Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bjorn compares the P2's range and performance with the Model 3 while driving on wet roads.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
A shocking video telling us the Model 3 is more Efficient than the Polestar 2.

This is a total shock and not seen any video on this before, especially a Bjorn video. I'm glade Bjorn is independent and not affiliated with Tesla.
Now, now, GDank. Play nice.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I thought the P*2 didn't do that bad and at one point Bjorn did say it was less thirsty than the etron.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Poor Bjorn just cannot get over the idea that tm3 is just a crap ugly car that many would rather not buy when there is a viable alternative even if it gives a bit less overall performance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you're into gadgets and tech and obsessing over efficiency numbers and installing after market led light bars, and long long roadtrips, sure Tesla. But there are lots of other drivers who don't want to mess with any of that

·
Registered
724 Posts
I like Telsa Bjorn, I was subscribed to his channel for a long time back when EV's were new. Back then is was S (later X) or a Leaf. Then came a lot of affordable cars like the Niro / Kona and cars like the I-Pace/E-tron, etc..

Since then it's been an explosion of EV's and he does some very good consumer based tests. The 90km/h and 120km/h being imho the most important. The 1000km is interesting and useful for those people who do travel these kinds of distances (especially in the US). The Banana Box Test is like any reviewer who uses the same prop's to demonstrate boot capacity - I don't have anything against it, but it's as useful to most people as Matt from CarWow who uses the same luggage cases .... unless you have exactly those cases and/or transport Banana's a lot it's pointless. Still it's a visual metric that people might find helpful.

Then came the Model 3. Now I get he loves the Model 3 ... but since getting it his attitude changed from "hmm I'm not sure I like this" to "This is sheeeeeeet, Model 3 is so much better".

But even worse than his "Bjorn Nyland" videos is his attitude on Live Streams (this is where I stopped watching or following him) ... The "TeslaBjron Live" channel. Watching these is like listening to my mum moan about how rubbish TV has got in the past 10 years for 10 hours stright. His attitude in these videos is so much worse than his normal youtube videos. Honestly it's like he doesn't enjoy doing it now and is almost fed up.

Go watch all the videos he did in the I-Pace. His enthusiasm and excitement was compelling to watch. It made me excited to get an EV. Even with high efficiency he still liked the car and gave a good pro's and con's list compared to the Model S.

Now ... unless it's exactly the same as a Model 3 or better, it's just sheeeeeeet. The whole channel imho has gone down hill in the past 18 months.

This latest video is just him pleasing his cult like Tesla fans. He did the 90km/120km and 1000km Polestar Test. He did the Polestar charging test. He drove the Polar Circle with the Polestar - then immediately did it again with the Model 3 to show how much better it was. Then this video ...

I know a lot of the press are comparing the Polestar 2 to the Model 3, but he now seems hell bent on just making videos to put down the Polestar. I bet there will be another one for something else next week.

Sorry rant over. I did try and stay positive ... as I say I don't dislike the guy, but he has changed a lot ... I feel all these long drives and sleeping rough in cars at night is making him miserable, and this used to be a side project for him ... now his channel seems to be his job and not making him supper happy - again watch a live stream .... you see the real Bjorn not the youtube personality in main channel.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't have anything against it, but it's as useful to most people as Matt from CarWow who uses the same luggage cases .... unless you have exactly those cases and/or transport Banana's a lot it's pointless. Still it's a visual metric that people might find helpful.
I should have taken my shotgun to the test drive. It only just fits in the boot of the car, diagonally from the front left, to the right rear where there is the little netted storage place. Without the little storage space, it would have been a problem.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Could have taken a shotgun sized box to test ... although seems more like a sniper rifle at those dimensions. :censored:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A shocking video telling us the Model 3 is more Efficient than the Polestar 2.

This is a total shock and not seen any video on this before, especially a Bjorn video. I'm glade Bjorn is independent and not affiliated with Tesla.
He does go overboard sometimes but I find his videos are good overall when you sift past the Tesla bias.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I like Telsa Bjorn, I was subscribed to his channel for a long time back when EV's were new. Back then is was S (later X) or a Leaf. Then came a lot of affordable cars like the Niro / Kona and cars like the I-Pace/E-tron, etc..

Since then it's been an explosion of EV's and he does some very good consumer based tests. The 90km/h and 120km/h being imho the most important. The 1000km is interesting and useful for those people who do travel these kinds of distances (especially in the US). The Banana Box Test is like any reviewer who uses the same prop's to demonstrate boot capacity - I don't have anything against it, but it's as useful to most people as Matt from CarWow who uses the same luggage cases .... unless you have exactly those cases and/or transport Banana's a lot it's pointless. Still it's a visual metric that people might find helpful.

Then came the Model 3. Now I get he loves the Model 3 ... but since getting it his attitude changed from "hmm I'm not sure I like this" to "This is sheeeeeeet, Model 3 is so much better".

But even worse than his "Bjorn Nyland" videos is his attitude on Live Streams (this is where I stopped watching or following him) ... The "TeslaBjron Live" channel. Watching these is like listening to my mum moan about how rubbish TV has got in the past 10 years for 10 hours stright. His attitude in these videos is so much worse than his normal youtube videos. Honestly it's like he doesn't enjoy doing it now and is almost fed up.

Go watch all the videos he did in the I-Pace. His enthusiasm and excitement was compelling to watch. It made me excited to get an EV. Even with high efficiency he still liked the car and gave a good pro's and con's list compared to the Model S.

Now ... unless it's exactly the same as a Model 3 or better, it's just sheeeeeeet. The whole channel imho has gone down hill in the past 18 months.

This latest video is just him pleasing his cult like Tesla fans. He did the 90km/120km and 1000km Polestar Test. He did the Polestar charging test. He drove the Polar Circle with the Polestar - then immediately did it again with the Model 3 to show how much better it was. Then this video ...

I know a lot of the press are comparing the Polestar 2 to the Model 3, but he now seems hell bent on just making videos to put down the Polestar. I bet there will be another one for something else next week.

Sorry rant over. I did try and stay positive ... as I say I don't dislike the guy, but he has changed a lot ... I feel all these long drives and sleeping rough in cars at night is making him miserable, and this used to be a side project for him ... now his channel seems to be his job and not making him supper happy - again watch a live stream .... you see the real Bjorn not the youtube personality in main channel.
I do hear what @GDank is saying but I think it's a bit less malicious than just being the same old story of "Boy loves car; Boy is a bit rude on the internet when talking about the car and its competitors"

I think he just really really loves his Model 3 and looks past its flaws, while being a bit too harsh on anything else that comes to compete. And it's almost like he had high hopes for the Polestar 2 - driven by Polestar's pre-launch marketing - that he's that much more annoyed by its relative lack of efficiency (a particular source of annoyance for engineers!), software bugs, etc. He's so annoyed that he forgets that Tesla had (has?) its own bugs and took several updates to get to its current efficiency, and forgets that the lack of efficiency is partly due to trade-offs for improved design/aesthetics (another blindspot for engineers...), safety, noise isolation, etc.

I think I see similar trends in Rory from AutotraderUK, the WhatCar guy, and even Mat Watson from CarWow. Conversely, the reviewers who were annoyed by the Model 3's (lack of) design and other features seem to love the Polestar.

So all's good. I'm still going to waste spend my time watching the varied videos. And if folks keep complaining about efficiency/range/charging maybe that will induce Polestar to plainly do better going forward. The Model 3 is getting a refresh supposedly with powered lift gate, a heat pump, and chrome delete. Competition is good.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I do hear what @GDank is saying but I think it's a bit less malicious than just being the same old story of "Boy loves car; Boy is a bit rude on the internet when talking about the car and its competitors"

I think he just really really loves his Model 3 and looks past its flaws, while being a bit too harsh on anything else that comes to compete. And it's almost like he had high hopes for the Polestar 2 - driven by Polestar's pre-launch marketing - that he's that much more annoyed by its relative lack of efficiency (a particular source of annoyance for engineers!), software bugs, etc. He's so annoyed that he forgets that Tesla had (has?) its own bugs and took several updates to get to its current efficiency, and forgets that the lack of efficiency is partly due to trade-offs for improved design/aesthetics (another blindspot for engineers...), safety, noise isolation, etc.

I think I see similar trends in Rory from AutotraderUK, the WhatCar guy, and even Mat Watson from CarWow. Conversely, the reviewers who were annoyed by the Model 3's (lack of) design and other features seem to love the Polestar.

So all's good. I'm still going to waste spend my time watching the varied videos. And if folks keep complaining about efficiency/range/charging maybe that will induce Polestar to plainly do better going forward. The Model 3 is getting a refresh supposedly with powered lift gate, a heat pump, and chrome delete. Competition is good.
In that respect, you really need to look at all of the reviews and understand what is important to individual reviewers. I do agree that many EV reviews have devolved into * measuring contests where if you can't meet or beat Tesla on range or efficiency then you lose. That attitude is reflected in many forums and comment threads as well, and I think it hurts the industry as a whole. If I'm being honest, some of the attitudes and culture I see around the Tesla community contribute to why I don't want one or want to be associated with it, even though I know that's a broad generalization. It makes me root for good alternatives.

I like the data collection, and tables, but there has to be an accounting for a range of "good" and "acceptable" rather than negativity for whatever is not on top. There are also subjective things that can't be accounted for, that may tip the scales in favor of those "good" or "acceptable" entries.

There should be more nuance - reviewers should all be able to recognize that most people don't critically need or even want to drive for 3-4 hours straight regularly without stopping even once to stretch their legs. They should recognize that some people just don't want a Tesla, for whatever reason, other cars can still be excellent options for those people, and to that end frame each car on its own merit. Comparisons are OK but they need to be in context and not over-emphasized.

There is literally just a 30 mile gap between the Model 3 performance and a Polestar 2, driven on a ring under the same conditions at 70mph. The window of long trips that can be taken with one and not with the other without stopping is pretty specific, and in practical use I imagine the experience is going to be roughly the same. Yet when an EPA 233 miles is announced, we hear boos and hisses and "DOA". It seems ridiculous, especially if you're supposedly rooting for the entire EV industry, not just a single brand.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wanted to like the Tesla but couldn't. I don't like the shape, don't like the complete move away from a dashboard to a central screen controlling everything (one step too far, need an intermediary step from an ICE), don't like musk, and now learn of the quality issues. When Polestar 2 come along I thought "hmmm serious alternative". I was thinking of a PHEV and then I saw the European daily average mileage and thought range is not the be all and end all (nor carrying an engine for little/no reason). How many times a year do I exceed then range of the Polestar? not enough to care, is how many.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts