·
Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor Launch Edition 2021 - Void
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen these pictures pop-up for the P4:

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Sky Automotive parking light Vehicle

Sort of takes the front from the P3 with the back of the P2 and raised a little higher than the P2. Apparently it will still share the CMA platform with the P2, and the new SPA2 Platform is only for the higher end models P3 and P5. I find it quite good looking from the back, the front not bad, but not wow either. Maybe just a question of getting used to it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Doesn’t look any bigger than the P2. Is it supposed to be bigger? Need to see them side by side. Front will be better for aerodynamics, but I like it less than the current P2 grill and front fascia.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Supposed to be similar in size, and prize, just more Coupe-SUV. So little higher on the wheels and a little more SUV with a sloping roof line. P3 is supposed to be towards the XC90 and starting price of 75K EUR, whereas the P4 should be more around 45K as a starting price.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sort of takes the front from the P3 with the back of the P2 and raised a little higher than the P2.
P3 hasn't been revealed yet, so not sure how it takes the front from it.

Apparently it will still share the CMA platform with the P2
Not what was in the press earlier; they mentioned some other platform than CMA and SPA2. [Edit] They had mentioned P*4 will sit on SEA platform.

I'm wondering if this is some artist's rendering or an actual prototype. I would hate for them to dilute the Precept's looks by launching this.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Don’t like the rear lights, and the view from the rear view mirror is probably the same or worse. The rest of the car looks nice, especially the front lights, if the P2 had Thor’s Hammer…..does the P4 have Thor’s hockey sticks? Lol

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, it's probably a render, just like the P3 I posted in the other thread. But not a bad one.

P3 hasn't been revealed yet, so not sure how it takes the front from it.
Should've been more clear, this is probably just a render (not sure, but most likely), but I put a similar render of the P3 in the other thread and the front of those and this one are identical.

Officially nothing new is released on the P3 until Q1 next year I believe and seeing as P4 comes in '23, that's probably a long time away too. But they probably won't be super far off either.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Assuming the wheel base is bigger and that angle or wheels are larger so it's deceptive ... I'm all in.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
The Polestar investor brochure from Sept indicates that the Polestar 4 will be on the "PMA" platform, which I believe is a variant of the Geely SEA platform that the Zeekr001 is on:

They say they're targeting 600km WLTP range, and I believe the SEA platform (and possibly the SPA2 platform?) can support 800V architectures which should allow faster charging curves a la the Hyundai/Kia E-GMP platform of the Ioniq5 and EV6, and the Lucid platform (which is 900V IIRC).

Based on the blanketed pics I think the Polestar 4 will be a bit (like 2" diff) taller and more aerodynamic version of the Polestar 2 with Precept design cues, kind of like these renders suggest, but I expect the Polestar design team to make it look even better than the AutoWeek renderer manages.

If so, and they meet their target specs (at least as well as they met the Polestar 2's targets) and launch timeline, I could definitely see going for a Polestar 3 or 4 (based on interior space needs) when my PP lease is up at end 2024..... assuming they have the software stuff better worked out by then too.

Overall, with these new cars on new platforms coming out, I expect max ~1 year more of development of the Polestar 2 to fix current bugs and missing features, and then basically locking in whatever there is in mid 2022 as all that will be available for the Polestar 2 until its end of model life (2025-27 ?). If a feature isn't enabled or debugged by next summer, I doubt we will see much more than that. It just wouldn't make sense for them to continue to develop the old model while trying to develop 3 new models on 2 entirely different platforms.

Edit: @GDank the later images in the investor brochure show a more usual skateboard style platform and the Zeekr001 I believe has a longer wheelbase too, so I expect the Polestar 3-5 will all be on longer wheelbases, more in line with the rest of EVs out there. I'm at least assuming that they will be!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My lease will be up in 2025, so the P4 will be just as old as the P2 is now that I'm getting it. So could be a decent next option, if similarly priced to the P2 as is expected at the moment. Although also depends on how expensive it will be for me as a company car by then, because it won't be as incentivized as it is now.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Overall, with these new cars on new platforms coming out, I expect max ~1 year more of development of the Polestar 2 to fix current bugs and missing features, and then basically locking in whatever there is in mid 2022 as all that will be available for the Polestar 2 until its end of model life (2025-27 ?). If a feature isn't enabled or debugged by next summer, I doubt we will see much more than that. It just wouldn't make sense for them to continue to develop the old model while trying to develop 3 new models on 2 entirely different platforms.
I don't think I agree with this line of reasoning (for now at least). If you look in the same investor presentation, they have violent volume goals for the coming years, which can't be met by P*3, 4 and 5. They need to sell a bunch of P*2s to bring their numbers up. Why would they not actively maintain the car they want to sell in volumes to rake in market cash?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I don't think I agree with this line of reasoning (for now at least). If you look in the same investor presentation, they have violent volume goals for the coming years, which can't be met by P*3, 4 and 5. They need to sell a bunch of P*2s to bring their numbers up. Why would they not actively maintain the car they want to sell in volumes to rake in market cash?
They'll certainly maintain it through its natural end of model life - I just doubt that they are going to further develop it much more.
I think they've already shown that they are struggling to enable certain features and meet certain development targets, and that's at least partly due to the platform that's been handed to them. That's with 1 car on 1 platform.

They are also actively developing 2-3 new models on the platforms of their future. Over time they are increasingly incentivized to devote their limited development resources and bandwidth to those cars and those platforms, which are frankly of higher priority for their growth.

In that scenario, the Polestar 2, on the hampered and to-be-sunsetted CMA platform, will naturally shift to a maintained but not actively developed status. Not that they're just going to drop it - they will continue to support and maintain our cars. But more that they will focus on optimizing its production and distribution for maximal profit margins, rather than introducing new or improved features, the development of which would eat into those margins. They've already implied that they are going to settle for wired, not wireless CarPlay for CMA platform cars - not because they can't make it wireless, but more likely that the $$ and effort for that just isn't worth it. Same deal probably for enabling the Android and Apple phone-as-key systems - I doubt those will ever come to the Polestar 2. Polestar 3, 4, and 5 are the cars of their future and soon they will need to focus on those. I'm guessing the next gen Polestar 2 is probably not the Polestar 2, but more likely a Polestar 6 or 7 that's a slightly smaller Polestar 5/Precept.

As another example, the Audi etron is probably going to see only marginal optimizations going forward before it makes way for the Q8 etron. Audi will be focusing on their MEB, PPE, etc platform cars, not further developing the current etron and its platform.

Reactions: julianm

·
Registered
California
908 Posts
Polestar 1 was that one weird time they made an ICE hybrid. Polestar 2 was that one weird time they started down a software platform path that didn’t work out. The Zenuity / Veoneer thing probably didn’t help.

This is my optimistic take because I choose to believe they can do better for their future platform vehicles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Polestar 1 was that one weird time they made an ICE hybrid. Polestar 2 was that one weird time they started down a software platform path that didn’t work out. The Zenuity / Veoneer thing probably didn’t help.

This is my optimistic take because I choose to believe they can do better for their future platform vehicles.
Isn't it still early days on the software platform? It has tons of growth and evolution ahead, no?

·
Registered
California
908 Posts
Isn't it still early days on the software platform? It has tons of growth and evolution ahead, no?
The ADAS platform for Polestar 3 will be different — Volvo / Zenuity is building a new system for SPA2. Veoneer, a separate company, has maintenance responsibilities for the ADAS platform we have. The future Polestar ADAS software and the existing CMA ADAS software don’t even have the same owners… So, for example, regular Pilot Assist might get a little bit better than it currently is, but not significantly. And I don’t expect Polestar 2 to ever gain “Park Assist Pilot” type functionality. Why build it for a platform they’re no longer using for future vehicles?

Polestar has already said they plan to support CCC 3.0 / CarKey on future vehicle platforms, which is almost certainly incompatible with the custom Bluetooth phone-as-key setup they’ve built so far. So they’re likely nearly starting over for phone-as-key starting with SPA2.

The rest I think @polerad articulated well.

How much AAOS is or is not involved in that is much more in the world of speculation afaict.

·
Registered
California
908 Posts
Returning to original topic for this thread: My uninformed guess is aesthetically we see more Precept and less Polestar 2 in the Polestar 3 and 4.

They’ll still find ways to keep the Precept a bit higher-end looking — just think of the design elements that help keep the Polestar 1 a notch beyond Polestar 2 — but I think the Polestar 2 will have the most Volvo-to-Polestar transitional looks of the future Polestar family. Precept is the design language going forward.

Compared to the render above, my guess is we still see a more well-defined visible “SmartZone” like Polestar 2. Precept’s minimized “SmartZone” space will be part of what keeps it more premium.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts