Polestar Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts

Air suspension - yes
Rear wheel steering - no

Most importantly, 2 front cupholders - yes
It'd be nice if 10° rear wheel steering is available and charging port is located on the right side of the vehicle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Same for us - will be basing the next decision on how comfortably it hauls 5 of us and our stuff for a possible road trip, relative to pricing. In that sense I expect I'll more gravitate to the P*4.

Just thinking about the market for these larger SUVs in general, there are definitely folks who base purchasing decisions based on the spec sheet wars. Hopefully Polestar manages the marketing and pricing around that well enough to sell like they hope to.
My understanding is the P*4 will be same size as a Macan. I can't imagine taking 5 plus luggage in a Macan. ;-)

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
My understanding is the P*4 will be same size as a Macan. I can't imagine taking 5 plus luggage in a Macan. ;-)
Yeah, I'm a bit worried there! :]

But I think the P*4 is also supposed to compete with the TMY, which can definitely haul 5 + luggage (assuming its GVWR allows it...)

We're not that big individually, so would just need another couple inches of hip/shoulder room in the rear bench, and a few cu ft more trunk space and that'd do it for us.

Let's see whether Polestar benchmarks Porsche or Tesla more here! (or neither...)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yeah, I'm a bit worried there! :]

But I think the P*4 is also supposed to compete with the TMY, which can definitely haul 5 + luggage (assuming its GVWR allows it...)

We're not that big individually, so would just need another couple inches of hip/shoulder room in the rear bench, and a few cu ft more trunk space and that'd do it for us.

Let's see whether Polestar benchmarks Porsche or Tesla more here! (or neither...)
I know Polestar wants the Porsche comparison, but it's probably more helpful to make the comparison to Volvo and the platforms that will be shared.

P2 = XC40/C40
P3 = (E)XC90
P4 = (E)XC60
P5 = (E)S90

·
Registered
2022 DM / snow/ nappa/ pilot, plus / 20” rims
113 Posts

Air suspension - yes
Rear wheel steering - no

Most importantly, 2 front cupholders - yes
yes considering the market segment of the P3, interior comfort should be a priority. Also, one of the major negatives of the P2 is space (=comfort) and lack of storage (=practicality).

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Screenshots from the GTC session video:
View attachment 17693

Side profile view:
View attachment 17694

Subscription based services (personal note: 🤮, I do hope purchase is also option)
View attachment 17695
Interesting! What's the GTC video - is it posted somewhere?

The P*3 images so far don't have a top central bump like the bubble images of the EX90 showed in the Volvo safety video. So will the P*3 not get the LIDAR system at launch?

re other comments, I agree for this segment they should prioritize interior packaging, comfort, and practicality. But I'm also bracing for some form > function choices....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting! What's the GTC video - is it posted somewhere?

The P*3 images so far don't have a top central bump like the bubble images of the EX90 showed in the Volvo safety video. So will the P*3 not get the LIDAR system at launch?

re other comments, I agree for this segment they should prioritize interior packaging, comfort, and practicality. But I'm also bracing for some form > function choices....
Needs registration but can be found here: GTC 2022: #1 AI Conference

As for Lidar, it was mentioned that not all PS3s would have it, what I didn’t catch was if it meant that it’s optional extra or something that isn’t available at all at launch.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
Needs registration but can be found here: GTC 2022: #1 AI Conference

As for Lidar, it was mentioned that not all PS3s would have it, what I didn’t catch was if it meant that it’s optional extra or something that isn’t available at all at launch.
Around 16:00 I think he indicated LIDAR wouldn't be available at launch but would come later.

I do hope they have the Tesla-like visualization of surrounding cars like they showed! Wonder how much could be retro-fitted back into the P2?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
yes considering the market segment of the P3, interior comfort should be a priority. Also, one of the major negatives of the P2 is space (=comfort) and lack of storage (=practicality).
That's debatable. We're an active family of four and the P2 works perfectly well for us.

I think we, in the US, moved in the direction of vehicles that are way larger than what's really needed. So you end up with these large SUVs that people think they need, but vastly underutilize. I'd be happy if we moved away from that mindset. Bigger vehicles mean you need larger batteries to maintain the same range, which means you're using more energy (less efficient) to achieve the same drive. That's exactly the sort of thing we should be disincentivizing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's debatable. We're an active family of four and the P2 works perfectly well for us.

I think we, in the US, moved in the direction of vehicles that are way larger than what's really needed. So you end up with these large SUVs that people think they need, but vastly underutilize. I'd be happy if we moved away from that mindset. Bigger vehicles mean you need larger batteries to maintain the same range, which means you're using more energy (less efficient) to achieve the same drive. That's exactly the sort of thing we should be disincentivizing.
You know that Is a good point and I'm guilty of that because I have an SUV and like them more than a car (especially since I'm 6ft3) even though I don't need them. I'm trying to get a P3 or Kia ev9 (which is even bigger) for me as a single man with no kids lol. Makes no sense but I like it haha

·
Registered
2022 DM / snow/ nappa/ pilot, plus / 20” rims
113 Posts

I'm actually impressed that your family of four is comfortable enough with the P2. I mean, it's not a small car per se, dimensions are borderline compact/family size.

it's just the inside of the car seems impractical and small feeling. My i3 (which was WAY smaller overall) actually felt bigger due to the design. it was nice, open and airy.

the one knock I have on the p2 is storage space inside (and one accessible cupholder). just nowhere to put things (non existent center console space)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I'm actually impressed that your family of four is comfortable enough with the P2. I mean, it's not a small car per se, dimensions are borderline compact/family size.

it's just the inside of the car seems impractical and small feeling. My i3 (which was WAY smaller overall) actually felt bigger due to the design. it was nice, open and airy.

the one knock I have on the p2 is storage space inside (and one accessible cupholder). just nowhere to put things (non existent center console space)
We are also people that will go on vacation for two weeks and have two small carry-ons and a backpack. It's all in the packaging and prioritizing.

The only time the cupholder bit is an issue is if both my wife and I have a coffee or something. But for that I did printup one of the cupholders you can put on the glovebox door. Otherwise we only really ever have refillable water bottles, which fit PERFECTLY in the door pocket.

Otherwise everything else I need stored in the car fits fine, especially if you remove the mostly pointless second cupholder under the armrest.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts