Polestar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been paying attention to the new BMW i4? It looks like they're going to have an impressive car on their hands...Except for that insane front grille...I'm very curious to see how the production version looks and compares to the Polestar 2.

Horsepower: 530 hp
Battery Size: 80 kWh (It will use BMW's Generation 5 battery packs).
Range: 372 miles
0-62 mph: 4 seconds
Charging: 150-kilowatt and up to 80-percent charge in 35 minutes

·
Registered
574 Posts
This seems more of a model S competitor than a model 3/P2 competitor?

If it can meet those specs (within some tolerance, 10%?), not look like an angry pig, and have a price somewhere close to the P2, then I'll look at it when my P2 lease is up :]

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think its a little way off; by which time all cars would have improved.

Whilst I can se the additional range is of use; to me a car that does 0-60mph in 4.7 has also the on-road useable performance as one that does 0-60mph in 4.0.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'd say the iX3 will be more competition to the Polestar 2 ... as it will be out sooner and the costs will be closer.

I will admit I was waiting for more iX3 news /detail ... but not much coming at the moment. Same with Jag's - I wouldn't be able to afford it ... but I'd so want the new model XJ full electric car. Meh ... 2025 purchases 🤩

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think iX3 would go toe-to-toe more with the P*3, reportedly an SUV.
For the P*2 the electric 3-series seems a good match (and it seems to have less of a pig face):

you know, if it ever actually comes out and sees non-Chinese shores

·
Registered
574 Posts
Update: Seems the "Electric 3 series" might actually be the i4, at least per an earlier article from C&D:

If so, the specs are actually pretty close to the P*2 - expected range more like 270 mi from an 80 kWh battery, 150 kW charging, starting from $50k.... available next year though...

370+ mi range means they have to get their drag coefficient and weight lower than the Model 3, which seems to be a tall task, esp with that form factor. I could believe it's a bit more efficient than the P*2, but we're talking within 10%

If it keeps the more reasonable front faux grille and 2 center console cupholders, and is available here, will keep an eye on it :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
It will probably end up being very close to the P*2 real life range ... maybe another 20miles extra. However it will cost £60k+ I'm sure of that!

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I've been driving a 2009, MT, 328i, RWD E92 coupe since I got it new. 'Love the car and love its looks to this day. Years and years ago I started planning to get an M4 in 2019. But 2019 rolled around and my E92 was doing great, so...

When I saw the first renders of the M4. Eh gads! Then saw the P*2. I immediately put down my deposit. I've been a BMW fanboy for years now, BUT: they dropped the ball on going EV (when they had a good lead on it initially), I don't like the new exterior design language (angry pig in front, loaded diaper in back), and I'm dismayed by the design philosophy (too busy, too flashy). (Remember how the M cars were understated?)

This new i4 does nothing to make me second guess the P*2. Everything to me looks like the designers are working too hard to create a wow factor... like spending thousands on a Rolex so you can look more impressive to your country-club pals. (Forgive me, Rolex lovers.) BMW used to be all about the performance of the car itself. Bother.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd say the iX3 will be more competition to the Polestar 2 ... as it will be out sooner and the costs will be closer.
For those of us on the site in the US, it's also worth noting that BMW cancelled plans to offer the iX3 here. So we don't even have that option anymore. Who killed the electric BMW iX3? US dealers wanting longer range - Electrek

The i4 looks promising on paper, but BMW design these days is awful. The Polestar 2 is much more appealing to me.

The designer of the BMW X5 (the first-generation, as well as the first-generation MINI Cooper and other vehicles) recently offered an opinion on BMW's new design direction. It's not favorable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts