Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a deposit on a P2, but have also been looking at the Etron Sportback. With the recall and some of previous posts on this forum I'm not 100% if the P2 is the way to go, but it may just be some cold feet since I'm not able to test drive it till Nov 4 in Canada. Did anyone else compare these two cars and if so why did you choose the P2? Aside from the price difference (which is a major selling point in itself) is anyone else concerned with the seemingly lack of customer service and the other things that come up with a new brand?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Did you see these?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have a deposit on a P2, but have also been looking at the Etron Sportback. With the recall and some of previous posts on this forum I'm not 100% if the P2 is the way to go, but it may just be some cold feet since I'm not able to test drive it till Nov 4 in Canada. Did anyone else compare these two cars and if so why did you choose the P2? Aside from the price difference (which is a major selling point in itself) is anyone else concerned with the seemingly lack of customer service and the other things that come up with a new brand?

Thanks in advance.
Have you seen this guy's experience with the e-tron? It made me pretty concerned. I initially wanted to try out the sportback but it was too long for my garage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did and they seem very similar, but the Polestar 2 driver having to stop more times cause of charging speed. I guess that concerns me. There are times where I do a 500km drive round trip and wouldn't want to do the multiple stops with what he mentioned as coldgating. I hadn't heard of that before but it seems like a real issue.

Again I'm a EV newbie here so sorry if it's a silly question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you seen this guy's experience with the e-tron? It made me pretty concerned. I initially wanted to try out the sportback but it was too long for my garage.

I watched that awhile ago and cancelled my etron sport back order. I'm guessing there's no perfect option but the P2 was giving me hope

·
Registered
123 Posts
I watched that awhile ago and cancelled my etron sport back order. I'm guessing there's no perfect option but the P2 was giving me hope
I'm still on board for the P2, but researched a bunch to understand the charging limitations and extra time requirements.

A really useful tool for route planning is A Better Route Planner - it helped me to understand how long to expect to stop, and how often, for longer trips that I take regularly. In the end, a 5.5hr trip I take twice a year only needs a single 26 min stop if I start at 90% - totally doable and I always stop for food anyway. (Hoping real life will mimic this of course :))

·
Registered
351 Posts
I almost ordered an Etron 55 SUV (not the sportback). I have a P2 on order.

I test drove both. The e-tron was really nice and comfy inside with lots of space, but optioned up how I'd want it (black edition, 360 camera), was about £250/month more than the P2. Also the polestar is much faster and has more range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also curious. I drove multiple Teslas, then Ipace, Etron, and finally Etron sportback most recently and it seemed with each new car it was a moderate improvement in quality/drive. I haven't been able to test drive the polestar 2 just yet (had to rebook x3 now since I'm not nearby a pop-up shop and traveling during a pandemic has been less than ideal) but given quality and miles per price I don't think you could make a better argument for the polestar2. I think when I built my audi sportback before the rebate I was in the high 80k range which I just couldn't justify when polestar seemed a better deal. I currently drive an audi and love my car and would definitely bite on the sportback if it were in the same price bracket as the polestar.

*Edit - The current polestar 60 month 0% financing also didn't hurt my decision to go P2 rather than Audi

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don’t think value-for-money is quite there with the current e-tron/sportback. But if the GT were open for orders at the right price point, Audi would have my money in a hot minute.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah the e-tron GT looks good. Will consider it when my P2 lease is up!

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
I think that's a good-looking car, though I'm not that thrilled by the front grill on it.

Reactions: SKuggemannen

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
'And though it looks great and will be quicker, it looks like it will be quite a bit more expensive and I'm pretty sure it won't be as practical as a daily driver.

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
896 Posts
I think that's a good-looking car, though I'm not that thrilled by the front grill on it.

View attachment 1358
off-topic but given the costs and price-points, seems the Taycan is more a comparator to the etron GT than the P*2, yeah?

If I'm looking at $100k I'd go with the Taycan. I think the Taycan 4S is meant to match the etron GT specs, has 4 doors and an at least somewhat usable rear bench, and an even cheaper base price.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
off-topic but given the costs and price-points, seems the Taycan is more a comparator to the E-Tron GT than the P*2, yeah?

If I'm looking at $100k I'd go with the Taycan. I think the Taycan 4S is meant to match the E-Tron GT specs, has 4 doors and an at least somewhat usable rear bench, and an even cheaper base price.
I agree. When Porsche jumped in with the Taycan, I started to tell my students in my intro course that I believed the auto world is now officially shifting. Tesla got things off to a good start, but having Porsche jump in with a sexy, fast, attractive car from such an established automaker... that signaled a sea change to me.

I think I'm correct in that assessment... that ICE cars are on their way out. Especially when you see Audi, Volvo, Polestar, VW shifting gears (pun intended). And BMW made a critical error, losing their lead with the i3. Former CEO out, new CEO in, and BMW is scrambling to get back into the game. Even the U.S. domestic carmakers are trying to get into the game.

And with all these options out there... those here and those coming along in the next year or so... I still come back to the Polestar 2 as the best fit for what I want: something fun to drive, an understated aesthetic, a focus on performance, great functionality, and great safety features.

Now if they could start moving the cars out to you and others here in North America, eh?

(Called Mike. He's on our side, of course. 'Not quite sure what the holdup is. First set of cars are here being processed. My ship should make port in a week or two.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
off-topic but given the costs and price-points, seems the Taycan is more a comparator to the etron GT than the P*2, yeah?

If I'm looking at $100k I'd go with the Taycan. I think the Taycan 4S is meant to match the etron GT specs, has 4 doors and an at least somewhat usable rear bench, and an even cheaper base price.
I totally agree with getting the Audi GT if they can keep it in the 60-70 range but let's be honest it'll easily be over 100 (then more for options) and though the Porsche would be a more fun choice unless Audi is able to (although I'm highly doubtful) squeeze a ton of mileage into a car that their cousin Porsche couldn't it's going to be a wash between the two. I've seen the mileage on the Taycan is pretty abysmal, I'm hoping the GT will be a different story.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
For all Audi's look the same ... the R8 was a budget supercar ... yet it looked like an a kit car version of a TT. All the SUV's just blur into the same blob.

And it get's worse. Most of the Audi's share the same look as Skoda's. My Mate has an Audi S4 ... I constantly tease him that it's a glorified Octavia Estate. Honestly one night we saw one in the high street and even he thought for a second is was an A4/S4/RS4.

While I might like a particular Audi ... it always bothers me that sooner or later another one will come out from Skoda/VW/Seat that will almost look the same!

·
Registered
351 Posts
The Etron GT basically is a Taycan AFAICT so it would need to be either cheaper or have more range to be worth consdering over the Porsche. Will wait and see!

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Etron GT basically is a Taycan AFAICT so it would need to be either cheaper or have more range to be worth consdering over the Porsche. Will wait and see!
That’s correct, same platform (similar to Q5 and Q7 vs. Macan and Cayenne). Keep in mind that scaling the platform may help them reduce cost/price on the Porsche side as well. Best guesses for starting price that I’ve seen amongst automotive press have been in the $75K-$100K range. Expected to do 0-60 in 3.5s, and combined with Audi/Porsche driving dynamics, potentially negotiable price points, and likely solid build quality (by which I mean at minimum closer to a Polestar than a Tesla), I think it will probably be an attractive package.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance.
As far as looks goes, Etron Sportback looks slightly better than the Ipace, and I find myself turning when I see them both still. But who wouldn't want a car that looks like a mix between a Saab 9-5 and a Dodge Charger instead? 🚘😁 (as mentioned by @Ian in some other post)

I think the value for money factor for the P2 is way better than Etron. Regarding customer service I was concerned and disapointed for a couple of weeks until Polestar responded with the new support page that basically addressed most of my questions. So they listen, and they try. Most issues have been minor for my part and as long as they are fairly transparent with the roadmap and issues I can handle waiting a bit. I have never been more exited about a car, and knowing it's just going to get better with updates is Nice. Also With Geely and Volvo in the background, I am confident they will sort everything given some time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts