Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question about the charging cable provided with the car in North America. The cable has 120 V adapter and a 240 V adapter that are interchangeable. The 240 adapter is for the nema 14-50 outlet. The 120 V adapter works fine however my electrician installed a 50 amp breaker and 14-50 socket this morning but the 240 v adapter is not working. Flashes red and the manual indicates charging is not possible and critical fault.

My electrician is going to come back in morning and replace the 14-50 receptacle but wanted to know if this cable should work with 50 amp 14-50 receptacle? The Polestar support person made it seem like I would need a wall charger for 240V. Doesn't make sense because why would it come with the 240 V adapter.

Hopefully it is just a defective outlet!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a nema 14-50 outlet installed. It is 40 amps and haven’t had any issues. Works flawlessly.

As for a wall charger, it’s not necessary.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I suspect the problem is in the cable. I should check mine. The outlet is easily checked with a voltmeter. There's not much that can go wrong with an outlet, but trying another is an easy check. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
It could be a ground leak in the circuit. New 240 outlets need a dedicated neutral and ground. It could be in the wiring, or it could be in your fuse box.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I’ll add a caveat that 14-50 outlets are rather notorious for having their lifespans shortened by frequent plugging/unplugging. The typical use case is having a fixed appliance plugged into them and then that sits there more or less forever. They tend to be less reliable than your standard wall outlet with frequent use.

If the included charger cable is going to remain plugged in, fine, but if you’ll be taking it with you frequently I might recommend an affordable wall box that stays permanently plugged in (and can help monitor consumption and schedule off-peak charging, while we’re at it).

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
If the included charger cable is going to remain plugged in, fine, but if you’ll be taking it with you frequently I might recommend an affordable wall box that stays permanently plugged in
I'll second this. A 14-50 plug is not meant to be taken in and out frequently. At a minimum you should throw the breaker before you plug or unplug. Best would be to by an EVSE that stays plugged in.

·
Registered
PS 2, 2021, Void, 20" Michelin AS, TowBar,
17 Posts
I use a NEMA 14 50. 240 v 40 amp breaker. Leave it plugged in as I charge almost every night. Not so easy to unplug and "yes" to it being a stationary electric stove outlet. But, I haven't charged in the field yet and this setup works well.

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
265 Posts
I had a nema 14-50 outlet installed. It is 40 amps and haven’t had any issues. Works flawlessly.

Same here - nema 14-50 with a 50A breaker (40A continuous). Works (worked - haven't tried in a while) perfectly.

I would still recommend (and, in fact, use myself) a wall charger. These high-power outlets are not built for repeated plugging and unplugging, so unless you leave the cable in there (which means you can't take it with you), you will wear it out.

Update: Sorry, noticed too late that someone else had already pointed this out.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
And as for the wearing out, this is not your standard household plug drawing maybe 5A. You are going to be drawing a continuous 40A at 240V for many hours when you charge the car. That's a lot of power. As the plug wears out the connection will generate a lot of heat, which can be dangerous. If you take it out a couple times a year you are probably ok. But if you are yanking this thing every week, get an EVSE that plugs in and leave it there.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Ok, I'm researching wall chargers
Get a decent one - nothing cheap from China. And make sure it's UL rated. And don't pay for bells and whistles if you don't need them.

Check out Clipper Creek. Made in the USA and built like a tank.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Remind me again where our Polestar 2's are manufactured? ;-)

Seriously, I've heard nothing bad about Clipper Creek EVSE's but I have had zero issues with my ChargePoint Home Flex, too.
If this car's production wasn't designed and supervised by Swedish engineers, I wouldn't touch it.

Cheap units are manufactured and sold by Chinese companies with no sense of quality, no UL certification, and inferior components. When you're dealing with large quantities of electricity that's a recipe for disaster.

Nothing wrong with CP chargers. But you are paying a premium for a lot of bells and whistles. That's just more things that can break. I've had a CC for 5 years and have little doubt it will outlast any car as that is their history.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Remind me again where our Polestar 2's are manufactured? ;-)

Seriously, I've heard nothing bad about Clipper Creek EVSE's but I have had zero issues with my ChargePoint Home Flex, too.
My Chargepoint Home Flex (hardwired) has been bulletproof also. 11.2 kW steady and it's nice to see the cost of a charge tied directly to my power company's rates right in the app. And it was pretty reasonable - I got it online and had an electrician I know (yes, licensed and bonded) install for me as it is a bit more than I would want to try myself.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I'm very happy with my CP Flex. 'Also like having a complete record of my charging on the app including the charging I just did in the wild.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
y Chargepoint Home Flex (hardwired) has been bulletproof also.
I would hope so if you've only had it 6 months. It's unlikely to stop charging anytime soon. But (and this goes for many electronic appliances), it's all the bells and whistles that have a propensity to fail. As a for instance (I have a friend in the service business), a brand new $10K SubZero refrigerator has a lower life expectancy than a similar model that's 20 years old. The compressors on both have about equal longevity, but all the added electronics on the new model tend to fail and cause costly repairs long before you need a new compressor.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,588 Posts
Re ChargePoint reliability, I had one instance in which I was seeing service interruptions, with things restarting on their own. Without the charge point app and monitoring of the unit I wouldn't have had any clue about it. I notified ChargePoint (and Polestar, in case it was a Polestar issue) about the behavior. They remote pinged the box and saw an error code indicating the cable could be faulty. They immediately shipped out a new unit free of charge (once I showed my receipt for purchase of it) along with a return label for the old unit. New unit has been faultless since. Pretty stellar support for what could have been a negative experience given how it started.

Point taken that bells/whistles are likely to be a source of lack of reliability. In this case the bells/whistles actually helped to discover, diagnose, and solve the problem, all via remote monitoring.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Re ChargePoint reliability, I had one instance in which I was seeing service interruptions, with things restarting on their own. Without the charge point app and monitoring of the unit I wouldn't have had any clue about it. I notified ChargePoint (and Polestar, in case it was a Polestar issue) about the behavior. They remote pinged the box and saw an error code indicating the cable could be faulty. They immediately shipped out a new unit free of charge (once I showed my receipt for purchase of it) along with a return label for the old unit. New unit has been faultless since. Pretty stellar support for what could have been a negative experience given how it started.

Point taken that bells/whistles are likely to be a source of lack of reliability. In this case the bells/whistles actually helped to discover, diagnose, and solve the problem, all via remote monitoring.
Agreed. And of course that type of service/warranty response is to be expected from any good manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts