Polestar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in a conundrum with my decision as to whether to go with the Polestar 2 (PP) or Tesla Model 3 Performance. I regularly (once a fortnight) drive a distance of 198 miles to Head Office, and then return home (same distance) at the end of the week ...I can immediately ‘plug in’ and charge at HO when I arrive.. I then spend the week locally, so can charge up to full before the return leg. The commute to HO is almost entirely following the A1 and so will be at a maximum speed of 70, with some sections at 50 mph and usual traffic.. I guess the average speed would come out at about 60mph. The thing is.. I would prefer not to have to ‘charge’ on the 198 mile route to work.

Is this a realistic expectation for the Polestar2... given the recent EPA range certification ? I really want to like the Polestar, especially given the superior finish and cab experience.. but I am a little worried about driving 198 miles (x2) every 2 weeks and the battery range and longevity.

I would be grateful for any thoughts and advice.. ?

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Tough call! I think you'd be ok by being clever and drafting behind a lorry when necessary. If there's a decent charger 3/4 of the way along in both directions, you'd also have a backup plan. I guess it boils down to your tolerance of risk and how much you prefer the Polestar. You are right on the edge there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tough call! I think you'd be ok by being clever and drafting behind a lorry when necessary. If there's a decent charger 3/4 of the way along in both directions, you'd also have a backup plan. I guess it boils down to your tolerance of risk and how much you prefer the Polestar. You are right on the edge there.
Thanks Professor, it is a difficult distance - possible, but as you say.. it feels like it might be on the edge. There is a 150kw charger half way, just off the A1 (Shell Recharge), so that could be an option. But I would still prefer to do the journey without a stop.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Recognize I'm just guessing here, but I bet you'd be able to do it without a stop almost always. Maybe you'd have to stop in lousy cold weather with a headwind, but mostly I think you'll be fine, especially if you're cautious with your driving style on those trips.

I also suspect the first trips will be the most unnerving and that your confidence and comfort will grow quickly thereafter.

·
Registered
723 Posts
In winter you'll be hard pressed to get 200miles at motorway speeds from the Polestar at present.

Maybe next year once the App is out and you can pre-condition remotely and/or Polestar (maybe) tweak the performance. Two may "Maybe's" there imho.

Personally you seem hell bent on speed, the Polestar can't compete with the Model 3 Performance.

However I wouldn't actually recommend the Polestar PP or the M3P. I'd go non-PP Polestar or the M3 LR.

Don't see the point in the extra money for either performance version.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think the polestar 2 would struggle with 200 miles in summer let alone winter. Based on my limited experience it would not be my choice given your limitations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recognize I'm just guessing here, but I bet you'd be able to do it without a stop almost always. Maybe you'd have to stop in lousy cold weather with a headwind, but mostly I think you'll be fine, especially if you're cautious with your driving style on those trips.

I also suspect the first trips will be the most unnerving and that your confidence and comfort will grow quickly thereafter.
I think you are right. I am quite an “economic” driver... as I easily do 20k business miles a year, speeding is out of the question !

I guess the first few journeys I will stop and recharge... until I get a hand on the regen and how to drive an ev economically.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the polestar 2 would struggle with 200 miles in summer let alone winter. Based on my limited experience it would not be my choice given your limitations.
Thank Rentagas, appreciate the straightforward response. Do you have a Polestar, or are you using your experience from within this forum? Both are perfectly valid by the way.. just wanted to know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In winter you'll be hard pressed to get 200miles at motorway speeds from the Polestar at present.

Maybe next year once the App is out and you can pre-condition remotely and/or Polestar (maybe) tweak the performance. Two may "Maybe's" there imho.

Personally you seem hell bent on speed, the Polestar can't compete with the Model 3 Performance.

However I wouldn't actually recommend the Polestar PP or the M3P. I'd go non-PP Polestar or the M3 LR.

Don't see the point in the extra money for either performance version.
lol! I wouldn’t say that I am hell bent on speed, it may be sad... but I prefer the look of the performance car vs std. For me personally, it is more than something that gets me from A to B.

I wouldn’t need my car until end Q1 2021, so hopefully the precondition App would be working and that could improve the range on colder mornings.

Appreciate your advice - thanks.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Here are the results of a Polestar-commissioned test operating at 70 mph continuously on a track going from 100%->0%. I think this is a best case scenario. You might do a bit better at slightly slower speeds. But the acceleration/deceleration losses might be an effect here too - you have extra losses speeding up/down that aren't fully captured back by regen.

Personally, I think it's a stretch. In your shoes, I'd get a TM3LR or TM3P and think strongly about how to get it serviced/fixed in case of build quality issues.

Reactions: OldManP2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it would do 200 miles if you was willing not to drive at 65mph compared to 75mph.
I am test driving the Polestar at the end of the month, so I will have plenty of questions for them. I think I could alter my driving style, if it meant I could get 200 miles once in a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are the results of a Polestar-commissioned test operating at 70 mph continuously on a track going from 100%->0%. I think this is a best case scenario. You might do a bit better at slightly slower speeds. But the acceleration/deceleration losses might be an effect here too - you have extra losses speeding up/down that aren't fully captured back by regen.

Personally, I think it's a stretch. In your shoes, I'd get a TM3LR or TM3P and think strongly about how to get it serviced/fixed in case of build quality issues.

View attachment 1091

View attachment 1091
Hey Polerad, that’s a really nice graphic - thanks for sharing.
It is going to be a tough choice for sure !

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think you are right. I am quite an “economic” driver... as I easily do 20k business miles a year, speeding is out of the question !

I guess the first few journeys I will stop and recharge... until I get a hand on the regen and how to drive an ev economically.
Keep in mind as well that it sounds like a 5-10 minute top off would be all you need, if there's a strategic place to do it. That's not an unreasonable stop for a ~3-4hr drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keep in mind as well that it sounds like a 5-10 minute top off would be all you need, if there's a strategic place to do it. That's not an unreasonable stop for a ~3-4hr drive.
That’s a good - point. A quick stop for a 10 minute coffee and recharge would be totally acceptable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also, I don't think you want to regularly be taking your battery from 100% -> 0% (and then back up) if you plan on keeping the car long term. These full charge cycles will definitely impact your long term battery life.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank Rentagas, appreciate the straightforward response. Do you have a Polestar, or are you using your experience from within this forum? Both are perfectly valid by the way.. just wanted to know.
I did a 200 mile journey recently in my polestar. It’s main use will be a 200 mile round trip into London and back.
One issue is the battery does not precondition like the I-PACE (though some say it does) so I was using 1% per mile initially even at 62-65. I made it back home with 18% but that was with a 10A granny charge fir 5 hours at my half way destination

Fortunately I usually charge at a destination charger otherwise I can see I’d have a problem in terms of range otherwise

Most of the published range tests seem to have been done with a warmed battery

1 - 17 of 17 Posts