Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
The P3 prices if truly are eye watering to me .… I realize, I am not really Porsche customer or high end Volvo customer either, but are people really willing to pay 30K more for P3 than P2???

What features could possibly account for the difference? Other than slightly bigger size and jacked up right height, perhaps? I know it doesn’t matter as long as people will line up to buy one, I am just purely curious on the given optics, especially when speaking about very young brand.
I don't see how they are eye watering, the €88k price is basically the same as a XC90 T8 which are selling very well and doesn't include the same gas savings as an EV does (unless you only drive short trips where the slow 40 km hybrid is enough). Even a barebones entry XC90 is above €70k and that is a much slower car with very little equipment.

I doubt that Polestar will use the willing drivers as guinea pigs, like Tesla does … the legal standard under which Volvo/Polestar operate is quite different. They will not go to L3 unless they are legally on the hook, instead of the driver … like MB in Germany I believe.
Polestar have said they will have L3 on highways which already have a regulation in place on the UN level that is just waiting to pass into law in the member states. Germany have already started and other countries within the EU will follow within a year or 2, wouldn't be surprised if it becomes EU law.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The P3 prices if truly are eye watering to me .… I realize, I am not really Porsche customer or high end Volvo customer either, but are people really willing to pay 30K more for P3 than P2???

What features could possibly account for the difference? Other than slightly bigger size and jacked up right height, perhaps? I know it doesn’t matter as long as people will line up to buy one, I am just purely curious on the given optics, especially when speaking about very young brand.
Considering the battery pack is 42% larger than the P2 that's a big chunk of the cost right there.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

Better fit and finish, even when things look the same the quality experience is totally different. Mercedes is a great example of that; all the way from A to S they have similar design styling, but the tactility of materials used are galaxies apart. Then there is more power, a more sophisticated suspension system (definitely required in that class), and a bigger battery. In my opinion 30K more is a bit of a bargain...

But, and this is subjective, I really don't like the exterior look from what I've seen so far....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Regarding the cargo volume...I remember reading an article years ago saying to be very careful when comparing cargo volume between a US car (say Lyriq) and a European car company as they use different methods of calculating. Like maybe one is calculating volume up to the ceiling and the other up to the top of the seats. Or one is adding up all the small spaces, and one not, etc.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Regarding the cargo volume...I remember reading an article years ago saying to be very careful when comparing cargo volume between a US car (say Lyriq) and a European car company as they use different methods of calculating. Like maybe one is calculating volume up to the ceiling and the other up to the top of the seats. Or one is adding up all the small spaces, and one not, etc.
you might be on to something there.
the iX is listed as having 500L/17.66 cu ft in EU/UK sites

And literally double that on US sites

so yeah. Will wait and see the actual reveal and hopefully a unit in person!

·
Registered
28 Posts
For me, the issue is not the number, nor comparing to others. It is whether it has enough space for what I need. This is a 5 meter vehicle with two rows. Just eyeballing the position of the b-pillar and visualizing the rear seats folded and space to the liftgate tells me I should be fine on a Costco shopping errand or carrying a bike to the shop. And, with the rear seats up, looking at the rear door cut line and imagining the space behind it, it also looks sufficient for luggage for four. If someone else has a higher number in their specs, that's OK if this turns out as anticpiated on personal inspection. I'm down to either P3 or MB EQE SUV at this point and they seem similar in size overall. No, Porsche Cayenne is not even a consideration.

·
Registered
Potential DMLR non PP
25 Posts
Agree with above. The interior size specs are similiar to my Cupra Formentor which is only 4.4m long.
Has this got a low roof vs floor maybe as it's not great capacity for the exterior size?
At least it has adjustable suspension, P2 should have DCC for what they cost too and their weight.
At this pricing I'd still buy an RS4 wagon or the top Macan instead which will drive better as they don't have the weight this will, and their fuel costs don't matter at this level of spend either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agree with above. The interior size specs are similiar to my Cupra Formentor which is only 4.4m long.
Has this got a low roof vs floor maybe as it's not great capacity for the exterior size?
At least it has adjustable suspension, P2 should have DCC for what they cost too and their weight.
At this pricing I'd still buy an RS4 wagon or Macan instead which will drive better as they don't have the weight this will, and their fuel costs don't matter at this level of spend either.
Despite the Polestar CEO referencing Porsche, I would not consider them nor any future ICE powertrain vehicles. The interior package of the Macan is quite limited, having sat in the back of one with my 6'2" height. If P3 is not more spacious, it will fall off my list, but I suspect it will be fine. The size target the CEO stated for the P3 is Cayenne, and not Macan. However, we have not seen the Macan EV so far so final judgements can wait on interior package. But, I am not interested in paying the "Porsche Tax". Anything and everything about that brand's products is overpriced, from parts to service. We've had a few of them in the family and I'm not interested in repeating that experience.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Despite the Polestar CEO referencing Porsche, I would not consider them nor any future ICE powertrain vehicles. The interior package of the Macan is quite limited, having sat in the back of one with my 6'2" height. If P3 is not more spacious, it will fall off my list, but I suspect it will be fine. The size target the CEO stated for the P3 is Cayenne, and not Macan. However, we have not seen the Macan EV so far so final judgements can wait on interior package. But, I am not interested in paying the "Porsche Tax". Anything and everything about that brand's products is overpriced, from parts to service. We've had a few of them in the family and I'm not interested in repeating that experience.
Completely agree. The P*2 actually transports our kids and stuff at least as well if not more easily than the much bigger Macan. Through the strength of their brand, Porsche can get away with the fact that the Taycan/Macan/Cayenne have less practicality than the Model S/Y/X. But I don't think that Polestar will get the same license for their P*5/4/3.

So I hope with their new EV-dedicated-platform crossover/SUVs Polestar engineers are allowed to maximize their interior packaging and cargo capacity as much as their designers are enabled to make everything look nice. I hope we don't have much of a repeat of the P*2 center console's form over function. Or that they could've made the hatch opening width a couple inches wider - a 10 year old Honda Civic's sedan trunk can actually load my kids' bikes together more easily than the P*2! I hope they do better than the I-Pace, which is substantially bigger than the P*2, but barely holds 5 of us any better and has functionally less trunk space than the P*2 when I tested it, and even less towing capability for a bike rack.

I only see crossovers/SUVs as valuable in terms of how much more people and stuff they can haul than a corresponding sedan/hatch, since the latter smaller/lower vehicles will fundamentally drive better and more efficiently. While there are plenty of folks who drive crossovers/SUVs for the fashion of it, given that other OEMs do offer those practical advantages in addition to fast 0-60 times and so on, Polestar needs to understand they'll be compared against those OEMs, like Tesla, and not to Porsche - they're not at Porsche's level yet. And part of luxury is being able to do a road trip without having to play much people/luggage Tetris and not having to plan around fast charging stops as much.
This is particularly compounded now that it seems the Model Y will likely get the federal tax credit while the P*4 probably won't. And that Hyundai/Kia are probably moving some production of their group's cars to N America too, presumably to get the credit.

For me specifically, I'm going to gauge how much better the P*3 and P*4 and the analogous Volvos can haul 5 of us and our stuff than the P*2 or offerings from other OEMs. And correspondingly how much better real world range/charging would be. If it's not that much better to warrant the cost increase then I see no reason to trade up or stick with the brand after the end of the term of my leased P*2.

Reactions: Sportstick

·
Registered
P2 2021 moon 19 inch wheels
48 Posts
From memory in some Chevy Bolt forum discussions the rear cargo space by some definitions uses the vertical distance at a location right at the rear axle. As a result a design with more downslope at rear will have a lower cargo rating than a more boxy shape.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Copied from reddit:

4.9m long; 2.99m wheelbase; 1.97m wide
484L trunk expanding to 1411L with seats down

DM LR 111 kWh, 610km = 378mi WLTP, guessing ~300mi EPA; 489 hp, 840Nm, € 88,600 (incl taxes?) - maybe $75k USD?
DM Performance 111 kWH, 560lm = 347mi WLTP, guessing ~278mi EPA, 519hp, 910Nm, € 92,200 - maybe $80k USD?

air suspension, B&W audio in those trims;
21" wheels, Brembos on LR spec
22" + upgrades brakes + gold seatbelts in Performance

So honestly....
the Lyriq is similar dimensions and range, but somehow much more cargo volume supposedly (28 cu ft vs 17 cu ft for P*3), will have more hp (>500hp in base dual motor form) and will be $15-20k cheaper and will have the tax credit
the R1S will be bigger, with 3 rows, and more cargo volume; also with air suspension and a supposedly top audio system, and similar/more performance in dual motor form at $84k, upgradable to quad motor, low 3s 0-60 at $90k

that said, it does seem to match up well against the iX (similar pricing, range, etc) and Model X (much more expensive; looks like an egg).

hopefully at full reveal we'll see more of the positives of the Polestar vs its competition.... specifically, I hope that cargo volume spec is an error - as is the EV6 and MachE supposedly has more trunk space!
What is dissapointing are the acceleration numbers. If true it establishes that the P3 is much heavier than the P2, eventhough the P2 was already heavier than the competition as it was based off an ICE platform. Weight has always been volvo cars’ biggest problem, it’s very disappointing that P* is continuing this legacy

·
Registered
Potential DMLR non PP
25 Posts
What is dissapointing are the acceleration numbers. If true it establishes that the P3 is much heavier than the P2, eventhough the P2 was already heavier than the competition as it was based off an ICE platform. Weight has always been volvo cars’ biggest problem, it’s very disappointing that P* is continuing this legacy
Has to be. The batteries aren't getting more efficant so to make ranges look better they just add more now. 111kwh is half as much weight again compared to P2 in a bigger car. If it's as efficient as my P2, then it's only going to probably get 300 miles comparitively too with that extra capacity.
So this will take even longer to charge when on decent length trips and/or reaching destination using my countries poor 50kw network too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The article won't translate from Dutch to English for me, and I did not find the acceleration numbers. Did you see them somewhere and can post please?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you.

If the rest of the car is a superior choice to a MB EQE SUV, I'm fine with that spec for the long range battery. I don't need to get to the grocery store any faster than that.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Article is saying 0-100 km/h in 5 seconds for the LRDM and 4,7 for the LR Performance.
In comparison, the BMW iX xDrive50 (which I'm taking as the LRDM analogue) is stated as 0-60 in 4.4s and the M60 (LR Perf analogue) is stated as 0-60 in 3.6s.
And BMW is known to underpromise on such numbers.

While 0-60mph/100kph aren't everything, esp for a big SUV, I'm sure a number of folks will look at those specs and make purchasing decisions based on them.
So I hope Polestar is able to actually eke out more acceleration by the time of the reveal/launch - along with the stated cargo capacity and so on.

Reactions: jkk

·
Registered
28 Posts
In comparison, the BMW iX xDrive50 (which I'm taking as the LRDM analogue) is stated as 0-60 in 4.4s and the M60 (LR Perf analogue) is stated as 0-60 in 3.6s.
And BMW is known to underpromise on such numbers.

While 0-60mph/100kph aren't everything, esp for a big SUV, I'm sure a number of folks will look at those specs and make purchasing decisions based on them.
So I hope Polestar is able to actually eke out more acceleration by the time of the reveal/launch - along with the stated cargo capacity and so on.
Possibly so for some, but this will be the "family car" for us, so such concerns are not top of mind here...certainly not when to the right of a decimal point! ;) Cargo space, seating space/comfort, interior features will be top of the list and I do like the exterior design much more than what I've seen of EQE SUV so far. If it was 6 seconds instead of 5 for 0-100kph, that would still not be a problem. I have another car for such pursuits. 😀

21 - 40 of 48 Posts