Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been through almost every written and YouTube review to find what we can really expect from the Polestar 2.

There is a Polestar 2 Range Calculator and this is still a little optimistic in some cases (but close in others).

So lets begin by stating most reviews out there had moderate weather. Normally dry with temperatures in the 16-22deg C (60-75F) range. The below figures are close to normal driving conditions ... ie. you have the climate controls set to auto and 20/21deg C, you have a phone in the wireless charger, and a passenger - that sort of thing.

258 wh/mi - 16 kwh/100km
Range : 270 miles / 450km
Driving Style : You are an EV driving god! (well you're slow and sit behind trucks all day)

289 wh/mi - 18 kwh/100km
Range : 250 miles / 400km
Driving Style : Sunday Driver .... 60mph in the middle lane! You go Boy (or Girl!)

300 wh/mi - 19 kwh/100km
Range : 240 miles / 385km
Driving Style : Gentle and Relaxed, sticking to that 70mph on your speedometer!

320 wh/mi - 20 kwh/100km
Range : 225 miles / 360km
Driving Style : Normal for most people. 75mph on a Motorway (as you know it under reports 5mph), and a little right foot once in a while for overtaking / fun.

370 wh/mi - 23 kwh/100km
Range : 195 miles / 315km
Driving Style : 80mph on the motorway and for some reason your right foot is somewhat heavy around town.

386 wh/mi - 24 kwh/100km
Range : 180 miles / 290km
Driving Style : Probably Winter ... and motorway driving.

418 wh/mi - 26 kwh/100km
Range : 170 miles / 250km
Driving Style : You either live in Germany and drive on Autobahn's ... or you didn't pre-condition your car and driving in very hot/cold weather plus a good motorway speed.

• The hotter or colder the weather the more your range will be affected and up to -20% range could be expected on the more extreme temps.
  • Light Rain could decrease range by 10% with Heavy Rain being as high as 20%.
  • Filling the car with 4 Adults and a boot/frunk full of heavy stuff .. you could expect up to another 20% loss.
Basically take the middle ground (320 wh/mi - 20 wkh/100km) as your base line. Then go up or down a level depending on weather, car load, driving style, etc...

For example in Heavy Rain AND 0deg's outside temperature you could easily go from 20 kwh/100km to 24 kwh/100km. If you then drive really carefully you might be able to take this back to 22 kwh/100km.

So in conclusion real life range will be more in the 180-240miles (290-385km) range.

I Hope this can help some people.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So Bjorn did a very short economy run at 90km/h or 55mph. He achieved 17.6 kWh/100km - His video is below if you haven't seen it in the other 2 threads.

This falls in line with my post above based on research from all the reviewers. So if you want real life ranges the above is a good point of reference.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Saw this instagram post. Not sure how direct the info is, but I believe it's inline with what one review (I can't find at the moment) referred to for this test Polestar did themselves:
http://instagr.am/p/CD1z5FCnkAW/
Apparently at 70 mph, 29C=85F non rainy weather, for going from 100%-->0%, they got these real world highway ranges:
Model 3P: 234 mi
P2 no PP: 205 mi (presuming 19" wheels)
P2 w PP: 197 mi
IPace: 188 mi
etron: 187 mi

presuming the M3LR in the same test would be ~250 mi.

~200 highway miles on a full charge. Sound just fine to me.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem with these tests for any British person out these is that we don't do 70mph constantly on a motorway.

Its either 0-20mph stuck in traffic. 50mph in road works. Or 90mph in the outside lane trying to make up lost time from the two previous sections.....

So it's really hard to determine a real range 😂

·
Registered
732 Posts
Problem with these tests for any British person out these is that we don't do 70mph constantly on a motorway.

Its either 0-20mph stuck in traffic. 50mph in road works. Or 90mph in the outside lane trying to make up lost time from the two previous sections.....

So it's really hard to determine a real range 😂
70mph is hardly available except in very short stretches anywhere on the east coast of the US. So it's definitely more than 200 here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking at a P2 as a company car, with a 180 mile round trip to work and back each day with no charging at work. Apart from 20 miles of country lanes the rest is all dual / motorway driving, between 40 to 70mph, I think this will do me fine.

There are superchargers and other stations on my route if I get range anxiety, but it will save me a lot of money on fuel, Thanks for the comparison's above and I've seen the Bjorn clip too, not expecting any problems. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depending on your winter temperature 180 may be pushing it.
If he keeps it at 60mph and pre-heats the cabin while on AC at work, then use only heated seats to work ... it's possible. But as there have been no tests in really cold weather no one will know for sure.

I've booked to go away in the UK over Xmas, so that will be a good test for me!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok based on Bjorn's vidoes and other information I've been gathering from all sources, I've updated the first post. My figures were not that far off, but Bjorn especially gave data at 90/120km/h so I could adjust the bands a little.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The numbers in the first post reflect my own driving experience well. 16 kWh/100km is achievable, but quite optimistic. I measured 16.5 on a 250 km drive in 11-17C, 19", climate on, rear tires in "comfort mode" (not ECO mode) = 280 kPa front and rear. Careful driving, rarely over 80km/h speed, due to traffic and speed limits. Once we go to higher speeds, with significant stretches of 110 km/h, consumption quickly increases to 18-19 kWh/100km. Stop and go city driving, perhaps 20-21 kWh/100km. Short drives, colder weather, 22-23 kWh/100km. Also, it has been reported that 20" wheels may increase consumption somewhat more than expected.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I measured 16.5 on a 250 km drive in 11-17C, 19", climate on, rear tires in "comfort mode" (not ECO mode) = 280 kPa front and rear.
What is this comfort mode/eco mode?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tire pressure. As the manual states, the door frame sticker has two numbers, recommended tire pressure for ECO and comfort.
Thanks. And of course, the label on the inside of the door frame has the information.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So Bjorn has been traveling today in a Polestar with the Performance Pack.

It's was raining for most of the early drive, It's been 5-6deg during the day and 0 deg's at night, he has also been driving into a headwind most of the day, and finally a mix of driving speeds, averaging 90km/h (55mph) so far.

His average consumption is currently at :-

386 wh/mi - 24 kw/100km
Range : 180 miles / 290km

So this seems to be the worst top end range I can think for the UK. Very cold, very wet, and a typical average speed of mostly motorway / A roads.

---

At some point early when also going up hill and into a really strong head and the current figure was 35 kw/100km !! But what goes up must regen down :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts