Polestar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have I got this right? 27% "tax" for US purchasers.

Please let's not have any political views, just want to understand the economics.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
It seems, from what I understand, that the tariff is rolled into our costs. Too bad. Instead of $60k, we'd be looking at sub-$50k.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It seems, from what I understand, that the tariff is rolled into our costs. Too bad. Instead of $60k, we'd be looking at sub-$50k.
Yes indeed. In every nonUS market the P*2 is essentially the same price as the TM3LR, but here it’s ~$7k more (with the federal incentive). Without the tariffs am guessing the starting price would be $7-8k less.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Yes indeed. In every nonUS market the P*2 is essentially the same price as the TM3LR, but here it’s ~$7k more (with the federal incentive). Without the tariffs am guessing the starting price would be $7-8k less.
I apologize in advance for writing this, but I can't resist... China's not paying the tariffs. We are.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I apologize in advance for writing this, but I can't resist... China's not paying the tariffs. We are.
Not trying getting political ... but it's same as Mexio will pay for the wall ... via Tariffs ... that the american's pay. :unsure:

Just like a no brexit deal will mean WTO trade tarriff's, and the UK has 55% importing compared to the EU's 45% importing. So we import more from the EU than we export ... so it's the UK who will be worse off.

ps. I failed at not getting political.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just like a no brexit deal will mean WTO trade tarriff's, and the UK has 55% importing compared to the EU's 45% importing. So we import more from the EU than we export ... so it's the UK who will be worse off.

ps. I failed at not getting political.
I don't class it as political, whichever side of the fence you are on. It is a fact that if there is no deal then WTO tarriffs will come into play. As an aside, does anyone know who actually benefits from the payment of tarriffs? Is it the government receiving the export or the government exporting? To be honest I don't think anybody "wins". Free trade should be free trade.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In Norway the car is 100% ''tax-free'' and the starting price is 52.000 USD. That is without any extras at all. I think Polestar has adjusted the price into the US a bit to compensate for the 27% import tax or else the price would start from 66.000 USD and also to get the sub 60k incentive. Not the best deal but they are up against Tesla there that is considered ''domestic'' even though the Model 3 is coming from a factory close to the one Polestar 2 is being made 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 funny world we live in....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hopefully not getting overly political, but yes — the US is in a trade war with China that is designed to do basically this (make Chinese products more expensive for US consumers with the goal of changing spending habits and hurting Chinese economic interests). It sucks that we have to pay a lot more for this car if we want it, but that’s the deal. Vote.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can we please leave politics out of this forum. I understand that tariffs have had an impact on the price of this car but that’s why in a Capitalist society you have the option of purchasing or not. I’ve just seen too many forums get derailed by political discussions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can we please leave politics out of this forum. I understand that tariffs have had an impact on the price of this car but that’s why in a Capitalist society you have the option of purchasing or not. I’ve just seen too many forums get derailed by political discussions.
My question answered. Thank you.

Let's please close the discussion so we can all remain friends.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
That's fair. 'Glad to stay friends with everybody here, even if we disagree on politics. (We need more of that these days.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I understand what you're saying, but when I look at the UK and Germany prices (on their respective Polestar sites) and convert to USD, the price is essentially the same. It seems to me the US is paying the same as our European friends.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I understand what you're saying, but when I look at the UK and Germany prices (on their respective Polestar sites) and convert to USD, the price is essentially the same. It seems to me the US is paying the same as our European friends.
Who knows what they would do in a non tariffed world. Clearly, even with the tariffs, they are selling quite a number of P*2s here. But I suspect that without tariffs they would have set their prices based on the competitive ones from the model 3. Maybe they take a bit less profit margin here for greater market share. I mean, Tesla has been taking negative profit margins while trying to establish themselves. Why wouldn’t Polestar do something likewise while Uncle Geely writes the checks?

·
Registered
416 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts