·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2022 P2, PP, Magnesium
47 Posts
That looks like a great evolution of what we have. I hope the P2 UI benefits from these updates.

Living with AAOS for just a short 2 months and I have to say: I never want to go back to another auto manufacturer half-baked UI ever again. In other words: I didn’t know how bad the Audi/VW/Porsche/BMW UIs were until I got the P2.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This looks like a big step in the right direction, both on the UX front and the underlying architecture. Sadly, I doubt Polestar 2 will see much of the benefits.

Thanks for sharing that article. I agree, it does look like a big leap in the right direction. While I liked the infotainment in the P2 during my test drives I still prefer CarPlay in my current vehicle. The changes above would (for me) make CarPlay almost irrelevant.
May I ask why you don’t think this UX will come to the P2 as well? Because the built in chip can’t support it?
and any change Polestar will update future MYs of the P2 with the Qualcomm unit?

Edit: Also hi everyone, this is my first ever post here. ;)

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'll look for it later, but I asked Polestar and Google during their open Q&A session in the Facebook group whether we (Polestar 2 owners) would get a split screen look like that. That look is closer to the pure AAOS look that's been shown on the Precept. Their answer was that it would come to future models, but not the Polestar 2.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I asked in another thread, does anyone know the Bluetooth version in the current P*2? Having Bluetooth v5 is definitely an improvement over v4.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing that article. I agree, it does look like a big leap in the right direction. While I liked the infotainment in the P2 during my test drives I still prefer CarPlay in my current vehicle. The changes above would (for me) make CarPlay almost irrelevant.
May I ask why you don’t think this UX will come to the P2 as well? Because the built in chip can’t support it?
and any change Polestar will update future MYs of the P2 with the Qualcomm unit?

Edit: Also hi everyone, this is my first ever post here. ;)
Congrats on your first post!

Yes, that's my assumption based on the way the article is written: the Polestar 2 architecture was a starting point, whereas the 3's is more indicative of the future roadmap, and that's what enables the majority of new features (and probably more) mentioned. I could be wrong.

Sub-questions: how long will Google and Polestar split resources between maintaining Intel- and ARM-based versions if ARM is the future? How far can the current architecture go? (We know we can expect at least 1 major AAOS version upgrade this quarter.)

I also thought it was interesting to read about what is and isn't handled by AAOS, particularly when it comes to the driver display, and how much virtualization is going on. There's a far heavier lift on this system than I might have imagined, or even imagined possible given the age of the chips and the need to run a modern mobile OS (let alone two).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. Where I live we simply say „hallo“ or maybe „Tach och“ and leave the „Moin“ to the northerners.

On topic: I a planning to get the P2 once my current lease is up, which is still about a year from now. I don’t expect Polestar to update the chips by then and it is kinda disappointing that the cars most likely won’t be receiving all the new features.

And yes, who knows, maybe some other manufacturer will release a model that blows it out of the water in the next 12 months. Doesn’t really look like it now, at least not for me, thats why P2 is top of my list.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor Launch Edition 2021 - Void
712 Posts
Split screen!! YAAAAS!!!

but yeah, needs dark mode
I'm a 100% sure it has one, as every car screen nowadays will go dark when it gets dark. If it has a manual toggle, that I wouldn't venture a guess at.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I think you pretty much answered your own question. There's only so much compute power in the current unit.
I wonder how much more computing power our cars have in comparison to the last Apollo mission.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
I wonder how much more computing power our cars have in comparison to the last Apollo mission.
I can tell you the Space Shuttle ground bases control system (Mission Control) was run with 16MB (that's meg not gig) of memory. The 3 year old android phone I'm typing this on has 2000 times as much 🙂

·
Registered
2021 P*2 Thunder/Slate 19"
103 Posts
That looks like a great evolution of what we have. I hope the P2 UI benefits from these updates.

Living with AAOS for just a short 2 months and I have to say: I never want to go back to another auto manufacturer half-baked UI ever again. In other words: I didn’t know how bad the Audi/VW/Porsche/BMW UIs were until I got the P2.
I had the BMW system and much prefer iDrive to the AAOS. Everything was relatively easy to find and using the dial is very intuitive/helpful, particularly when driving. Plus, its had wireless CarPlay for years.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
using the dial is very intuitive/helpful, particularly when driving
There is no question this type of interface is easier while driving. I've advocated for a physical "back" button for AAOS so that you can at least move back from or out of where you are (application independent) without having to search for the back button in that app/function.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I had the BMW system and much prefer iDrive to the AAOS. Everything was relatively easy to find and using the dial is very intuitive/helpful, particularly when driving. Plus, its had wireless CarPlay for years.
Have heard this a few times, not just from the forum, and can't tell whether my preference for AAOS is a weird eccentricity or not.
I've only checked out iDrive while on limited test drives and mostly when parked, so don't have as much experience with how it is while on the road. But my experience with it suggests it's still a bit too fiddly since you have to look at the screen to confirm you're accessing the right thing. Do you develop a motor memory for how much dial to turn for each different thing?

While driving in the Polestar, my now motor memory for where the home button is and where the apps are that I access mostly (Maps, Spotify, HVAC) means I can switch between apps with at most brief glances at the screen and set the right thing with tapping at relatively easy to hit soft buttons. For changing things that would require more extended glances (e.g. to get to a specific address or pull up a specific Spotify channel), I use voice navigation or just wait until the next red light or my next stop.

Reactions: stackofdimes

·
Registered
2021 P*2 Thunder/Slate 19"
103 Posts
All that's required with iDrive is also 'brief glances at the screen,' so it's not that different than AAOS. The great thing is if you drive on unsmooth roads, your finger placement is a non-issue using the iDrive controller. I can't tell you how many times I've tried tapping something on the giant tablet only to miss because the "buttons" on the screen are too small and there's zero tactile feedback. This is particularly annoying in the Google Maps app.

The voice recognition system has also been less than perfect adding to my hate of talking to machines.

I liked the P2 more than the Model 3 because at least the P2 has more buttons and knobs. The Model 3 would drive me crazy.

At this point I just want CarPlay so I can stop using the annoying bluetooth music app and Google Maps.

Have heard this a few times, not just from the forum, and can't tell whether my preference for AAOS is a weird eccentricity or not.
I've only checked out iDrive while on limited test drives and mostly when parked, so don't have as much experience with how it is while on the road. But my experience with it suggests it's still a bit too fiddly since you have to look at the screen to confirm you're accessing the right thing. Do you develop a motor memory for how much dial to turn for each different thing?

While driving in the Polestar, my now motor memory for where the home button is and where the apps are that I access mostly (Maps, Spotify, HVAC) means I can switch between apps with at most brief glances at the screen and set the right thing with tapping at relatively easy to hit soft buttons. For changing things that would require more extended glances (e.g. to get to a specific address or pull up a specific Spotify channel), I use voice navigation or just wait until the next red light or my next stop.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts