Polestar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
Polestar 2 2022
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum :)
I have been living in California for a few years, but now moving (back) to Sweden. I love my 2022 Polestar 2 and plan to bring it with me as tax free houshold goods. Money wise i seem to save some 15kUSD vs selling the currentt one and buying one in Sweden in same condition.
But does it work? and what are the issues? anybody with previous experience?
1. Charging: My guess i need an adaptor but everything else should work. Correct?
2. SIM card and 4G connectivity: I am hoping that i need to get a new SIM-car, and will no longer have a free data plan, but everything should work. Correct?
3. Softwarde upgrades: Assuming i get the wireless connectivity to work this should be fine. Yes? No?
4. Warranty: I have no guess here. Anybody knows?
5. Blinkers: Do i need to do somthing to get the orange blinkers?
6. Type approval /Bilbesiktning: Are there any issues here.

Any insights here would be highly appreciated!

· Registered
32 Posts
Would it be better or simpler to sell it and purchase a new or used PS2 in Sweden?
You have some good questions in your post it would be interesting to know if CCS1 & CCS2 are compatible with an adaptor or not.
Unown how regional the software is and how that would affect updates, they could potentially re-install the European version of the software at the service center if that is an option or required.
Rear orange tail blinkers..... maybe swap out the back end components? or You get a pass on that requirement since this would be an import... might affect re-sellability.

· Registered
143 Posts
Hushållsregeln gäller väl inte bilar?
Enligt tullverket skall du alltid betala tull och moms vid införsel av bil från land utanför EU:
Bäst är nog att kontakta tullverket i god tid innan för att inte riskera begå tullbrott.

· Registered
MY23 Midnight, Plus, Pilot, Performance, Zinc leather
54 Posts
I have the same but moving back to the Netherlands next year from the US. Before buying the car contacted polestar (Netherlands) about it.
1. For charging you can use an adapter (+/-€900,-) and you can use the fast charging that’s why they are a little expensive. Another option is to let polestar change the port and cables in the car to the internal charger. Cost also around €900,- for parts and around €600,- in labor.
2. depends if we can use the sim slot, otherwise use a hotspot. They offered also the option to change the radio/computer for +/-€1500,- parts and labor. (For the FM spacing and DAB+)
3. updates should be no problem. They told they could reprogram the car to the Netherlands.
4. Warranty would be honored (in Netherlands this case so contact your local Polestar)
5. My blinkers are already orange….so I don’t see a problem there
6. I don’t need a type approval due to the import as household and can just use an existing approval. But that’s for my country. No idea in Sweden.

The polestar is a really EU build car adjusted for the US market. They have such small numbers yet and everything comes out of the same factory for now. Things like the rear fog lights: a gimmick in the US, mandatory in Europe. My other car a RAV4 needs to get those retrofitted…

I will just let polestar adjust my type 1 to a type 2, an adapter would work but for a little better resell value later and small price difference it will be better. I can live with a radio without DAB+ so will leave that as is.

So I would contact Polestar Sweden with your questions. But the guys in the Netherlands really looked into it for me and it took a while before the figured it out.
Good luck with the moving back to Europe! And let us know how it went with the polestar.

· Registered
14 Posts
Sell the car and buy a MY 2024 in Sweden ;) It's too much hassle to get everything fixed to be driving it in EU.

If it would be a vintage car. I would said the opposite.

· Registered
11 Posts
Hushållsregeln gäller väl inte bilar?
Enligt tullverket skall du alltid betala tull och moms vid införsel av bil från land utanför EU ...
Bäst är nog att kontakta tullverket i god tid innan för att inte riskera begå tullbrott.
Man får ta med sig bilar när man flyttar hem till Sverige:
Tullverket said:
Hur många bilar får jag ta med mig som flyttsaker?

Om du är inflyttare finns det ingen gräns för hur många bilar du får ta med dig för privat bruk. Om du söker flyttsakstullfrihet för fler än en bil gör Tullverket en bedömning för att säkerställa att du inte ska använda bilarna i kommersiellt syfte.

Om du är återvändare får du ta med dig en bil per person i hushållet som kan använda bilen.

Håller med om att det bästa är att kontakta Tullverket.

· Registered
Polestar 2 2022
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would it be better or simpler to sell it and purchase a new or used PS2 in Sweden?
You have some good questions in your post it would be interesting to know if CCS1 & CCS2 are compatible with an adaptor or not.
Unown how regional the software is and how that would affect updates, they could potentially re-install the European version of the software at the service center if that is an option or required.
Rear orange tail blinkers..... maybe swap out the back end components? or You get a pass on that requirement since this would be an import... might affect re-sellability.
Thanks, yeah i am starting to get second thoughts after seeing the replies here....

· Registered
Polestar 2 2022
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the same but moving back to the Netherlands next year from the US. Before buying the car contacted polestar (Netherlands) about it.
1. For charging you can use an adapter (+/-€900,-) and you can use the fast charging that’s why they are a little expensive. Another option is to let polestar change the port and cables in the car to the internal charger. Cost also around €900,- for parts and around €600,- in labor.
2. depends if we can use the sim slot, otherwise use a hotspot. They offered also the option to change the radio/computer for +/-€1500,- parts and labor. (For the FM spacing and DAB+)
3. updates should be no problem. They told they could reprogram the car to the Netherlands.
4. Warranty would be honored (in Netherlands this case so contact your local Polestar)
5. My blinkers are already orange….so I don’t see a problem there
6. I don’t need a type approval due to the import as household and can just use an existing approval. But that’s for my country. No idea in Sweden.

The polestar is a really EU build car adjusted for the US market. They have such small numbers yet and everything comes out of the same factory for now. Things like the rear fog lights: a gimmick in the US, mandatory in Europe. My other car a RAV4 needs to get those retrofitted…

I will just let polestar adjust my type 1 to a type 2, an adapter would work but for a little better resell value later and small price difference it will be better. I can live with a radio without DAB+ so will leave that as is.

So I would contact Polestar Sweden with your questions. But the guys in the Netherlands really looked into it for me and it took a while before the figured it out.
Good luck with the moving back to Europe! And let us know how it went with the polestar.
Thanks Wally. This is the most complete answer i have got so far, and it gives me hope. I will do some more research before deciding.

· Registered
MY23 Midnight, Plus, Pilot, Performance, Zinc leather
54 Posts
Thanks Wally. This is the most complete answer i have got so far, and it gives me hope. I will do some more research before deciding.
I will for sure go this route myself. The sell and buy again is for me even a more waste of money iff I factor in the difference in purchasing price and benefits I’ve got when buying here (tax free due to NATO military).

So spending 1,5-3k getting the vehicle EU ready is way cheaper for me (ymmv). Also bought it new here so know the whole history of the car charging wise etc. I keep the car long term what makes it even more worth it. But again everyone’s case can be different and also every country is different. Cars in the Netherlands are very expensive due to the tax regulations here.

So make a good calculation/ pros and cons list and decide after that. Also keep in mind that things maybe will not work out like expected and will cost more or a change is not possible affecting later resale values.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts