Polestar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Polestar 2 gets 1,300 lbs more towing capacity than the Model 3 and get an optional electric-folding tow bar!

"The Polestar 2 will be capable of towing 3,300 pounds (1,500 kg), the company announced early Wednesday, making it the most capable tower in Europe's compact electric segment and besting Tesla's compact Model 3 by 1,300 lbs (590 kilos). Towing with a compact sedan isn't usually something you'll find on American consumers' radars, but in Europe, "caravanning" and the like with small four- and five-door models is fairly commonplace. The Polestar 2's fastback sedan packaging is an already-capable setup, and best-in-class towing will only augment that practicality. Like Tesla, Polestar will offer its electric-folding tow bar as a factory-installed option. In Germany, the accessory will cost approximately $1,200 (1,100 euros based on current exchange rates). Tesla's Model 3 tow bar costs about the same; that's likely not a coincidence." ~ AB

1576699846857.png

·
Registered
89 Posts
The main difference between the Tesla Model 3 and Poelstar 2 are :-
  • The PS2 Is Semi-electric** and the M3 is just manual.
  • PS2 can tow up to 1500 kg (3,300 lbs) vs M3's 910 kg (2,000 lbs)
  • The PS2 has a noise load of 90kg where the M3 is 55kg*
**Note I assume they mean it deploys electronically but you have to manually turn a handle on it to lock it into place.

*This was one of the main reasons we picked a Polestar over other options out there, as we needed a min 60kgs to be safe, as I have an electric bike. I'm sure that we would have been under 60kg today, but as my son grows and his bikes get bigger, we'll be edging toward that max bike rack capacity.

The Model 3 is fine for trailers, small caravans, 2 wide electric bike racks or 3+ normal bikes.

The Poelstar 2 can pull some full size caravans! Although expect range to be at least 1/2 of what you normally get - could be lower than 100 miles if pulling a full 1500kg Caravan!

I've seen a video of a Model X pulling a small trailer loaded up to 900kg and it getting 50% of it's range! Although note that the trailer it was pulling wasn't very aerodynamic.

But if you really need that nose load or >910kg pulling load ... then a Polestar 2 does deliver what no other EV can do at the moment (at least in the UK that I'm aware off).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts