Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we had a bit of a blizzard here today and I had to go pick up some food.

No issues driving it carefully with the summer tires on fresh snow, was similar to my A5 quattro, if anything it was easier to control smoothly due to the one pedal drive and the way the throttle responds. Once on the main roads it was pretty normal as they were just wet.

Not everything was great though. It took about 5 minutes for the radar sensor to get covered in ice and report it’s not working (I cleaned it before driving off). I recall this was supposed to be heated, I really doubt that is the case!

More annoyingly a bit later the parking sensors went offline and I got a bunch of alerts about them needing cleaning, then that the whole parking sensor setup malfunctioned and needs servicing, and then I was getting an alert that they needed cleaning every minute or so. It’s fair to say that while doing 40mph on an A road I could care less about the parking sensors not being active.

So these alerts were pointless and distracting. I would clear them to be able to view the dash and they would come up a few seconds later!

What I found interesting though was when I parked I looked at the car status and it had two alerts, one for the radar sensor and one that was classed “unknown main view warning” and had the parking sensor symbol next to it. I wiped the sensors and the errors went away.

I find it incredibly disappointing that this car was tested in Sweden and somehow got the thumbs up to ship it with software in that state.

It’s a great car, sure, but the software QA was a bit of a joke.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
I got the parking sensor freak out, along with blind spot detection going out, soon after getting it ceramic coated. Both came back after the next time I let it sit for a bit of time and haven’t come back. Seems whenever something new blocks the sensor the system takes its time to recalibrate itself.

For the radar, I wonder if it is heated but maybe not enough so the snow melts and then re freezes on the sensor? Definitely something worth emailing CS about.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the parking sensor freak out, along with blind spot detection going out, soon after getting it ceramic coated. Both came back after the next time I let it sit for a bit of time and haven’t come back. Seems whenever something new blocks the sensor the system takes its time to recalibrate itself.

For the radar, I wonder if it is heated but maybe not enough so the snow melts and then re freezes on the sensor? Definitely something worth emailing CS about.
It was just a thin layer of ice on the radar, a couple of mm and easy to wipe. If it was heated I doubt it would have accumulated there in the same way it accumulated around the presumably heated sensor.

Would be interesting to hear from others in colder climates on wether theirs appear to be heated or not.

I’m more annoyed by the constant parking sensor alerts while doing highway speeds. I would expect it to let me know once, and then perhaps remind me whenever I put it in reverse that they’re out of service.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
Same here, had it on Friday night in a heavy snow flurry (returning my elderly father home as he's in our bubble and had a meal with us). It was only 5 minutes before the snow on the front sensor stopped the front radar working, and the auto headlights were then disabled, and then the parking sensors which is no joke when you have a narrow drive with hard stone walls and are reversing in the dark.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same here, had it on Friday night in a heavy snow flurry (returning my elderly father home as he's in our bubble and had a meal with us). It was only 5 minutes before the snow on the front sensor stopped the front radar working, and the auto headlights were then disabled, and then the parking sensors which is no joke when you have a narrow drive with hard stone walls and are reversing in the dark.
Did it constantly nag you about the parking sensors too, like me, or was it an one off warning?

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
Constantly, about all of those things, I think, although I was more concerned about it being like driving through a Star Trek film!

·
Super Moderator
1,365 Posts
More annoyingly a bit later the parking sensors went offline and I got a bunch of alerts about them needing cleaning, then that the whole parking sensor setup malfunctioned and needs servicing, and then I was getting an alert that they needed cleaning every minute or so. It’s fair to say that while doing 40mph on an A road I could care less about the parking sensors not being active.

So these alerts were pointless and distracting. I would clear them to be able to view the dash and they would come up a few seconds later!

What I found interesting though was when I parked I looked at the car status and it had two alerts, one for the radar sensor and one that was classed “unknown main view warning” and had the parking sensor symbol next to it.
The software QA on this vehicle has been, frankly, dismal.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I've seen someone mention before that the front radar unit is meant to be heated.

Can anyone point me towards where is said this please? I've not been able to find where this was metioned.

I've found Heated Steats, Wheel, Windows, Mirrors, and Washers ... but that's all.

---

As for Snow, my last 3 cars all suffered with the same issues in the snow / slush ... Radar / Parking Sensors going down ... so I would not expect the Polestar 2 to be any different. At least the P*2 is the first car I've had with heated windscreen washers and headlight washers! Those two alone I would have loved in Scotland a few xmas's ago.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
I've seen someone mention before that the front radar unit is meant to be heated.

Can anyone point me towards where is said this please? I've not been able to find where this was metioned.

I've found Heated Steats, Wheel, Windows, Mirrors, and Washers ... but that's all.

---

As for Snow, my last 3 cars all suffered with the same issues in the snow / slush ... Radar / Parking Sensors going down ... so I would not expect the Polestar 2 to be any different. At least the P*2 is the first car I've had with heated windscreen washers and headlight washers! Those two alone I would have loved in Scotland a few xmas's ago.
I recall seeing something about heating of the radar sensor but a quick trawl through the manual brings up nothing.
In contrast, I do see this now, suggesting that yeah snow/ice does affect the radar as though there is no heating while driving...

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recall seeing something about heating of the radar sensor but a quick trawl through the manual brings up nothing.
In contrast, I do see this now, suggesting that yeah snow/ice does affect the radar as though there is no heating while driving...
View attachment 3343
Nothing in the manual, it’s probably not heated, but I’m not imagining things, it was widely reported to be heated, plenty of articles like this on the web (probably copied/pasted from a press release): Polestar 2 aims for new level of EV safety
“Lastly, the Polestar 2 has a heated radar sensor in its front grille that powers its collision avoidance systems.”

“Lastly, the Polestar 2 has a heated radar sensor in its front grille that powers its collision avoidance systems.”

“Don't fret about the tech not working in poor weather, either; every 2 comes with a heated radar cover.”

Many of the reviews I’ve read before ordering it mentioned this, my guess is it was either dropped after the roadshow or it was never there and a mistake - polestar 1s radar is housed next to the camera behind the mirror so it is heated and cleaned by the wipers, but that’s not the case with the 2.

I’m not particularly concerned as it’s not a very useful feature in the southeast of England, but a bit surprised considering the P2 was presented as engineered and tested in Sweden and in my experience all sensors went offline a few minutes after driving in moderate snowfall.

I’d be happy if they took care of the constant alerts in a firmware update, but if I was living in a colder area I’d be very annoyed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm wondering if the rear radar units trigger the same errors as the front unit. The rears appear to be behind the tires, which would put them in the road grime vortex seen in the "dirty" thread. Good luck keeping those free of debris.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm wondering if the rear radar units trigger the same errors as the front unit. The rears appear to be behind the tires, which would put them in the road grime vortex seen in the "dirty" thread. Good luck keeping those free of debris.
there’s a radar at the back too?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Maybe hit the radar sensors with some RainX exterior detailer to make the gunk bead up and slide off better?

Reactions: 2RatsElop

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Maybe hit the radar sensors with some RainX exterior detailer to make the gunk bead up and slide off better?
I've got something similar on everything ... it helps but it's fullproof, as you'll still get some build up in the right conditions. Even heavy rain can cause issues with the ACC, and that doesn't build up just get's in the way.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has anyone cited such links and explicitly asked Polestar CS if the front radar sensor is heated?
There’s only one radar in the front according to the manual:

I guess the cross traffic collision avoidance when reversing works using the rear parking sensors and camera which is not great (I had that suddenly brake on me when reversing for no reason a number of times).

On the Polestar 1 it was next to the camera so benefitting from the heated and wiped glass:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
There are two rear radars for the cross traffic system, along with 4 ultrasonic sensors for parking.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I guess the cross traffic collision avoidance when reversing works using the rear parking sensors and camera which is not great (I had that suddenly brake on me when reversing for no reason a number of times).

On the Polestar 1 it was next to the camera so benefitting from the heated and wiped glass:

Just found a video on YouTube discussing this issue among other things and testing the polestar with a thermal camera:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are two rear radars for the cross traffic system, along with 4 ultrasonic sensors for parking.
That’s great, odd they’re not mentioned on the manual. Where are they?

edit: type approval listing is probably the best place to look for this, found reference to 24ghz radar for BLIS, presumably two: Pure progressive performance | Polestar

still wonder where they are!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts