Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

Polestar has officially announced that the P3 will make its world premiere on October 12th at 1:00 pm eastern.

It will be streamed here:

GOTHENBURG, SWEDEN – 28 September 2022. Polestar cars (Nasdaq: PSNY) will premiere its first SUV, Polestar 3, at a launch event on October 12, 2022, in Copenhagen, Denmark. Featuring Polestar CEO, Thomas Ingenlath, and Polestar Head of Design, Maximilian Missoni, the event will be livestreamed globally beginning at 1 p.m. EST, allowing consumers a glimpse at the brand’s debut in the SUV market. For those who want to tune in, the live broadcast will be available at

Polestar 3 is a powerful, design-led electric performance SUV that appeals to the senses with a distinct shape, while providing excellent driving dynamics. “We had to ask ourselves: ‘what should a modern SUV look like?’ Polestar 3 defines the SUV for the electric age, and in designing it we addressed some of the fundamentals of the archetype: proportions, stance and aerodynamics,” says Thomas Ingenlath, Polestar CEO.

Built on a new all-electric technology base, Polestar 3 also features the latest in high-tech components. This includes a centralized core processor from NVIDIA, and a long list of advanced safety systems from Volvo Cars and leading industry suppliers such as Zenseact, Luminar and Smart Eye.

At Polestar, performance means more than straight-line acceleration. At launch, each version of the Polestar 3 will feature a rear-biased dual motor powertrain and torque vectoring via a dual clutch system on the rear electric motor. Delivered as standard, adaptive dual-chamber air suspension and active dampers will allow Polestar 3 to switch between comfort and firm suspension dynamics while adjusting to the road conditions once every two milliseconds (500 Hz).

“It’s this instant ability to transform from a comfortable cruiser to a sharp, agile performance car in less than the blink of an eye that makes Polestar 3 special as an electric performance SUV,” continued Ingenlath. “It also benefits from a low center of gravity and wide track for ultimate stability, and an exciting feeling behind the wheel.”

The optional Performance Pack provides the Polestar 3 with 517 hp and 671 lb.-ft. of torque, along with Polestar Engineered chassis tuning for the active dampers and air suspension. Polestar’s signature Swedish gold details are also added, including valve caps, seat belts and a laser-etched interior light strip.

Additional information regarding Polestar 3 will be shared throughout the event on October 12. Join the livestream to learn more about the brand’s SUV for the electric age.

· Registered
4,660 Posts
The P10 motor must not have been ready for launch - am guessing that will come with the P*5 then.

Will be interesting to see what all is different or not between the EX90 and P*3. Am guessing a lot of the luxe and safety features will be the same/similar - BW stereo, air suspension, sensors galore.

If I understand correctly, the dual clutch transmission could be as much for efficiency (motor disconnect to prevent parasitic losses) as for torque vectoring. So that might be in the Volvo as well.

The battery will be the same. Will the motors and power figures be the same too or will they basically software cap the Volvos?

So is the P*3 basically a coupe-y and chassis tuned version of the EX90 with some more aggressive styling?

· Registered
2022 P2 Midnight PPP
300 Posts
So the spec leaks seem to be bang on, acceleration is a bit disappointing.
I think with the Model S plaid we may have reached a tipping point when it comes to 0-60 one-upmanship. I think people are realizing anything below 4.5 seconds might be cool to impress your friends but doesn’t really provide a significantly enhanced driving experience. The way a car feels and handles and excites is about so much more than 0-60 in a straight line. If the P3 delivers a thrilling drive in an SUV design form at the expense of not chasing a sub 4 second time that is of little benefit, I’m all for that.

· Registered
1,551 Posts
So is the P*3 basically a coupe-y and chassis tuned version of the EX90 with some more aggressive styling?
The P3 was always going to share a platform with the EXC90, the Lotus Eletre, etc.. They're all on the SEA-1 platform, so in a way, yes, you could think of the P3 as sitting between the EXC90 and the Eletre, in terms of power, styling, and performance.

· Registered
28 Posts
The P3 was always going to share a platform with the EXC90, the Lotus Eletre, etc.. They're all on the SEA-1 platform, so in a way, yes, you could think of the P3 as sitting between the EXC90 and the Eletre, in terms of power, styling, and performance.
P3 and EX90 is not on the SEA platform, they're on the SPA2.

· Registered
1,551 Posts
P3 and EX90 is not on the SEA platform, they're on the SPA2.
Geely sort of unofficially no longer uses the SPA2 platform name. Once they decided that there would only be EVs, they rebranded SPA2 to the existing SEA platform name and labelled it as SEA1, to mark a change in development and mindset. "SPA2" has lived on, it seems, mostly to not create confusion for automotive journalists and the like, by changing the platform name mid-development.

SEA1 is for the larger models, including the EXC90, P3, and Eletre (and at this point, also the P5).

The P4 will be on the smaller SEA2.

They've not done a particularly great job at making the change in architecture nomenclature very clear (that might be on purpose), like this weird way of saying it, from Volvo's Head of Advanced Tech & Sustainability.

· Registered
28 Posts
Geely sort of unofficially no longer uses the SPA2 platform name. Once they decided that there would only be EVs, they rebranded SPA2 to the existing SEA platform name and labelled it as SEA1, to mark a change in development and mindset. "SPA2" has lived on, it seems, mostly to not create confusion for automotive journalists and the like, by changing the platform name mid-development.

SEA1 is for the larger models, including the EXC90, P3, and Eletre (and at this point, also the P5).

The P4 will be on the smaller SEA2.

They've not done a particularly great job at making the change in architecture nomenclature very clear (that might be on purpose), like this weird way of saying it, from Volvo's Head of Advanced Tech & Sustainability.

I agree that it's a mess with all the different platforms and naming of them in the Geely group. But I absolutely don't believe that these cars are built on SEA.

· Registered
4,660 Posts
EX90 will be 3-row, P*3 2-row... sounds like pretty different classes to me, family hauler vs. sporty
Will see once their reveals come around. But I suspect the EX90 will be similar height/width as the P*3, maybe a bit longer (comparing side profiles of what’s been released).
I think the P*3 likely could have managed a 3rd row if the designers were so inclined, except its coupey sloping rear took away some head space and they wanted to maintain differentiation from Volvo.

· Registered
145 Posts
Will see once their reveals come around. But I suspect the EX90 will be similar height/width as the P*3, maybe a bit longer (comparing side profiles of what’s been released).
I think the P*3 likely could have managed a 3rd row if the designers were so inclined, except its coupey sloping rear took away some head space and they wanted to maintain differentiation from Volvo.
Looking forward to it - this review kind of confirms the excitement. The P3 looks absolutely sexy and stunning! After seeing an actual black Polestar 2 recently a few weeks ago, this new P3 is going to be "selling out". 510HP, Dual Motor Powertrain, 671 LBFT of Torque!

· Registered
1,551 Posts
I can't find it now, but at one point Thomas Ingenlath said that Polestar would not, and never will, build a 3-row SUV. I think it was when he was doing something related to the Polestar 5, when they were saying that would only be available as a 4-seater, and not a 5-seater. His view was that 'those' customers are already served by Volvo.

· Registered
33 Posts
I can't find it now, but at one point Thomas Ingenlath said that Polestar would not, and never will, build a 3-row SUV. I think it was when he was doing something related to the Polestar 5, when they were saying that would only be available as a 4-seater, and not a 5-seater. His view was that 'those' customers are already served by Volvo.
This one?

Firstly, to no great surprise given the low roofline evident in the official picture, Ingenlath confirmed the Polestar 3 will only have two rows of seats.
“I have nothing against three-rows per se,” he said, “but the second we did do that you guys would be asking what was the differentiation to to the XC90. . .Having two rows gives the opportunity to give the car that aerodynamic roofline, it gives the chance to emphasize the space between the first and second rows, which really gives the second row a luxurious feeling.”

· Registered
145 Posts
I drove a 7 seater 2004 XC90 2.5T for 18 years and I loved the extra space. I don’t need that extra space now, but, if my hard earned $$ on EX90 is the same or cheaper than the P3, guess where my investment goes? The performance on my FWD was not too bad but as the SUV aged it did get slower. I have a great performance and road riding in my 2022 Ultimate Trim C40 already. While I love the design aesthetics of the P3; I’ll get the EX90 at a slightly lesser price point (positive guesstimate) with similar or almost awesome performance from their current EV architecture. I can fit well sized and tall adults in my C40 and I am sure it will be much more comfortable with the P3 in terms of head and leg room.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts