Polestar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We don't get the ID.3 here so can only evaluate the ID.4 which just launched.

Based on the pre-order page, going for the AWD Pro with the "Statement + Gradient package" you get to $49.5k vs the $61k of the Polestar 2 (including non-black color and a tow hitch which both come with the ID.4; similar tow rating on both).

For an extra $11-12k, the Polestar 2 seems to give:
  • Nicer exterior design (objective fact)
  • Nicer interior per Autogefuhl
  • Nicer infotainment system and nicer interface without capacitative touch controls per Autogefuhl
  • More motor power/torque
  • Presumably better tuned chassis/handling/suspension/braking
  • Heated rear seats (unclear if ID.4 has heated wipers, headlight washers, etc)
  • 360 cam (vs rear cam only)
  • leather+ventilated seats option (for +$4k)
The ID.4 does have more interior space as a crossover. It comes with 3 years of free Electrify America charging. And you can change the color of the ambient lighting to get your groove on.

Importantly, VW seems to have worked out their nationwide launch with their dealers, which Polestar hasn't.

Expected range is supposed to be similar, around 250 mi EPA, with a notably bigger battery of 82 kWh in the ID.4.

Really the ID.4 is a Model Y and XC40 Recharge competitor. Seems the XC40/P*2 are more upscale offerings compared to the ID.4. Model Y is 'upscale' in name only.
Are the Volvo/Polestars $11-12k more worth it? [unknown what the XC40 pricing is; they're worse at communicating to pre-order holders than Polestar!]. I think so based on reviews, pics of the design, and the higher power/torque too. But could see many folks deciding otherwise.

Tesla should be shaking in their boots though. And Hyundai/Kia too given price is directly competitive with the EV Kona/Niro.

And Toyota and Honda too since after the tax credit the ID.4 is only ~$5-7k more than the ICE RAV4 and CR-V, and that would be even closer in certain states/districts. Those are two of the top 5-10 cars sold in the US. This is going to be really disruptive, in a good way.

·
Registered
662 Posts
All the VW's look dull from the outside. I need to look at a car and go "I want to drive that". In fact with the exception of Merc's ... all German cars (including Skoda/Seat) just look dull or mehhh these days - ok BMW's don't ... but then I think the new nose grille is hideous so wouldn't buy one even if the PR / Customer Service wasn't a pile of dog crap.

If it doesn't tantalise me from the outside I've always treated them badly ... just used and abused them - Same with my cars too! :p

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I had been planning on an M4, but I can't get past the styling. I'm much happier with the minimalist, quiet style of the Polestar.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I've never been impressed by BMWs. It's just a "me too" car now.
I'll never say anything bad about my 2009 E92 (manual, RWD, naturally aspirated). It has been a wonderful car to drive and not filled with silly tech and superfluous buttons and knobs and features.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'll never say anything bad about my 2009 E92 (manual, RWD, naturally aspirated). It has been a wonderful car to drive and not filled with silly tech and superfluous buttons and knobs and features.
BMW lost me in 1978 with the first 320 where they couldn't get the shimmy out of the front end. After multiple sets of tires and wheels, they finally admitted it was a design flaw!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts