Polestar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Bjorn Nyland video where he's not comparing the Polestar with a Tesla. He got winter tires installed on his loaner car and filmed the tires getting changed.

Looks like they installed 245/40R20 Hakkapeliitta R3 winter tires. Tightened with 120 Nm.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Dammit ... must remain positive ... must not be negative ... must resist ... ... ...

Hell, I was told "Resistance is Futile" ...

Next video will be Poletstar 2 in Winter Tyres efficiency results ..

·
Registered
519 Posts
120Nm? the manual says 140Nnm

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Being critical, I know, but, yeah, should match the manual. Should also tighten in a star pattern, not just go around in a circle. Finally, should drive the car a bit with hard acceleration, braking, and cornering, then return, and check the torque of each bolt again.

And should have just swapped the valve caps to keep the gold ones!

Reactions: KeyMajor

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
FWIW, I spent some time yesterday researching winter wheels and tires. I have the Performance Pack.

1. For years, on all my cars, I've had two wheel sets: one for summer and one for winter. It's easy to swap the wheels with just a few basic tools: jack, breaker bar, the right socket, anti-seize, and a torque wrench.
2. The PP cars come with summer tires. That just isn't safe around here from November to April.
3. I couldn't find 3rd party rims that would work. This isn't surprising as there's just about 0 clearance with the OEM wheels over those Brembos to begin with. I'd be very skeptical of any aftermarket wheels. Imagine wrecking your calipers with rims that don't work!
4. Here in the U.S., they're not yet set up to send out winter wheel sets to us. I could push for this, but it's easy to imagine it would take over a month.
5. A nice support guy, not Mike or Alane... probably a Volvo guy covering the phones... dug around for me... It looks like a winter wheel package would run about $5000. That's believable to me.
6. I located a number of tires that would work and can buy them online and have them delivered to a local shop to have them swap the rubber on the existing rims.
7. New tires need to be 245/40 R20 XL. Remember our cars are heavy so you need that XL designation. XL tires also need higher tire pressures. Hence the 41 psi front/42 psi rear (280/290 kPa) recommended pressures.
8. Our wheels are big and sidewalls low, so some local mechanics might struggle with the swap. Have a chat and try to feel them out about the job. I'm having the nearest Volvo dealership do the swap as they're more likely to have the right equipment and this is a way to get to know the local Volvo service people.
9. You should let the mechanic know that the rim widths are different front and back but the tires, oddly, are the same size front and back. They should be aware that you're aware. It's an unusual way to do things.
10. Possible good choices (my opinion, not exhaustive) that I've identified in the U.S. are as follows:
a. Continental ExtremeContact™ DWS06
b. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3
c. Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3
11. These are all pricey tires. But I think tires are a good place to invest money.
12. I went with the Pirellis at a total cost of $1440 for four. Installation and balancing was quoted as $140 for all four.
13. You may hesitate to spend extra money on winter tires but realize that when one set is on, the other set is not being worn down. So you're not losing any money on the extra rubber at all, with the exception of the installation charges.
14. Don't forget that stopping distance with winter tires can easily be less than half that for summer tires. This difference might actually save your life or those of others.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,010 Posts
An excellent and well thought out summary. I've done the same on previous cars in the UK but switched to using all-season tyres as the operating range (about -10C to 35C roughly) is perfect for our climate. I'm resisting putting all-season tyres on the Polestar until next Winter however because we have a Renault Zoe with all-season tyres on, and with lockdown we're doing no distance anyway (and no commute for me either). The tyres available are expanding rapidly too (if you see what I mean) with most manufacturers starting to add in the more unconventional sizes.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
I'm really looking forward to getting the winter rubber on. Right now I'm always driving as if I could suddenly go sideways. The old expression comes to mind... I'm riding on hockey pucks.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Got the new rims from Volvo Manhattan. 'Worked with Dan Filipe and he was great about being responsive and communicative.

Now all I have to do is find somebody I trust with these gems...

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Uhm... Do you really want to know?

Uhmm..

($1000 each)

I know, I know...

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Ouch yes thanks.
Winter almost over here hopefully aftermarket will come thru by next winter 🤓
I'm sure aftermarket wheels will be available. It'll be a challenge for the PP wheels... The OEM wheels only just clear the brake calipers as it is... But I'm sure something will be available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts