Polestar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've connected my Iphone to the car and it works fine for making calls and receiving text messages, but when I receive and answer a call, then it like it's muted as I can't hear but the person on the other end can hear me. Therefore I need to say that I'll call them back then all is fine when I'm the one calling them. Its extremely frustrating as when its a withheld number then I have no idea who it is to call back. In terms of text messages, I can receive text messages fine, but when I got to send one via google assistant, it seems like it's worked and says it's sent but the person never receives the text message.

It's frustrating as it often means that I need to pull the car over to send a text from the phone.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with receiving calls?

It's been like this from day 1 in mid October and I've had the recall and software update to 1st Nov, receiving my car back two weeks ago but it didn't fix the issue.

It it helps, my Iphone is an old Iphone 6S and a work phone so can't change it but I've never had any issues with my previous car (BMW) and it worked fine with Apple CarPlay too, therefore i don't think its an Iphone 6S issue.

Thanks in advance for and advice, ideas or general comments.

Stevie.
UK Driver

·
Super Moderator
1,357 Posts
I can't help you with your sound issue - I've never had a problem. One thing you could try is renaming your phone in Settings > General > About > Name and then re-pairing - that'll make a completely clean connection with the car.

With regards to messaging, I'd strongly recommend just using 'Hey Siri' for that - works perfectly and is a much better experience. 6S and later supports always on 'Hey Siri' so you should be fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stevelup, good idea with Siri, I'm not used to using Siri as everything at home is Amazon Alexa, therefore I never even thought of it. Thanks, much appreciated. I'll also try a clean break and reconnect the phone again. :)

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
When you're in the call, there should be a volume level slider at the top of the touchscreen. Make sure it's not on minimum! There is also a settings page that lists the audio levels for various things such as navigation, calls etc, so it would be worth having a look there too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm not sure if there's a separate thread for this, but almost every time I get back into the car, I have to restart the infotainment system (20 second hold). Every. Single. Time. I thought it was tied to the car sitting for a certain amount of time (overnight), but last night I ran to the store, came back 15 mins later and it wouldn't play. I hit play and it just goes back to pause. I've tried everything else I can think of. iPhones don't seem to play too nice atm :(

·
Registered
2021 2
2,587 Posts
I'm not sure if there's a separate thread for this, but almost every time I get back into the car, I have to restart the infotainment system (20 second hold). Every. Single. Time. I thought it was tied to the car sitting for a certain amount of time (overnight), but last night I ran to the store, came back 15 mins later and it wouldn't play. I hit play and it just goes back to pause. I've tried everything else I can think of. iPhones don't seem to play too nice atm :(
I haven't seen this yet.

Are you streaming from your phone or using the native spotify or similar app on the car? I've only used the native Spotify app - haven't tried streaming from my iphone yet.

Do you see the same behavior using the physical play/pause button and the on screen play button? Make sure you only lightly touch the physical button, it's pretty sensitive as Mr Incredible @Warb discovered.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I haven't seen this yet.

Are you streaming from your phone or using the native spotify or similar app on the car? I've only used the native Spotify app - haven't tried streaming from my iphone yet.

Do you see the same behavior using the physical play/pause button and the on screen play button? Make sure you only lightly touch the physical button, it's pretty sensitive as Mr Incredible @Warb discovered.
I'm streaming from the Apple Music app over bluetooth. I don't have Spotify, but I am considering it until whatever going on gets worked out haha. I did notice that when I hit play with the physical button first it seems to work every time (versus hitting play on the screen or my phone)...but it may have been a coincidence. I'll keep trying that over the next week and see if it helps. I also have a hypothesis that the car / infotainment just needs to "warm up" before it decides to recognize my play presses, but I usually get too impatient and just reboot each time - works like a charm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you're in the call, there should be a volume level slider at the top of the touchscreen. Make sure it's not on minimum! There is also a settings page that lists the audio levels for various things such as navigation, calls etc, so it would be worth having a look there too.
Thanks, I'm sure the volume is turned up as it works when I call someone, it's just when someone calls me that I have an issue which isn't great when driving. I'll double check the volume and check the settings page as you suggest. It's maybe something that I need to change when the call is connected so may test it out again over the holidays. Cheers, Stevie.

·
Registered
Non PP, Midnight, Load Bars
138 Posts
I have had two such dropouts in the past. None since the software update. By the way has anybody else noticed the sound it makes when you adjust the call volume slider when not in a call?

·
Super Moderator
1,357 Posts
I'm streaming from the Apple Music app over bluetooth.
I use Audible and have a similar problem. What I have to do is tap play on the phone, then tap play in the car. If I do it the other way round, I get exactly what you get - the play icon momentarily changes to the pause symbol then reverts again. Occasionally, a brief burst of sound as well but usually nothing.

The key (for me) is to set the phone playing first.

Apple CarPlay can't come too soon (or at least an Audible app...)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use Audible and have a similar problem. What I have to do is tap play on the phone, then tap play in the car. If I do it the other way round, I get exactly what you get - the play icon momentarily changes to the pause symbol then reverts again. Occasionally, a brief burst of sound as well but usually nothing.

The key (for me) is to set the phone playing first.

Apple CarPlay can't come too soon (or at least an Audible app...)
I'm glad I'm not alone - and that you found a remedy! Pushing the physical play button seems to alleviate it for me. I really thought I'd have to reboot the system every time 😤 I ended up signing up for Spotify (they have a three month trial right now), but I don't plan on using it once I have to pay. I'm not a fan of the interface.

The CarPlay integration will be interesting. If the Apple Music app in the Play Store releases first, that will satisfy me for awhile.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I've connected my Iphone to the car and it works fine for making calls and receiving text messages, but when I receive and answer a call, then it like it's muted as I can't hear but the person on the other end can hear me. Therefore I need to say that I'll call them back then all is fine when I'm the one calling them. Its extremely frustrating as when its a withheld number then I have no idea who it is to call back. In terms of text messages, I can receive text messages fine, but when I got to send one via google assistant, it seems like it's worked and says it's sent but the person never receives the text message.

It's frustrating as it often means that I need to pull the car over to send a text from the phone.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with receiving calls?

It's been like this from day 1 in mid October and I've had the recall and software update to 1st Nov, receiving my car back two weeks ago but it didn't fix the issue.

It it helps, my Iphone is an old Iphone 6S and a work phone so can't change it but I've never had any issues with my previous car (BMW) and it worked fine with Apple CarPlay too, therefore i don't think its an Iphone 6S issue.

Thanks in advance for and advice, ideas or general comments.

Stevie.
UK Driver
Hi Stevie - my car has just started doing the same thing in the last two days!! Did you find a solution to the problem?

cheers
Andy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts