Polestar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Car? shared their latest review of the Polestar 2. They cover the key areas of the car and they also compared it to the Tesla Model 3.

·
Registered
91 Posts
He seems to prefer the ride of the M3 calling it 'more controlled & more comfortable' and this sample was not the performance version. Overall he seems to like the M3 better whereas the reviewer in the other thread preferred the P2. I think Volvo made a mistake with making the ride too firm in this car. If it were me, I would be taking it to the dealer to have the shocks adjusted to their softest setting where hopefully the ride is more comfortable and on par with some other cars.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He seems to prefer the ride of the M3 calling it 'more controlled & more comfortable' and this sample was not the performance version. Overall he seems to like the M3 better whereas the reviewer in the other thread preferred the P2. I think Volvo made a mistake with making the ride too firm in this car. If it were me, I would be taking it to the dealer to have the shocks adjusted to their softest setting where hopefully the ride is more comfortable and on par with some other cars.
I think you won't be the only one that has their P2's adjusted to the softest setting. I don't mind a firmer suspension personally but if it's really bad it's going to limit customers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
One mistake ... they take the £3,000 of the Tesla twice ... the £46,990 is already with the £3,000 saving.

In addition while the M3 does have no tunnel in the middle of the back seats, the floor is higher so your legs bend more and are less supportive under your thighs. So other reviewers have pointed this out.
Basically if you need that 5th seat for kids, etc.. then get a Tesla, but if you don't hardly ever use that 3rd middle seat, then maybe a Polestar might suit you better!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think his main gripe was the lack of feeling of agility compared with the Tesla 3 - but then again the Polestar 2 is about 300kg more - so that would explain that.

The problem with these tests are that the differences may be amplified on test tracks, where you can push things to the limit; but for real world, everyday driving, the differences may only be very small - and other factors may outweigh them. For example the Centre-Only-Screen of the Tesla 3 is often criticised - and may adversely effect the everyday driving experience for an individual more than the ride/handling differences.

That's why personally, I wouldn't buy a car without first having tested it myself - as little things may really aggravate you - but not others.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I feel that reviewers in general go on way too much about how sporty a ride feels, either on their own test track or using a quiet country roads. I've had 3 cars in last 4 years and each one what the main reviewers say wasn't my experience day to day diving.

That's why I really like long term reviews .... these people need to live with that car for 3+ months before doing a review. However Youtube is more being about first and/or click bait titles.

Having tested the Model 3 ... it doesn't handle the way Tesla owners want you to believe. In a straight line it's fine, but you hit a hole/bump and you'll feel it - All EV's struggle with bumps/holes - even with Air Suspension ... Telsa cannot change the laws of physics.

As for going around corners fast ... it doesn't not handle like a sports car. Not even close. However it's a lot better than most "normal" cars - my wife's base 2010 Audi A3 is like driving a wet sponge around corners. The Model 3 leans heavily at the start, but then the suspension kicks in and the Model 3 holds that initial lean well - so it's ok. Not a Sports car but not a soft sponge either.

So the question you need to ask is ... how important is track or county lane racing for you?

For me and most people it's not important at all.

I am a little worried about the polestar 2 on the local poor quality roads (which there are many), as some reviewers have said its a little hard and jiggles about on these types of roads. All the reviewers agree it settles down on motorways and that's more important for long journey's.

Considering my F-Pace was like driving around town on a skateboard - as I had the top sports suspension and 22" wheels - and we didn't mind that, Iv'e taken the risk with the Polestar 2.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I feel that reviewers in general go on way too much about how sporty a ride feels, either on their own test track or using a quiet country roads. I've had 3 cars in last 4 years and each one what the main reviewers say wasn't my experience day to day diving.

That's why I really like long term reviews .... these people need to live with that car for 3+ months before doing a review. However Youtube is more being about first and/or click bait titles.

Having tested the Model 3 ... it doesn't handle the way Tesla owners want you to believe. In a straight line it's fine, but you hit a hole/bump and you'll feel it - All EV's struggle with bumps/holes - even with Air Suspension ... Telsa cannot change the laws of physics.

As for going around corners fast ... it doesn't not handle like a sports car. Not even close. However it's a lot better than most "normal" cars - my wife's base 2010 Audi A3 is like driving a wet sponge around corners. The Model 3 leans heavily at the start, but then the suspension kicks in and the Model 3 holds that initial lean well - so it's ok. Not a Sports car but not a soft sponge either.

So the question you need to ask is ... how important is track or county lane racing for you?

For me and most people it's not important at all.

I am a little worried about the polestar 2 on the local poor quality roads (which there are many), as some reviewers have said its a little hard and jiggles about on these types of roads. All the reviewers agree it settles down on motorways and that's more important for long journey's.

Considering my F-Pace was like driving around town on a skateboard - as I had the top sports suspension and 22" wheels - and we didn't mind that, Iv'e taken the risk with the Polestar 2.
I think if you "like" the car, the risk of the ride being too soft or too firm is quite small.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Agreed. But not many of those people were willing to plop down $1000 sight unseen.
Unless it's so difficult to get a test drive or get to a test drive. ;)

This is obviously not an issue for the typical car buying scenario, but let's face it, in the case of the Polestar, this is not the typical car buying scenario.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Unless it's so difficult to get a test drive or get to a test drive. ;)

This is obviously not an issue for the typical car buying scenario, but let's face it, in the case of the Polestar, this is not the typical car buying scenario.
I won't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't have parted with $1000 (even refundable) if I had big concerns about how this car might drive. I've owned several Volvos and driven many European sedans. I'm completely confident this car is not unlike anything else I've experienced. And I have no doubt that it doesn't drive like a Lamborghini or a Lexus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts