Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone curious about how the Phone as a Key works for the Polestar 2, here' some information that I've found.

- It works for both iOS and Android as long as you have the Polestar Connect App

- There are 4 antenna locations for the start and lock system
Storage compartment in the tunnel console
In the upper front section of the left-side rear door
In the upper front section of the right-side rear door
In the cargo compartment

- For keyless use, a key must be within a radius of approx. 1.5 meters (5 feet) along the sides of the vehicle or approx. 1 meter (3 feet) from the tailgate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
From the reviews, it sounds like Phone as Key isn't ready yet, and the car is being shipped with traditional Volvo keys. Polestar 'promises' that the Phone as Key will be enabled as an OTA 'soon', but we all know what that means.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the reviews, it sounds like Phone as Key isn't ready yet, and the car is being shipped with traditional Volvo keys. Polestar 'promises' that the Phone as Key will be enabled as an OTA 'soon', but we all know what that means.
I'm glad that's the case. I'm still so used to traditional keys

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I'm glad that's the case. I'm still so used to traditional keys
I can see myself leaving the house with my phone (key) but not my wallet (w/ drivers license). Because my keys sit on my dresser with the wallet for when I go out, whereas my phone is always on me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I love the idea of an app that works like a fob.
Random shots of Polestar2 key fobs below.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Polestar 'promises' that the Phone as Key will be enabled as an OTA 'soon', but we all know what that means
Yes, Tesla-style bug fix updates palying catch-up for missing functionality. Lets hope that, unlike Tesla, successive OTA updates don't make some things worse!!
I can see myself leaving the house with my phone (key) but not my wallet (w/ drivers license). Because my keys sit on my dresser with the wallet for when I go out, whereas my phone is always on me.
If it's anything like Telsa, they recommend taking a key with you as well as their phone app sometimes fails (which it did for us). However the Tesla 'key' was a credit card which fits in the wallet, so no biggie!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Yes, Tesla-style bug fix updates palying catch-up for missing functionality. Lets hope that, unlike Tesla, successive OTA updates don't make some things worse!!
I've always been leery of this concept. Anyone who's been in the computer business for very long knows full well that new installs don't always go as planned. Your car is not your cell phone and if it goes down the consequences can be significant.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,350 Posts
Based on the stated range, I can’t imagine it’s anything but Bluetooth:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I apologise if this displays serious technical naivety, but can I ask if phone keys will be vulnerable to those pesky devices used by car thieves to 'steal' codes from keyless entry and start keys within houses while standing outside the house (usually in the dead of night)? I have shielded pouches to protect my 'keyless entry' keys for my current car when at home but putting a mobile into such a pouch would obviously not be ideal!
Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I apologise if this displays serious technical naivety, but can I ask if phone keys will be vulnerable to those pesky devices used by car thieves to 'steal' codes from keyless entry and start keys within houses while standing outside the house (usually in the dead of night)? I have shielded pouches to protect my 'keyless entry' keys for my current car when at home but putting a mobile into such a pouch would obviously not be ideal!
Thanks for any replies.
I don't believe so. The phone uses NFC / Bluetooth and works in a different way. The keys use high frequency and low frequency radio waves which is what car thieves exploit with relay theft.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I don't believe so. The phone uses NFC / Bluetooth and works in a different way. The keys use high frequency and low frequency radio waves which is what car thieves exploit with relay theft.
I'm not so sure that this isn't hackable as well. I know I try to keep NFC off unless I'm specifically using it. Bluetooth is a bigger problem. I don't turn that off because I need to use it so often.

·
Registered
445 Posts
NFC is safe.

However you need to ask yourself. How many times have you left your phone and had to back for it?

So many Tesla's stolen this way.
I guess we have to wait to see how polestar implement it. I believe tesla does have an option to require a pin to be able to drive the car.. Sort of defeats the convenience though so I guess many don't turn that on. I know I wouldn't

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
NFC is safe.

However you need to ask yourself. How many times have you left your phone and had to back for it?

So many Tesla's stolen this way.
My kids put their phones down and leave them. I never do that because I use a holster. It's either in my hand or in the holster.

And I still don't trust any over the air transmission. It can always be intercepted.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I guess we have to wait to see how polestar implement it. I believe tesla does have an option to require a pin to be able to drive the car.. Sort of defeats the convenience though so I guess many don't turn that on. I know I wouldn't
Yes the M3 does have that feature. I must admit i didn't bother to turn it on!

·
Registered
California
217 Posts
I wonder if Polestar will be using Apple’s official CarKey feature. It’d be great if they do because then my Watch would be a key too, automatically.

One of the problems with trying to hack in a feature like this though other means is that it’s tricky to get Bluetooth / NFC stuff really truly running all the time in the background on iPhone. With Tesla, I have to make a conscious effort to launch the Tesla app from time to time, otherwise the car won’t see my iPhone until I do.

A thing I do appreciate about Tesla’s solution is that there’s a credit-card-sized, no-power RFID card. I just keep this card in my wallet as backup in case I don’t feel like fiddling with getting the app to be recognized again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts