Polestar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now, the EQA has finally been announced! No pricing except the base model yet (€45K). When I opened the chat on the Mercedes site, they questioned me about what options I wanted and promised me an offer, probably in a month or so. Here's my local Mercedes site:

I was looking forward to this car and the inside looks pretty good. It seems like a logical evolution of the A250e, which I did a test drive with and really liked. But the outside looks like an ugly version of the Mercedes B class. I'm not a fan.

Tech specs are nowhere near Polestar (almost 9 seconds 0-100km/h, 140kW, 100kW charging). But the luxury fit and finish should be in the same range, being a Mercedes.

So, what do you all think?

·
Registered
2021 2
2,587 Posts
A base spec ICE Camry has 0-60 in the 7-8s range:

A Camry can be had for $25k here with 0% financing and maintenance thrown in for a couple years. 0-60 is a poor metric. But for an EV to have a 8s 0-60 means they really aren’t going for performance to any degree given a Camry, a practical family hauling ICE, would dust it.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,863 Posts
It is not even about being a stoplight racer. To me 0-60 of about 9 seconds becomes a safety issue merging onto highways here.
Is this a factor specific to certain cities? I have driven all over & not found US drivers to be especially aggressive or discourteous (I can't say the same of all countries). I've driven all types of slow trucks & vans, and as long as you signal early enough & use mirrors well, most drivers tend to let you in/out/over. Unless you drive a BMW or Audi. But that's fair.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is this a factor specific to certain cities? I have driven all over & not found US drivers to be especially aggressive or discourteous (I can't say the same of all countries). I've driven all types of slow trucks & vans, and as long as you signal early enough & use mirrors well, most drivers tend to let you in/out/over. Unless you drive a BMW or Audi. But that's fair.
All I can say is near where I work in NJ, some of the entrance ramps are very short and you just need to gun it or cars will be coming up on you very fast with little room to merge....

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
All I can say is near where I work in NJ, some of the entrance ramps are very short and you just need to gun it or cars will be coming up on you very fast with little room to merge....
The idea that you need to get a fast car to keep up with the other fast cars reminds me a little of the pro gun argument.
Or maybe your roads need redesigning?

·
Registered
2021 2
2,587 Posts
It does depend on the region. In New Jersey in addition to having a car that can accelerate to highway speeds quickly, and the usual turn signal indicators, you need to have other manual or automatic indicators, like this one:

·
Registered
California
604 Posts
I used to live in NJ and can attest to how precise you have to be in getting up to speed quickly to merge in to very little space.

It’s better in California, but even here there are quite a few short entrance lanes. Or for example right here in the Bay Area I often have to merge over ~5-6 lanes in less than 0.5mi to get to the highway exit I need when I get onto I-380.

Yes, it’s poor highway design. But Americans like their overly-guzzly engines, what can I say?

·
Registered
158 Posts
The idea that you need to get a fast car to keep up with the other fast cars reminds me a little of the pro gun argument.
Or maybe your roads need redesigning?
Not sure what it has to do with pro-gun argument, but yes some of the roads are poorly designed. If you ever are fortunate enough to visit NJ, just try getting onto route 4 at rush hour in a 9 sec 0-60 car. For example this is my drive going home from work. Minimal room to merge onto the 2 lane road, 50mph speed limit but more typically 60-65... :)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Not sure what it has to do with pro-gun argument, but yes some of the roads are poorly designed. If you ever are fortunate enough to visit NJ, just try getting onto route 4 at rush hour in a 9 sec 0-60 car :)
The whole thing sounds very uncivilised.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Regardless of need, I enjoy having fun driving the car and that includes the feeling of fast acceleration. Not all the way to the floor, not being unsafe or discourteous,... Just enjoying the car for what it is. I'd miss that.

But, hell, on a family trip in Italy years ago, I enjoyed the hell out of a Fiat Panda... That did 0-60 in about a half hour. We were all laughing about it.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
So, what do you all think?
The problem with the £40k starting price is that this is a very small battery, in a car we can guess will be a very inefficient car (based on the EQC). Also it will be a Merc ... so very minimal spec and by the time you spec it up you could be looking at £55k+ Then when they release the bigger batter you can be in the £65+ range.

I'm sure it will be a very nice car to glide around in ... and feel very luxurious as most merc's are ... but it will end up as a very costly EV for it's range and features.

But if you want an ultra high end, low range, expensive mid-sized car ... then this might be for you.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But, hell, on a family trip in Italy years ago, I enjoyed the hell out of a Fiat Panda... That did 0-60 in about a half hour. We were all laughing about it.
It's like when I visited Prague with 2 friends and luggage in a Nissan Micra. Downhill it went at 130km/h, uphill at 80 :ROFLMAO:

The problem with the £40k starting price is that this is a very small battery, in a car we can guess will be a very inefficient car (based on the EQC). Also it will be a Merc ... so very minimal spec and by the time you spec it up you could be looking at £55k+ Then when they release the bigger batter you can be in the £65+ range.
Yeah, exactly! The A250e was very nice and started at €40K. But as you quite rightly indicate, once you add some options to make it comparable to e.g. the Polestar, it's almost as expensive. And then you still have to pay the petrol...

But I still feel the A250e was the best test drive I've ever done. It was just so nice!

Edit just to add that the EQA is pretty disappointing for that reason, too. It's uglier than the ugliest Merc and it's slower than a steam train.

·
Registered
128 Posts
my pervious car was a Mercedes and owned it for 13+ years with no problems and served me very well. I think Mercedes has one of the nicest interiors and was even considering another one if I wasn’t so set with getting an EV (was considering a E53 wagon, a distant 3rd choice after the Polestar and Tesla M3 performance, respectively).
I was pretty disappointed with the EQA/EQC as it looks to be a repurposed existing SUV/crossover with an uninspiring grille and lighting. I‘m not a fan of SUVs and rather prefer a sedan or wagon, and I wanted something that is more unique with more road presence.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts