and doesn't spray all over the body when the wheels start spinning, but most places just use a cheap spray you can get at the local auto supply shop.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Meguiar's actually makes a nice tire dressing; it's what I use when I wash at home. It's a gel so no spraying, and it doesn't spray all over - it will actually last for a while. I also notice that after several applications the tire sidewalls stay darker and look newer than when they grey out over time untreated. Having a lift in my garage also helps as I don't have to bend over to apply - getting too old for all the stooping.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Do all 'BASE' models come with the 'chrome' trims around rear fog/reflectors and front grille? Or is it just the Base VOID?

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts
Do all 'BASE' models come with the 'chrome' trims around rear fog/reflectors and front grille? Or is it just the Base VOID?
I think the chrome accents are on void, midnight, and moon and not on snow, magnesium, or thunder.
FWIW, they're more brushed aluminum in texture/look, not shiny chrome.

·
Registered
Thunder, 19” wheels, charcoal interior, PPF Ceramic Coat & tinted windows, Black painted mirrors
181 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts