Polestar Forum banner
181 - 200 of 212 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
It's the first note within the official press release. (a local dealer should have read this by now!)

Thanks. Wonder why they wouldn't bring the 82kw pack battery to the US for dual motor cars.. seems weird

· Registered
126 Posts
I said it elsewhere, but it's almost certainly a battery production capacity consideration. That will probably change in the future, but my guess is that for now, they're maxing out their CATL supplier.
Wouldn't it make sense to give the top model a battery pack and save the lower CATL pack for the Single Motor? Now the lower trim gets the best battery...such a weird decision.

· Registered
1,706 Posts
Wouldn't it make sense to give the top model a battery pack and save the lower CATL pack for the Single Motor? Now the lower trim gets the best battery...such a weird decision.
"Best battery" seems debatable when the newer revised CATL battery now has a faster charging speed. Also, even if the LG pouch battery is better, that doesn't amount to much if they can't deliver enough of them, and can't deliver enough to offer an additional 4kWh of capacity. Then, not for nothing, Polestar is touting that as netting them a lower overall carbon emissions coming from the production of these newer battery packs.

· Registered
'22 PS2 LRDM / Magnesium / Pilot / Plus
147 Posts
Going to hold judgement on the new front end until I see it in person... I keep flip-flopping on whether I like it depending on what pictures I'm looking at. I think it really depends on color for me, I like it with the darker colors but not with the brighter ones. If nothing else, it brings the front end in line with the P3 and future concepts (Precept/O2) which, if Polestar is trying to build a consistent design language for their brand, makes a lot of sense. The performance badge definitely looks worse though, wouldn't be surprised for that to get redesigned in a future MY.

Don't think I like the new P3-style performance wheels any more or less than the old ones - very similar style, I'd take either tbh.

NA getting screwed on battery size is painful, though I'd guess it's a temporary thing just for this MY. Or this was some weird way of noting that MY24 isn't available in NA yet (which is normal, we usually get it a couple of months later than the EU).

· Registered
254 Posts
For the grille swap, I would if features added — but my swap color would be black since likely no more Moon, plus that would maintain the original smile.

I suspect same extra battery capacity will be lurking in the DM pack for emergency range, aging, and performance software. I can’t imagine why they’d want to deal with two different packs so similar during the chassis level of build.

· Registered
1,706 Posts
I suspect same extra battery capacity is already lurking in the DM pack for emergency range, aging, and performance software. I can’t really imagine why they’d want to deal with two different packs so similar during the chassis level of build.
They're different batteries from different manufacturers. Polestar has essentially swapped their battery suppliers. CATL will now produce the bigger battery packs, and LG Chem, who previously made the large battery packs, will make the battery pack from the SRSM.

Font Art Pattern Rectangle Magenta

· Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor
13 Posts
Signed the contract on my MY23 this morning and 45 minutes later they release MY24 😅🫠
Just as well it's a company motor I want and need now and the price has gone up meaning Dual Motor and Plus Pack is over my 55k budget.
If I hadn't grabbed a MY23 now it would have been BMW i4.
Don't like the grille at all, like the PP wheels

· Registered
126 Posts
"Best battery" seems debatable when the newer revised CATL battery now has a faster charging speed. Also, even if the LG pouch battery is better, that doesn't amount to much if they can't deliver enough of them, and can't deliver enough to offer an additional 4kWh of capacity. Then, not for nothing, Polestar is touting that as netting them a lower overall carbon emissions coming from the production of these newer battery packs.
Well the 82kwh packs have 205kw charging, it says the 78kwh will still have 155kw charging.
So faster speed and +5% larger capacity, seems like the better one to me.

· Registered
1,706 Posts
Well the 82kwh packs have 205kw charging, it says the CATL pack (78kwh) will still have 155kw charging.
So faster speed and +5% larger capacity, seems like the better one to me.
I think you may have misread that. The new 82kWh, with 205kw charging, packs are manufactured by CATL. The previous 78kWh, 155kw charging, packs were manufactured by LG Chem.

· Registered
39 Posts
All in all a great (on paper at least) update. Took delivery of MY23 late last year, if only I had known, but then again would have been without a car for over a year if I waited and the new one costs more too.

My biggest gripes on my current car are so-so range, lazy throttle response at the off, noticeable motor whine at the front and average (for an EV) performance - I have the SRSM version.

This update (with the LRSM version) seems like it COULD fix all of these issues, the switch to RWD (moving the motor away from the driver and not having to calibrate to contend with torque steer) and increased motor power/torque being the biggies. Look forward to the first test drive reviews and trying it for myself.

· Registered
2021 P*2 Thunder/Slate 19"
234 Posts
Yeah, i guess that also allows them to make the same "lesser" 2024 NA spec and world spec on the same line fairly easily. I'm hoping they're just trying to work through some parts inventory or something and we'll get the battery and charging upgrade in MY25.
Maybe there will be a price reduction to be eligible for tax credits.

· Registered
10,814 Posts
Maybe there will be a price reduction to be eligible for tax credits.
What you are going to see happening is manufacturers selling base cars cheaper to get under the price caps for tax rebate purposes, and then adding features you can buy/rent after purchase that will be delivered OTA. It's an interesting scheme.

· Registered
254 Posts
They're different batteries from different manufacturers. Polestar has essentially swapped their battery suppliers. CATL will now produce the bigger battery packs, and LG Chem, who previously made the large battery packs, will make the battery pack from the SRSM.
Font Art Pattern Rectangle Magenta

That reads to me like both SM & DM (long range) models have the same battery pack. Maybe I’m missing something with all the excitement.

· Registered
1,706 Posts
That reads to me like both SM & DM (long range) models have the same battery pack. Maybe I’m missing something, with all the excitement.
That's correct. Prior to MY24, LG Chem made all of the 78kWh (LR) batteries. CATL made the standard range (SR) battery (which was never an option in the US). Now that has flipped. CATL makes all of the 82kWh (LR) batteries, and LG Chem will make the SR battery.

Except for the US....which gets shafted by continuing to get the LG Chem built 78kWh LR pack on the DM cars. Seems pretty clear that for the US, Polestar is targeting LRSM buyers, and to differentiate it more from the LRDM that will be sold here.

181 - 200 of 212 Posts