Polestar Forum banner

Does your car has "tempered" marking on your "side windows"?

• yes, and the item number is "43R000055"

• yes, but the item numer is different.

• no, it has "laminaed" marking

• no, it has other marking

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is created for a discussion under another post.

The content of my original post was about a dicrepancy of the manual claiming the car having laminated side windows and the actual car having only tempered glass. It was noticed by another Chinese owner and I extended the discussion. Part of my original post was:

“...... Our newest finding is about the glass.When some people complained about the level of noise when driving on highways, people checked their windows and found out they are only single tempered glass although in the driver's manuals it clearly stated that "The windshield, panoramic roof and door side windows have laminated glasses. Laminated glass is reinforced,..." Even the sales were saying the windows would be laminated glass -- I specifically remembered that because I asked that during a test driving session. Wonder if the cars shipped outside of the country has the same issue?Our glass were manufactured by Fuyao, with a product code 43R000055 meaning its a single tempered glass. Is it the same situatiion in Sweden, UK or the US?”

I wonder if this issue is global and involves all the car that has been delivered. If so, there is something we should speak with the polestar management about since laminated glass are indeed are a lot better to only tempered glass. Please speak your mind under this post. Also participate in the poll to determine on the reality of this issue

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good point! Here the text from the user manual:
3EF221C8-3222-45A3-99CC-F22B446668C7.jpeg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Crikey, this is a bit worrying and a very poor bit of mis-selling if it has been consistently done... Mine arrives next week.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I asked a Dutch guy to check the glass in his side windows and they are also ‘tempered’ so i assume all the P2’s in The Netherlands are delivered with the cheaper tempered glass in the door-windows and not the promised laminated glass (which was announced as ‘better protection against break and improved soundproofing’). Which is dissapointing from Polestar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I asked a Dutch guy to check the glass in his side windows and they are also ‘tempered’ so i assume all the P2’s in The Netherlands are delivered with the cheaper tempered glass in the door-windows and not the promised laminated glass (which was announced as ‘better protection against break and improved soundproofing’). Which is dissapointing from Polestar.
(Btw: the Dutch glass has the same Fuyao productnumber as in China)

·
Registered
270 Posts
My money is that this is a simple mistranslation that's slipped through - it should say tempered, not laminated. Laminated is substantially heavier and more expensive. On the other hand, tempered glass doesn't provide any soundproofing, so... worth picking up with them, but all that will happen is an apology, a correction to the website and a legal thing pointing out that all specs are subject to change (standard Ts & Cs).

·
Registered
33 Posts
“but all that will happen is an apology, a correction to the website and a legal thing pointing out that all specs are subject to change (standard Ts & Cs)”

I am afraid you are right 😢

·
Registered
81 Posts
Honestly I don’t think I’d want laminated side windows on a car that’s already exceptionally quiet (you can probably do more for noise by opting out of 20” wheels). Tempered glass is lighter (range), and actually stronger, but shatters efficiently and generally without sharp edges when it takes a good hit, meaning you can break it in an emergency. Laminated glass is good for thicker windows you definitely don’t want shattering in your face with glass flying at you (like the windshield), but is more susceptible to dings/cracks. A lamination layer does not make the glass “stronger” per se (the opposite, actually), but if something does happen it just sticks to the film instead of falling apart. Tradeoffs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That may be true and an advantage(?) but i quote two others in a thread about this topic:

“Laminated side glass is permitted in Europe - it's a feature on many high end vehicles (Volvo, Audi, Mercedes)”

“Double paned windows actually do make a difference. In fact Tesla, responding to complaints about noise in the cabin of the Model 3, is now adding double-paned side glass as part of a refresh for the M3. Quieter, upscale cars, often do have double-paned side glass windows.”

And Polestar self said this about their laminated glass: “better protection against break-ins and improved soundproofing in the passengers cabin”

·
Registered
97 Posts
Considering the manual talks about dangers of exhaust fumes in one section (!) I think it was written by some school kid on work experience.

I own other cars that make mention of features in the manual that never made it to production too... they caveat with the standard ‘errors and omissions accepted’ and unless your sales documents make specific mention, the manual could say it converts to a submersible if you ask Google nicely yet you’ll get nothing more than ‘please disregard that section’ if you question it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts