Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Polestar and EV charging network ChargePoint are teaming up to simplify the charging experience in the new Polestar 2. The companies are doing by creating an in-car app that, according to an announcement Tuesday, will allow drivers to navigate to an open charging station, monitor their charging and provide payment -- all from the Polestar 2's infotainment system.

·
Super Moderator
1,057 Posts
I hope they extend this agreement to Germany. Chargepoint is the cheapest provider for L2 charging in my hometown.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Need to extend everywhere and then it would awesome!

Reactions: krheinwald

·
Registered
621 Posts
I already like the experience with the app and my home charger. It would really be great if they did a partner arrangement with Electrify America so we could use our ChargePoint app/account at EA chargers and get the discounted pricing.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Agree, although the new EA app is pretty nice. Still, EA has the most, best positioned DC fast chargers at 150kW or greater, certainly in this part of the country. But alas, not part of the Chargepoint roaming network. EVgo is part of the roaming agreement.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here's the announcement from Polestar. Also I believe the ChargePoint app is going to be inside Volvo EVs as well.

New partnership between electric car brand and EV charging network debuts with a revolutionary seamless in-car charging app.

MAHWAH, N.J. and CAMPBELL, Calif. (March 9, 2021) – Polestar Cars, the electric automotive brand from Sweden, and ChargePoint, a world leading electric vehicle (EV) charging network, today announced the creation of a new charging partnership, streamlining mutual efforts to enable a seamless ownership experience for drivers of electric vehicles. The partnership debuts alongside the first product innovation from the brand collaboration: an embedded charging app for the Polestar 2 electric fastback.

The two companies are collaborating to improve the driver experience and debunk the charging myths which block mainstream adoption of electric cars. As a result of the partnership, they are enabling Polestar drivers to focus on the enjoyment of driving an electric car, specifically by making the charging experience even easier than the old way of fueling. The collaboration offers solutions to charge at home, work, around town or on trips, all accessed directly in the Polestar 2 infotainment system.

“We are thrilled to bring our customers access to thousands of charging locations across America, matched with a premium home charger offering for the convenience of always leaving with a full battery,” said Gregor Hembrough, Head of Polestar USA. “With many of our customers switching over directly from internal combustion, charging is a central component of our consumer education process and the overall customer experience. We know ChargePoint is the right partner for this critical need and the new app signals our intent to co-develop new technologies for the benefit of our customers.”

“The transition to electric is well underway and the future of mobility is proving to be more efficient, easy and connected than ever before, and our partnership with Polestar is an example of this shift,” said Bill Loewenthal, Senior Vice President, Product, ChargePoint. “Not only does our partnership with Polestar provide drivers easy access to thousands of level 2 and DC fast places to charge across North America, the in-vehicle integration of the ChargePoint app brings our comprehensive charging ecosystem seamlessly into the in-vehicle experience. This partnership with Polestar is one of the first such integrations, and will serve as a blueprint for further collaborations between the two companies.”

Highlights of the Polestar and ChargePoint Partnership Include:

New In-Car ChargePoint App for the Polestar 2

The new ChargePoint app for the Polestar 2 eliminates the need to pull out your smartphone, RFID card or other method to charge your EV. The Polestar 2 revolutionizes the in-car experience thanks to the world debut of Google’s Android Automotive Infotainment System (OS) and the collaboration between Polestar and ChargePoint takes this to the next level via seamless integration of the ChargePoint app. The ChargePoint app, available later this week in Google Play, embeds directly into the Polestar 2 infotainment system. The app provides an easy way for drivers to find and navigate to available stations, start a charging session from the vehicle and pay if required, all via the center screen in the Polestar 2.

Public Charging Benefits

Another key element of the partnership ensures Polestar drivers will be able to access most of ChargePoint’s more than 130,000 places to charge and thousands of additional public charging spots through roaming agreements with other major charging networks in North America. Access to North America’s largest network ensures drivers will be able to charge wherever they go and whenever they need charging. ChargePoint’s network offers a range of charging solutions, from level 2 to DC fast charging, at destinations where a driver tends to spend time during a normal day like at retail locations and workplaces, if they need a quick top up, or when taking a road trip.

Home Charging Benefits

For those wanting the convenience of leaving home on a full charge, Polestar drivers will be able to order the top-rated ChargePoint Home Flex home charger alongside the purchase of any Polestar vehicle. As more than 80-percent of charging takes place at home and work, the seamless ordering process ensures that drivers are able to purchase and arrange for home installation of the Home Flex before they take delivery of their Polestar car. This e-commerce solution is enabled by the fact that a Polestar car can be purchased fully online, from the comfort of home. The ChargePoint Home Flex is one of the market’s fastest, most flexible home chargers available with the ability to deliver up to 50 amps of current, which is adjustable to match to any home’s electrical supply today and into the future.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar2 Magnesium
24 Posts
Closest ChargePoint fast charger to me is 97 miles and I have $500 credit with them :(. Hopefully since they went public they grow the network substantially.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I can’t get excited about an app.

Let me know when I can just plug it in and walk away like a Tesla on their network.

Until then wether the app is on my phone or on the car is irrelevant.
Don't hold your breath. The P2 is app oriented, and that's the best way to access disparate networks.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
483 Posts
Don't hold your breath. The P2 is app oriented, and that's the best way to access disparate networks.
I’m not, and I’d have returned it before anything like this is done by any non Tesla car.

I am aware that a standard to authenticate over CCS is in the works so hoping that in 2-3 years you’d just be able to have the car ID itself to the charger without having to use the app or an rfid tag.

I don’t mind registering the car once with a network app, as long as any subsequent charge is as simple as plugging it in and walking away.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I am aware that a standard to authenticate over CCS is in the works so hoping that in 2-3 years you’d just be able to have the car ID itself to the charger without having to use the app or an rfid tag.
This is certainly a great long term goal. I wouldn't bet on 2-3 years though. Maybe 5+?

·
Registered
Void non-PP Tow Bar
174 Posts
If this is the partnership, I would like an offer to get my £450 chargemaster credit transferred. I am incredibly unlikely to make a dent in that.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
If this is the partnership, I would like an offer to get my £450 chargemaster credit transferred. I am incredibly unlikely to make a dent in that.
Your credit shouldn't disappear. So the next 10 EVs you own might finally eat it up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
No idea how the in-car app works, but ideal experience for me would be that the app opens automatically when you plug into a ChargePoint charger, so that when you get back in the car you can just tap “Start Session” and it gets billed to your card. Short of that I’m not sure you’re really saving many steps vs. tapping your phone to the charger.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
No idea how the in-car app works, but ideal experience for me would be that the app opens automatically when you plug into a ChargePoint charger, so that when you get back in the car you can just tap “Start Session” and it gets billed to your card. Short of that I’m not sure you’re really saving many steps vs. tapping your phone to the charger.
Well you need not have the app on your phone at all. And if you've used NFT for chargers in the past you'll understand that it doesn't always work well. With the in-car app, you click start charge and then plug in.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
483 Posts
Well you need not have the app on your phone at all. And if you've used NFT for chargers in the past you'll understand that it doesn't always work well. With the in-car app, you click start charge and then plug in.
This is my first EV so only done 5-6 chargers so far, all with RFID. They worked, but when there’s a standard that lets the car communicate with the charger it’s identity, the RFID card is redundant.

Not sure what the situation is in the US but in predominantly CCS Europe I understand Ionity supports the plug and charge standard, and the first few cars are out that also support it (Taycan, I think eTron too). VW has also stated they consider it important and will support it in more models.

I think there’s a good chance that even if this isn’t added via firmware update, in 3 years when the polestar 2 goes back whatever I replace it with will support this standard and many of not all networks will too.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts