Polestar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just assuming this is mainly irrelevant to the UK as if they have charges they must be few and far between. Their app seems to show all chargers and cannot see away to select just chargepoint unless anyone knows better. Anyone got their home charger?

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
I think this is great. But this would be obviated by a few things that are promised and collectively would be greater:
1- the app, which should be usable to check charging status and%SOC
2- Plug n Charge. If the MachE can figure out how to do this with Electrify America, Polestar should be able to figure out how to do this with Electrify America at the least, and the major other networks as well. The protocol for Plug and Charge is included with the J1172 spec AFAIK so it's definitely possible, and doesn't need new hardware - just coding up the software for the handshake.
3- Better Google Maps route planning. I have no idea WTF google is thinking half the time. Even post the recent update, its algorithms make no sense around here for the routes I've tried. Google has the best SOC predictor so I don't know why they suck so bad compared to ABRP. And why we can't just filter charging stops by min kW or similar.

that said, I've tried ChargePoint and EA chargers. ChargePoint works more seamlessly but their fastest chargers are slower than EAs and they're less plentiful. My default is to check ABRP, which does suggest (to me) the best routes and if the EA chargers that are suggested are inconvenient for whatever reason I'll search in PlugShare for the next best option, filtered by min kW.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Plug n Charge. If the MachE can figure out how to do this with Electrify America, Polestar should be able to figure out how to do this with Electrify America at the least, and the major other networks as well.
My concern is whether or not this is baked in so that if you can hand shake with one then you can't with another. At a minimum before this could work the billing has to be sorted out. So when you shake with EA they get the money from some central account you have, or debit your EA account. I think it's more complex than we realize. The app in car method, even if you had to have multiple apps, is very easy to implement.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
My concern is whether or not this is baked in so that if you can hand shake with one then you can't with another. At a minimum before this could work the billing has to be sorted out. So when you shake with EA they get the money from some central account you have, or debit your EA account. I think it's more complex than we realize. The app in car method, even if you had to have multiple apps, is very easy to implement.
Sure, as long as it's essentially seamless to the user. And the CCS protocols allow for that to be seamless, without shenanigans like blocking out charging networks that aren't already set up.

For it to be seamless I think the app in the car should allow you to enter your account/payment info as a one time thing. Then Google's route planning should incorporate info about which networks you prefer, and when you get close to the charging station, whatever battery preconditioning and other prep that needs to happen then happens. You plug in, see lights turn green. Then go on about your business. In the background the car and charger have communicated via the Plug and Charge protocol what car/VIN you have and which account to charge. And it 'Just Works (TM)'.

The current protocols allow for a Supercharger-like seamless experience for nonTesla networks. Hopefully Polestar and the varied charging networks realize that and implement it quickly.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
For it to be seamless I think the app in the car should allow you to enter your account/payment info as a one time thing. Then Google's route planning should incorporate info about which networks you prefer, and when you get close to the charging station, whatever battery preconditioning and other prep that needs to happen then happens. You plug in, see lights turn green. Then go on about your business. In the background the car and charger have communicated via the Plug and Charge protocol what car/VIN you have and which account to charge. And it 'Just Works (TM)'.
I think this is a ways off. All the companies and google would have to collaborate. That takes lots of time and lawyers. And googles route planning may never do what you suggest because there's nothing in it for them. And can you imagine using energy to prep your battery and then you change your mind. I can see the complaints on the forum now. "Why can't the system just read my mind?" 🤣

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just assuming this is mainly irrelevant to the UK as if they have charges they must be few and far between. Their app seems to show all chargers and cannot see away to select just chargepoint unless anyone knows better. Anyone got their home charger?
There’s plenty of chargers within the Chargepoint network in the UK, trying to see which they are is another matter though. I can’t see any guidance from their website or, as you point out, their app which seems To show all chargers irrespective of network provider. When you click on the charger it then shows if one of theirs or not - not at all helpful. Ionity, Instavolt, enGenie? Can‘t see a way to filter directly with Zap-Map either. I hope the Polestar app is an improvement!

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
I think this is a ways off. All the companies and google would have to collaborate. That takes lots of time and lawyers. And googles route planning may never do what you suggest because there's nothing in it for them. And can you imagine using energy to prep your battery and then you change your mind. I can see the complaints on the forum now. "Why can't the system just read my mind?" 🤣
The article I posted indicates that the charging companies have already figured out how to make Plug and Charge happen. The lawyers already had their field day and billed for it. This just has to be specifically implemented for Polestar, by Polestar.

Google then just needs to know which charging networks you prefer, which PlugShare (as an example) already allows, and incorporate that into its route planning algorithm. That can be done entirely independent of the varied charging companies by the user checking off the boxes in directly in Google Maps.

The battery pre-heating thing would be a nice to have, not need to have. But if Tesla can manage that then there is no necessary reason Polestar or any nonTesla car can't figure it out.

As for idiots being idiots and complaining on the internet because of their own idiocy, insert the Serenity Prayer here.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
The article I posted indicates that the charging companies have already figured out how to make Plug and Charge happen. The lawyers already had their field day and billed for it. This just has to be specifically implemented for Polestar, by Polestar.

Google then just needs to know which charging networks you prefer, which PlugShare (as an example) already allows, and incorporate that into its route planning algorithm. That can be done entirely independent of the varied charging companies by the user checking off the boxes in directly in Google Maps.

The battery pre-heating thing would be a nice to have, not need to have. But if Tesla can manage that then there is no necessary reason Polestar or any nonTesla car can't figure it out.

As for idiots being idiots and complaining on the internet because of their own idiocy, insert the Serenity Prayer here.
I know the companies are trying to make this seamless -- like buying gas. But I'm not holding my breath for the full integration the way you describe it. I'll happily eat some crow if it happens before my lease is up. I'll be delighted if there's an app in the car for each type of charger and I can have an account on each without having to have all those apps on my phone, or relying on NFT to get the charger to initialize.

·
Registered
621 Posts
And the battery preheat could have configurable options. Start automatically with an indicator allowing me to cancel, show a notification suggesting starting preconditioning with a prompt to accept or reject, or no preconditioning at all.

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,293 Posts
I think Instavolt are part of ChargePoint - you can install the ChargePoint app to pay for and track your charging from InstaVolt chargers. However it uses the prehistoric "Oohh you have to put money on an account first and leave the balance in our bank accounts between charges" approach, so I immediately uninstalled it.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Void Charcoal Non PP
73 Posts
I think Instavolt are part of ChargePoint - you can install the ChargePoint app to pay for and track your charging from InstaVolt chargers. However it uses the prehistoric "Oohh you have to put money on an account first and leave the balance in our bank accounts between charges" approach, so I immediately uninstalled it.
My new SyncEV home charger is Chargepoint branded 😉

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
realize that and implement it quickly.
This is really an interesting article. And after reading it I'm even more skeptical that this will happen any time soon. Even the most optimistic guy said 2 years. That's if everything goes right and everyone plays well together.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
This is really an interesting article. And after reading it I'm even more skeptical that this will happen any time soon. Even the most optimistic guy said 2 years. That's if everything goes right and everyone plays well together.
the Ford MachE can already use Plug & Charge today at Electrify America stations.
Edit: and the Taycan and upcoming Lucid Air too, as of last November:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
the Ford MachE can already use Plug & Charge today at Electrify America stations.
Edit: and the Taycan and upcoming Lucid Air too, as of last November:
And Teslas have been using Plug & Charge for 10 years. That's irrelevant. The system has to be able to properly encompass all brands of chargers. That's where the difficulty lies.

Ultimately a big issue here will be placement and usage. It was cost effective to have gas stations everywhere because ICE cars had no choice but to use them every week. But EVs need fast chargers rarely. So what does the business case look like to put a charger in the middle of nowhere that gets used a couple times per week by people passing through?

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,293 Posts
VW have rolled out the system in the latest ID.3 software too...

21 - 40 of 67 Posts