Polestar Forum banner

Polestar 2 Diff??

5K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Pyrrhusmj 
#1 ·
Hi Polestar'ers,

Anyone know anything about the diff/traction control on the P2? Is the diff some kind of limited slip setup? Is the P2 any good on slippery roads, etc.

Not seen any details anywhere. I'm curious if any of its Volvo pedegree will kick in if it detects snow/mud. Or if it's literally just a dumb diff with basic traction control/ESC. Not that I'm planning to take it off-road any time soon.

Been a P2 (Pilot,Plus) owner since Dec 2021 but not had it in anything other than good old UK drizzle 🤣.

(Excuse my non-technical terminology...)

Thanks,

Josh

#8 ·
… if it's literally just a dumb diff with basic traction control/ESC.…
Josh
Behaviour as you suspected confirmed:
PS2/4wd spinning on one wheel
However, when you get used to the car you will know how much trottle is needed and I backed up the same slope on snow. Drives perfectly on slippery winter conditions, but it is not suited for offroad.

#9 ·
So, something interesting this morning. Half the road was covered in ice and half was mostly clear pavement. One pedal worked fine in standard mode, car pulled pretty hard to the clear side at max Regen, but still stopped just as quick as if the whole road was clear.

Accelerating was a similar experience. Could go nearly full throttle but the car was actually letting the rear of the car get a bit sideways down the crown of the road. Outside tires were the ones with traction.

#10 ·
I don't know about how it is doing to torque split side to side, and I am not sure i need to know.
But we have snow and ice here right now, and mine, the 2 motor, works great. That is my experience.

I have been driving Audi Quattro's since in February 1991, when I couldn't get up a hill in my front drive Acura Integra. This car is as good as any of the Quatro's I've had, and maybe better. the reaction time to traction lost is fasters than any of my other cars. I guessing a lot of that is due to faster/better/modern sensors and maybe the simpler drive train.

#12 ·
I don't know about how it is doing to torque split side to side, and I am not sure i need to know.
But we have snow and ice here right now, and mine, the 2 motor, works great. That is my experience.

I have been driving Audi Quattro's since in February 1991, when I couldn't get up a hill in my front drive Acura Integra. This car is as good as any of the Quatro's I've had, and maybe better. the reaction time to traction lost is fasters than any of my other cars. I guessing a lot of that is due to faster/better/modern sensors and maybe the simpler drive train.
My other car is an A5 quattro with the crown gear self-locking centre diff and I can't say the Polestar 2 feels like a downgrade in terms of AWD.

The PS2 dual motor version is effectively like having a locked centre diff as regardless of what happens on one axle the other still could have 50% torque available (or perhaps a bit more, at least briefly, looking at the single motor specs).

Both have open diffs at both axles though so will rely on brakes to divert torque to the non spinning wheel of the same axle, so performance in this case would be largely down to how the software brakes the wheels. Polestar seems to do this great but for some reason doesn't do this at all in reverse.

I know my A5 does as it reversed out of muddy fields and it wasn't bothered so it's good to know this limitation of the Polestar (at least with current software) to avoid getting in a situation where you'd need to reverse in slippery surfaces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.