Polestar Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I also was having a problem as I had to plug in, remove the plug, and then plug in again. Called them up, got straight through, the service guy was able to log in to my charger and saw I had a schedule set and that was the cause of the problem. I was able to fix it through the app and it's been great since. It was operator error and I ended up impressed by the customer service.

So I have no hesitation to recommend the ChargePoint.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
So I have no hesitation to recommend the ChargePoint.
Don't get me wrong. I have no hesitation recommending the CP either. It's a premium product but it comes at a premium price. I actually spoke with CP before the Flex came out and they offered me the specs and a courtesy discount to wait for it's release. Even with that I felt it was too expensive. My then car and power company provided all the control I really need without paying for more bells and whistles.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I have no hesitation recommending the CP either. It's a premium product but it comes at a premium price. I actually spoke with CP before the Flex came out and they offered me the specs and a courtesy discount to wait for it's release. Even with that I felt it was too expensive. My then car and power company provided all the control I really need without paying for more bells and whistles.
And that's why it's great to have options. I probably would have been fine with a simpler charger, but I caught a really good online deal after doing research on my own, and I also contacted Polestar to validate my choice. That's when they informed me of their partnership with Chargepoint and also their recommendation of the Flex. So it all worked out for me just fine. Maybe I could have saved a bit of money, but I'm happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
PS 2, 2021, Void, 20" Michelin AS, TowBar,
17 Posts
The car has the charging unit built in. My car, in the North American market comes with a substantial cable with an interchangable male plug, a 120 Volt for level 1 and a NEMA 14 50 for 240 volt level 2 charging. I installed a basic stove 240 volt NEMA 14 50 female outlet in my garage with 10 feet of awg 8/3 cable and a double pole 40 amp breaker. (Really inexpensive)!
My cable remains plugged in to the outlet, I connect the car every evening charging to the recommended 90% even though I only use, on average, 30% to 40% per day.
If I were planning an extended trip I would take my cable with me for just in case reasons but I would plan and rely on commercial stations.
Other than a situation where I would need an outside weather proof outlet I find it difficult to justify the purchase of any of the "so called" chargers that are in reality, just expensive stove outlets.
If I have missed something, other than the fact that my stove plug is not designed for continuous plugging and unplugging, something that I don't do very often anyway, I would appreciate being informed.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
No, Peter, you're good. I realized only long after getting the Flex in advance, that I could have gotten along fine without the EVSE. I've never used my cable. I sometimes wonder if I should have it in the frunk at all.

Reactions: Peter

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
No, Peter, you're good. I realized only long after getting the Flex in advance, that I could have gotten along fine without the EVSE. I've never used my cable. I sometimes wonder if I should have it in the frunk at all.
I keep thinking maybe some day 14-50 outlets will become more common place and you'll be able to plug yourself in wherever you go. Probably wishful thinking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Question about the charging cable provided with the car in North America. The cable has 120 V adapter and a 240 V adapter that are interchangeable. The 240 adapter is for the nema 14-50 outlet. The 120 V adapter works fine however my electrician installed a 50 amp breaker and 14-50 socket this morning but the 240 v adapter is not working. Flashes red and the manual indicates charging is not possible and critical fault.

My electrician is going to come back in morning and replace the 14-50 receptacle but wanted to know if this cable should work with 50 amp 14-50 receptacle? The Polestar support person made it seem like I would need a wall charger for 240V. Doesn't make sense because why would it come with the 240 V adapter.

Hopefully it is just a defective outlet!
You need 40amp

Mine is working perfect New Jersey.

Car chargers fully in about 5 hours overnight. Greats are cheapest between 9:00 p.m. to 9:00 a.m.

Totals about five bucks to a full charge.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You need 40amp

Mine is working perfect New Jersey.

Car chargers fully in about 5 hours overnight. Greats are cheapest between 9:00 p.m. to 9:00 a.m.

Totals about five bucks to a full charge.
I have the same set-up.
Nema 14-50 on a 40 amp breaker.
No problems whatsoever, since I got the car 2 months ago.

Down at my shore condo:
Nema 6-20 outlet on a 20 amp breaker
This set up, unfortunately, only gives me 10 miles/hour charging, but does the job.
Obviously, I purchased a separate charging cable for that specific outlet.

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
308 Posts
Question about the charging cable provided with the car in North America. The cable has 120 V adapter and a 240 V adapter that are interchangeable. The 240 adapter is for the nema 14-50 outlet. The 120 V adapter works fine however my electrician installed a 50 amp breaker and 14-50 socket this morning but the 240 v adapter is not working. Flashes red and the manual indicates charging is not possible and critical fault.

My electrician is going to come back in morning and replace the 14-50 receptacle but wanted to know if this cable should work with 50 amp 14-50 receptacle? The Polestar support person made it seem like I would need a wall charger for 240V. Doesn't make sense because why would it come with the 240 V adapter.

Hopefully it is just a defective outlet!
My Polestar charger maxes out at 40amp so a 50amp breaker should be fine. try setting your car to a lower charge speed like 30amp and see if it changes. The charger should flash white.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts