Polestar Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think people here have different experiences with the ACC/Pilot Assist features. Me, it works amazingly well. I'm not going to let it "drive itself" and do something silly like hang a small weight on the steering wheel to defeat the safety check on steering input, but I do find the Pilot Assist feature really helps with maintaining my lane, especially on large controlled access roads such as interstates here in the US. But it also works quite well on many secondary roads that have decently painted lines. So while I won't trust it to do my job for me in all circumstances, I find it very beneficial. And the ACC is truly a vast improvement for me. This is my first car with anything beyond a speed lock old school cruise control. While I sometimes still have "hover moments" when I worry that the ACC won't slow down fast enough for the car in front of me, it has always done its job. It's especially nice on the highways as it will match speed with my lane in traffic and auto-accelerate when I engage the turn signal to move into the passing lane to overtake a slower vehicle. A very nice touch once you get used to it.

So all I can say is for me it was well worth it - and was included in all the launch edition configs. I'm happy it was included.

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
308 Posts
I gave the ACC in my P2 a try for a bit, went back to normal cruise. I have ACC in my Mazda 3 and have become very familiar with its habits and use it all the time. I do deactivate it when a car cuts in front of me to avoid the car breaking harder than needed. Also it doesn't allow me to ride the back bumper of someone who just made a dumb move.

I like many of the features the Pilot package comes with, I didn't realize it could be removed from configuration. When I configure a car on the website it still sets up the purchase fully loaded minus only the PP. It looks like the Launch Edition is still being provided by the Canadian website.

·
Registered
48 Posts
BLIS is only listed in the Pilot pack on the UK website. Although they have been known to have errors on their site e.g. Heated wiper blades!

I opted for the Pilot pack as this contains the Pixel LED headlights which is an always on full beam but shuts off individual segments to avoid dazzling other road users. Have a similar system on my current BMW and its brilliant.
The headlights are amazing! I love them. Rest they can take away please, but I keep my headlights!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think people here have different experiences with the ACC/Pilot Assist features. Me, it works amazingly well. I'm not going to let it "drive itself" and do something silly like hang a small weight on the steering wheel to defeat the safety check on steering input, but I do find the Pilot Assist feature really helps with maintaining my lane, especially on large controlled access roads such as interstates here in the US. But it also works quite well on many secondary roads that have decently painted lines. So while I won't trust it to do my job for me in all circumstances, I find it very beneficial. And the ACC is truly a vast improvement for me. This is my first car with anything beyond a speed lock old school cruise control. While I sometimes still have "hover moments" when I worry that the ACC won't slow down fast enough for the car in front of me, it has always done its job. It's especially nice on the highways as it will match speed with my lane in traffic and auto-accelerate when I engage the turn signal to move into the passing lane to overtake a slower vehicle. A very nice touch once you get used to it.

So all I can say is for me it was well worth it - and was included in all the launch edition configs. I'm happy it was included.
My ACC seems to think that there is someone in my lane at every turn so hits the brakes.
If it sees a car a tiny bit too far over in it's lane it assumes it will come veering in front of me even if it happens 5-6 seconds ahead on the road so again hits the brakes.

Finally, if I catch up to anyone in my lane so they strart to be interesting in a traffic-flow situation the car slows down so early that the cars behind complain at me. It also means I never come up on the blocking car so it never moves. This is a common problem here with people sitting below speed limit in left (inner most) lanewhile very little or no traffic is in the outer lane(s). Since you are not allowed here (by law) to overtake on the right this leads to situations where you sit behind this person going 70-90 in a 110km/h zone, looking at the beautiful scenery and gently bobbing back and forth in the leftmost lane. When they finally pull up level to a lorry in middle or right lane (which are not allowed to go faster than 80) they match their speed and enjoy the company.
(Rant over.)
All in all, I am finding it sporatic and cautious in a way that tells me it has some sort of radar/lidar sensor system that is not being interpreted by anything that understands the traffic at all. It is a trigger-reaction type deal. Not very impressed.

The lane positioning is weird as mentioned and I find I often have to fight the assist to center the car between the lane markings so the car doesn't place the driverseat in the middle and the passenger side wheels on the marking. It's like it is deliberately trying to avoid the wear-grooves in the road surface which would make sense if it was raining hard...

I have collected some dashcam footage of situations where road is easy to follow but car turns wrong way and I have had to step in to avoid accidents as well, so have stopped using this feature almost all together.

·
Registered
840 Posts
My ACC seems to think that there is someone in my lane at every turn so hits the brakes.
If it sees a car a tiny bit too far over in it's lane it assumes it will come veering in front of me even if it happens 5-6 seconds ahead on the road so again hits the brakes.

Finally, if I catch up to anyone in my lane so they strart to be interesting in a traffic-flow situation the car slows down so early that the cars behind complain at me. It also means I never come up on the blocking car so it never moves. This is a common problem here with people sitting below speed limit in left (inner most) lanewhile very little or no traffic is in the outer lane(s). Since you are not allowed here (by law) to overtake on the right this leads to situations where you sit behind this person going 70-90 in a 110km/h zone, looking at the beautiful scenery and gently bobbing back and forth in the leftmost lane. When they finally pull up level to a lorry in middle or right lane (which are not allowed to go faster than 80) they match their speed and enjoy the company.
(Rant over.)
All in all, I am finding it sporatic and cautious in a way that tells me it has some sort of radar/lidar sensor system that is not being interpreted by anything that understands the traffic at all. It is a trigger-reaction type deal. Not very impressed.

The lane positioning is weird as mentioned and I find I often have to fight the assist to center the car between the lane markings so the car doesn't place the driverseat in the middle and the passenger side wheels on the marking. It's like it is deliberately trying to avoid the wear-grooves in the road surface which would make sense if it was raining hard...

I have collected some dashcam footage of situations where road is easy to follow but car turns wrong way and I have had to step in to avoid accidents as well, so have stopped using this feature almost all together.
Man, that sounds awful - I wonder if there is a sensor issue or a software config issue. I have my follow distance set to the closest setting and it is just right for good weather. If I feel the follow distance is too close, I can button click my way to more follow distance and the car complies. I also find that while it doesn't stay strictly in the middle of the lane it does keep the car well between the lines. I do have to "help" it when the lines are crooked or where lanes split or swerve. I'm finding all the places near my house where this happens and am prepared for it now: there are only a couple of them. Anyway, I hope that maybe a software update will help your experience improve but if it's a hardware problem then I hope it can get diagnosed and fixed. I'm sorry your experience is bad. :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
I double checked and BLIS is indeed part of the pilot package, I suppose it’s due to technical reasons- lack of sensors, but still a shame since it’s a useful feature (not 50,000 SEK useful for me but still)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts