Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am contemplating getting either a Polestar 2 (Long range, single motor), but need some more info regarding the interior space, mainly the backseat.

We have three kids, but only one of them still uses a child seat. The older kids are 12 and 10 years old respectively. All of us are relatively short I would say, including myself and my wife.

The Polestar 2 would be used as our second car, as we already have a station wagon, so it would probably be used most of the time not with the whole family, but at the same time we do not want to be limited to use our bigger car if going away for day trips as a family either (e.g. not bringing that much luggage, but still traveling/sitting in the car for several hours during the same day, before going home in the evening).

Would you say two adults, one child seat and two kids would sit comfortably in the Polestar 2 for these kinds of trips? Or would it really only be useable for shorter trips, like half hour into town, when bringing the entire family?

The alternative I am thinking about is the Kia EV6, which is of course the more practical and more family friendly car, but the infotainment system seems like something I would be really annoyed about (it seems very dated, and my biggest pet peeve, sluggish), as the infotainment system seems like a really big part of an EV (this will be our first EV) with route planning and pre-heating of battery etc.

Basically the things, for me, is the infotainment system in the EV6 compared to the smaller space in the Polestar 2 backseat.

Price wise, both cars, specced to my preferences, will cost the same (to make the decision even harder 馃構).

For reference, our current cars are a Seat Leon Sportswagon and a Volkswagen Golf.

Registered
Welcome to the forum! :)

I think the answer is a bit boring and typical:
See if you can visit a Polestar space and test drive it with your family AND the child seat. I suspect that your kids might find it a bit tight, but for day trips it might be fine. However, the big question is how the "transmission tunnel" will work out for the kid in the middle back seat. The tunnel is pretty hugey. So depending on length of legs of the kid in the middle it might work, or not. I think it will be pretty obvious right away if you do a test ride.

I did the exakt same choice (between Kia EV 6 and Polestar 2) during the summer. I read up on the pre info that was available on the Kia EV 6 though. And the big caveat to me was the infotainment system in the Kia, that in the info I dug up looked exactly like a high resolution version of the absolutely horrible infotainment system in the Kia Optima PHEV. I think had the energy to use the GPS like 5 times during 2,5 years of ownership... I am very happy with my choice now, not the least due to the P2 infotainment system. But we are just 2 adults, and one kid, so to us the interior space is not a problem. Infotainment in the EV6 will likely improve though, once they get started with OTA, but they have to make some pretty major changes I think before it is even close to what we have in the P2. But interior space is in another league obviously.

So nothing you did not know I suspect... Short answer: Go for a test ride and see for yourself! :) Best of luck!

Registered
Model Y is the better solution. The thing with having an EV is you start to drive the ICE less. The P*2 does seem cramped in the back and will get more and more as your youngest grows up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum! :)

I think the answer is a bit boring and typical:
See if you can visit a Polestar space and test drive it with your family AND the child seat. I suspect that your kids might find it a bit tight, but for day trips it might be fine. However, the big question is how the "transmission tunnel" will work out for the kid in the middle back seat. The tunnel is pretty hugey. So depending on length of legs of the kid in the middle it might work, or not. I think it will be pretty obvious right away if you do a test ride.

I did the exakt same choice (between Kia EV 6 and Polestar 2) during the summer. I read up on the pre info that was available on the Kia EV 6 though. And the big caveat to me was the infotainment system in the Kia, that in the info I dug up looked exactly like a high resolution version of the absolutely horrible infotainment system in the Kia Optima PHEV. I think had the energy to use the GPS like 5 times during 2,5 years of ownership... I am very happy with my choice now, not the least due to the P2 infotainment system. But we are just 2 adults, and one kid, so to us the interior space is not a problem. Infotainment in the EV6 will likely improve though, once they get started with OTA, but they have to make some pretty major changes I think before it is even close to what we have in the P2. But interior space is in another league obviously.

So nothing you did not know I suspect... Short answer: Go for a test ride and see for yourself! :) Best of luck!
Hehe, that is quite okay.
The biggest problem for me is that I do not have any Polestar centres nearby to actually take it for a test drive.

I think you confirmed my concerns with the infotainment system in the EV6 though.
I also think they can improve it via OTA, but I fear that won't remove the sluggishness.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Model Y is the better solution. The thing with having an EV is you start to drive the ICE less. The P*2 does seem cramped in the back and will get more and more as your youngest grows up.
Thank you.

Yeah, that is the hope for sure, starting to replace the ICE car more and more. That would definitely be possible with the EV6.

The Tesla Model Y is unfortunately quite a bit more expensive, since they only have long range and performance versions.

Registered
Polestar is Not a car for 5 no matter what. Since there are alternatives out there. And polestar is actually most expensive when you compare apples to apples.

Registered
Snow/Graphite, Pilot/Plus, 19" wheels, LRDM
Definitely wouldn't go with PS2 for 5 people. Agree with Fugixi, once you get the electric you stop wanting to take the ICE

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our two current ICE cars are pretty comparable in size in the back seat. We just tried both of them out actually (it's been a while we went somewhere with the whole family due to the pandemic, so didn't remember. 馃構) and the transmission tunnel is actually the least of worries. In both cars it is actually around the shoulders where we might wish there to be more space, but the tunnel is not that intrusive.

To be really comfortable with five people at once, I think an MPV or similar would be the only choice maybe (we had a Seat Alhambra before and that was spacious).

Registered
I drove several long drive with two teenagers and a younger kid in the back with no complaints. Is it spacious? Probably not but it really depends on what are you used to. Since I see a Swedish flag near your name maybe try renting a Polestar for a day, Hertz and M have them

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I drove several long drive with two teenagers and a younger kid in the back with no complaints. Is it spacious? Probably not but it really depends on what are you used to. Since I see a Swedish flag near your name maybe try renting a Polestar for a day, Hertz and M have them
Nice to hear!

Oh, that is a good idea, renting it for a day. 馃憤
I will look into that.

Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
I know it might not set the pulse racing but a Skoda Enyaq might suit your family better. I have not seen it in person therefore cannot vouch for the infotainment but it has a 13 inch screen and is compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Registered
Thank you.

Yeah, that is the hope for sure, starting to replace the ICE car more and more. That would definitely be possible with the EV6.

The Tesla Model Y is unfortunately quite a bit more expensive, since they only have long range and performance versions.
If you aren鈥檛 in a rush, wait the 6-12 months for one. The wait list is long. The extra time is quite a bit of money you can save for the difference. Try first to make sure it fits your family needs.

We live with cars for 4-8 years. Make sure it is viable for that long.

Registered
First check out this thread on 3 rear car seats:

Second, we have 2 kids (1 booster, 1 forward facing car seat) and the occasional grandparent visiting. When the grandparent is visiting we can fit all 5 of us and have done so a few times on longer road trip. We most recently did one with my MIL and we traveled >1k mi and I didn鈥檛 hear any complaints about the space. Fwiw the C pillars seem to provide extra shoulder room to make it ok to sit on the side next to a car seat or booster in the middle.

so it鈥檚 doable. But whether it鈥檚 comfortable is entirely subjective. I absolutely recommend seeing if you can get an extended test drive or rent one for a day to check it out for your configuration. Else I think Id also be tempted by the ID4/Enyaq, and Ioniq5/EV6.

Reactions: Rsf and Fugixi

Registered
2021 Polestar 2
I have three kids (12, 9, and 4). We are able to fit all three in the back with a single car seat. It's tight but works for shorter trips (<2.5hrs). We take it skiing which is about 2.5hrs away and is pushing the limit.

MSPR is similar to the Model Y, but lease rates are much lower. The lease rates of the Polestar was one of the biggest selling points.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have three kids (12, 9, and 4). We are able to fit all three in the back with a single car seat. It's tight but works for shorter trips (<2.5hrs). We take it skiing which is about 2.5hrs away and is pushing the limit.

MSPR is similar to the Model Y, but lease rates are much lower. The lease rates of the Polestar was one of the biggest selling points.
Allright, nice.
We have always had the car seat in the front passenger seat and then one adult and two children in the back. Have always seemed to be more spacious with shoulders etc.

Registered
I'll say that the Polestar 2 is probably acceptable, but as others have noted it depends a lot on what you're used to. When I was growing up my parents would cram me and my two brothers in an Austin Metro and drive us from Belfast to London pretty regularly (about 500 miles total) so literally your milege may vary. If your kids are used to something a bit roomier you might get some complaints on longer drives, but I've certainly had 5 people in my PS2 for a short drive and there were no complaints.

The Polestar's "Transmission Tunnel" (actually battery tunnel) is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. It's certainly there and isn't on a lot of EV's, but the truth is most people buying a Polestar 2 are going to be coming from ICE's and therefore aren't going to even notice the tunnel because they expect it to be there. It's only people coming from a flat rear floor like the Tesla 3 or Y that notice it. However, they fail to notice that most of the time the rear seat is so low to the floor compared to ICE cars or the Polestar 2 that it's uncomfortable to sit back there for any length of time anyway because you end up sitting with your ankles crossed. I actually prefer the tunnel in the middle with the deeper footwell in the back because I usually will only have between 1 and 3 people in my car, occasionally four and rarely 5.

To flip the conversation a little bit; my last ICE car was an Alfa Romeo Giulia. I couldn't even imagine fitting 5 people in that car. It's a longer car than the Polestar 2 but has a tiny passenger compartment; it's actually more of a front-mid-engine car than a front-engine car so the hood is really long. Even my wife's 2010 Audi A4 I doubt I'd try to get 5 people in the car for an extended period. So again, it depends on what you and your kids are used to.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll say that the Polestar 2 is probably acceptable, but as others have noted it depends a lot on what you're used to. When I was growing up my parents would cram me and my two brothers in an Austin Metro and drive us from Belfast to London pretty regularly (about 500 miles total) so literally your milege may vary. If your kids are used to something a bit roomier you might get some complaints on longer drives, but I've certainly had 5 people in my PS2 for a short drive and there were no complaints.

The Polestar's "Transmission Tunnel" (actually battery tunnel) is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. It's certainly there and isn't on a lot of EV's, but the truth is most people buying a Polestar 2 are going to be coming from ICE's and therefore aren't going to even notice the tunnel because they expect it to be there. It's only people coming from a flat rear floor like the Tesla 3 or Y that notice it. However, they fail to notice that most of the time the rear seat is so low to the floor compared to ICE cars or the Polestar 2 that it's uncomfortable to sit back there for any length of time anyway because you end up sitting with your ankles crossed. I actually prefer the tunnel in the middle with the deeper footwell in the back because I usually will only have between 1 and 3 people in my car, occasionally four and rarely 5.

To flip the conversation a little bit; my last ICE car was an Alfa Romeo Giulia. I couldn't even imagine fitting 5 people in that car. It's a longer car than the Polestar 2 but has a tiny passenger compartment; it's actually more of a front-mid-engine car than a front-engine car so the hood is really long. Even my wife's 2010 Audi A4 I doubt I'd try to get 5 people in the car for an extended period. So again, it depends on what you and your kids are used to.
Thank you very much for your detailed response. 馃憤

Yeah, we've had an MPV, a Seat Alhambra, for three years. That car had a flat floor and individual seats in the back. But that is a 7 seat car, so cannot really compare that to much of anything. When the lease on that ran out last year, since our two oldest children now can sit without any car seats, we replaced it with a sportswagon, a Seat Leon (based on the VW Golf).
So, currently, we actually have two ICE cars, both with transmission tunnels. But we haven't went on any longer trips since we exchanged our MPV.

Registered
2021 Polestar 2 Moon PP Leather
I would say absolutely no for 5 family members for P*2. P*2 rear seat is so small and cramped. There is a center floor tunnel. Rear seat back rest is not adjustable and so upward. For me, P*2 is for two people car. Even 5'-1" my wife is complaining the back seat is too small. Model Y, EV6, Ioniq5 might be the answer for you.

Registered
The Polestar 2 is the snuggest car I鈥檝e owned since my 99 Audi A4. It鈥檚 definitely not going to take 3 people in the back, even kids, very well. The EV6 / Ioniq 5 would be a better choice for space. I don鈥檛 know easily available they are where you are, however; in the US they seem to be delayed forever. BTW we have a 2017 Kia Optima SXL with 75k miles and, despite the old Kia reputation, it has been bullet-proof. I would definitely would have considered their new EVs if they were available.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts