Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worst new-car experience I have ever had:

+ Initial interaction was positive; placed an order on-line for a MY233 and scheduled a test drive. Before my test drive a rep from the Space sent an email thanking me for my order and saying they noticed I also scheduled a test drive. Gave me details on were to park at the Space and the quickest path to them. Gave a good impression; seemed they were on-top of things.

- Ended up selecting a pre-configured MY22 on the website instead of waiting fro my MY23 order. Next day Space rep called me and said, sorry but there was a glitch and someone else bought that pre-configured right before you did. "it shouldn't have let you buy that pre-configured car", talking with them they did have a demo car available or another new car that wasn't listed on the pre-configured page yet. Decided to go with the other pre-configured, new car.

- Get to the space the next day to take delivery (they didn't have anyone to deliver it to us); I was buying using my own financing and a little bit cash down. Website said credit card was an acceptable form of payment, Space said it was not. Had to leave the space and spend an hour rushing to my CU to get a cashiers check. Back at the space they couldn't figure out how to set the paperwork up with my financing and trade-in (my CU, the largest CU in the nation, requires they treat the trade-in as paid off as my CU roles the remaining balance into the new loan on their end since the old and new loan are with them). Took the space over 3.5 hours to get the paper work figured out.

- Took delivery on a Friday, did some traveling on Sat/Sun and spend over $60 bucks on EA charging (couldn't get the free EA charging promo to validate). Monday I contacted Polestar Support, there was two issues with my order. 1) the VIN was never updated to the car I actually took home and 2) the order was never updated from "planned" to delivered. They fixed it and the EA promo started working on Tuesday. Frustrating

- Monday is when I first tried to charge my car at home; kept erroring out. Tried all the recommended troubleshooting on the forums and nothing helped. DC Fast charging worked fine though. I also noticed the driver side, rear window trim (external) was damaged (seemed warped/melted a bit) and the drivers window tint had some flaws in it. I reached out to Polestar Support and they said to contact my local Polestar Service Center. Contacted the Polestar Service Center (which is the service department at the affiliated Volvo dealer). Can't get in touch with the dedicated Polestar Service advisor (he is very busy), other folks there don't really know anything about Polestar, they say they can set me up with a service appointment and they can take a look at it but I have to bring the car to them and no loaner/rental (I can wait or take the shuttle). Talk to Polestar Support and they again refer me to the Service Center, keep calling the service center and finally get ahold of the Polestar Advisor who says Polestar Support should have coordinated a tow (due to there not being enough charge to reach the Service Center due to it not charging) and I tell him they referred me to him. He and Polestar Support finally get it together and schedule a tow truck for the next day and it gets picked up and taken to the Service Center. The next morning I get a call from a tech asking me to describe what was wrong with the car charging (it was working fine for them). Explained everything I experienced and they said they would keep looking. I hear nothing back the rest of that day; the day after, after waiting until late afternoon I call back to see if there is an update. They diagnosed it as a faulty onboard chargers and replacement parts were ordered but would take 7-10 days. They did have a loaner that was available but they couldn't bring it to me, I would have to come get it. I was able to take off work and have my brother drive me the 45-60 mins to the dealership. I get the loaner and also ask about the window tint and window trim, they had forgotten about both of this issues but promised to check into them.

- Monday evening is also when I get a call from the Sales Rep at the Polestar Space, he tells me when they spent 3.5 hours figuring out the paperwork they were short around $800 and says they would like to send someone to me to pickup a check. I ask for them to send over the math; they do and it checks out, I see what they did wrong...I also see if they had just handled it like I told them to (and the instructions from my CU told them to) then this wouldn't have happened. They send someone by and there goes another $800.

- Five days later, I sent an email (because I couldn't get ahold of them via phone, kept going to VM) to the service advisor asking if there was a status update and about some quotes for other things (roof sunshade, folding tow-bar). After a few more days and not hearing back (day 7 since them having the car) I try calling to get an update. After multiple calls and getting disconnected and/or sent to voicemail I get ahold of someone (not the Polestar Advisor) they take my name and number and say he will call me back when he is done with a customer. Never get a call back. A few days later (day 10 since them having the car) I get a response to my email. The car is done and will be fully charged by noon. It also included quotes for the roof sunshade and towbar (though it says it wouldn't be a folding towbar which doesn't make sense to me). Whatever, I take an extended lunch and head over to pick up my car. I get there and the service advisor instantly says "we had an incident" and proceeds to tell me the delivery truck swiped my car while they had it out charging, he knew since the morning but didn't want to tell me over the phone or email. He shows me the damage and says they are going to take care of it; they will get it to their body shop on Monday (today is a Friday) and then get back to me with an ETA. Tells me to keep the loaner; I asked about it now being an almost brand new car with body work and he said all they can do is apologize.

BTW, the quote to have the towbar installed was an insane $2800, not including tax.

This is an absolute trainwreck of an experience and I wished I had stayed far far away from Polestar. :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
22 P2 Snow,Pilot,Plus,20”
91 Posts

+ Initial interaction was positive; placed an order on-line for a MY233 and scheduled a test drive. Before my test drive a rep from the Space sent an email thanking me for my order and saying they noticed I also scheduled a test drive. Gave me details on were to park at the Space and the quickest path to them. Gave a good impression; seemed they were on-top of things.

- Ended up selecting a pre-configured MY22 on the website instead of waiting fro my MY23 order. Next day Space rep called me and said, sorry but there was a glitch and someone else bought that pre-configured right before you did. "it shouldn't have let you buy that pre-configured car", talking with them they did have a demo car available or another new car that wasn't listed on the pre-configured page yet. Decided to go with the other pre-configured, new car.

- Get to the space the next day to take delivery (they didn't have anyone to deliver it to us); I was buying using my own financing and a little bit cash down. Website said credit card was an acceptable form of payment, Space said it was not. Had to leave the space and spend an hour rushing to my CU to get a cashiers check. Back at the space they couldn't figure out how to set the paperwork up with my financing and trade-in (my CU, the largest CU in the nation, requires they treat the trade-in as paid off as my CU roles the remaining balance into the new loan on their end since the old and new loan are with them). Took the space over 3.5 hours to get the paper work figured out.

- Took delivery on a Friday, did some traveling on Sat/Sun and spend over $60 bucks on EA charging (couldn't get the free EA charging promo to validate). Monday I contacted Polestar Support, there was two issues with my order. 1) the VIN was never updated to the car I actually took home and 2) the order was never updated from "planned" to delivered. They fixed it and the EA promo started working on Tuesday. Frustrating

- Monday is when I first tried to charge my car at home; kept erroring out. Tried all the recommended troubleshooting on the forums and nothing helped. DC Fast charging worked fine though. I also noticed the driver side, rear window trim (external) was damaged (seemed warped/melted a bit) and the drivers window tint had some flaws in it. I reached out to Polestar Support and they said to contact my local Polestar Service Center. Contacted the Polestar Service Center (which is the service department at the affiliated Volvo dealer). Can't get in touch with the dedicated Polestar Service advisor (he is very busy), other folks there don't really know anything about Polestar, they say they can set me up with a service appointment and they can take a look at it but I have to bring the car to them and no loaner/rental (I can wait or take the shuttle). Talk to Polestar Support and they again refer me to the Service Center, keep calling the service center and finally get ahold of the Polestar Advisor who says Polestar Support should have coordinated a tow (due to there not being enough charge to reach the Service Center due to it not charging) and I tell him they referred me to him. He and Polestar Support finally get it together and schedule a tow truck for the next day and it gets picked up and taken to the Service Center. The next morning I get a call from a tech asking me to describe what was wrong with the car charging (it was working fine for them). Explained everything I experienced and they said they would keep looking. I hear nothing back the rest of that day; the day after, after waiting until late afternoon I call back to see if there is an update. They diagnosed it as a faulty onboard chargers and replacement parts were ordered but would take 7-10 days. They did have a loaner that was available but they couldn't bring it to me, I would have to come get it. I was able to take off work and have my brother drive me the 45-60 mins to the dealership. I get the loaner and also ask about the window tint and window trim, they had forgotten about both of this issues but promised to check into them.

- Monday evening is also when I get a call from the Sales Rep at the Polestar Space, he tells me when they spent 3.5 hours figuring out the paperwork they were short around $800 and says they would like to send someone to me to pickup a check. I ask for them to send over the math; they do and it checks out, I see what they did wrong...I also see if they had just handled it like I told them to (and the instructions from my CU told them to) then this wouldn't have happened. They send someone by and there goes another $800.

- Five days later, I sent an email (because I couldn't get ahold of them via phone, kept going to VM) to the service advisor asking if there was a status update and about some quotes for other things (roof sunshade, folding tow-bar). After a few more days and not hearing back (day 7 since them having the car) I try calling to get an update. After multiple calls and getting disconnected and/or sent to voicemail I get ahold of someone (not the Polestar Advisor) they take my name and number and say he will call me back when he is done with a customer. Never get a call back. A few days later (day 10 since them having the car) I get a response to my email. The car is done and will be fully charged by noon. It also included quotes for the roof sunshade and towbar (though it says it wouldn't be a folding towbar which doesn't make sense to me). Whatever, I take an extended lunch and head over to pick up my car. I get there and the service advisor instantly says "we had an incident" and proceeds to tell me the delivery truck swiped my car while they had it out charging, he knew since the morning but didn't want to tell me over the phone or email. He shows me the damage and says they are going to take care of it; they will get it to their body shop on Monday (today is a Friday) and then get back to me with an ETA. Tells me to keep the loaner; I asked about it now being an almost brand new car with body work and he said all they can do is apologize.

BTW, the quote to have the towbar installed was an insane $2800, not including tax.

This is an absolute trainwreck of an experience and I wished I had stayed far far away from Polestar. :mad::mad::mad:
Hair Mouth Muscle Comfort Jaw

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Snow, Pilot
322 Posts
Really sorry to hear about this -- unfortunately the first sequence sounds about par for the course for Polestar's current system of "customer service" but the collision that damaged your car is more than a mishap. The car is your property and if another vehicle has hit it, you need more than an after-the-fact apology. I would demand an incident report with the license plate of the van and statements from any witnesses. Have them take it seriously. I assume it happened at the Volvo Service Center? Volvo should have some protocols in place and they have structure. Polestar is more like a dog chasing its tail on a merry-go-round.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Just judging by the amount of text you typed it seems like you might be a customer who is high maintenance.

Im quite certain the dealership didn't do a good job either and the car wasn't perfect.

Perfect storm for a bad experience, picky customer and imperfect service and product.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Exactly where is this dealership? Name, please?

Maybe you mentioned in your tirade, but I didn’t bother to wade through everything you said. But if you are here to warn people about a poor “space”, then name the space?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just judging by the amount of text you typed it seems like you might be a customer who is high maintenance.

Im quite certain the dealership didn't do a good job either and the car wasn't perfect.

Perfect storm for a bad experience, picky customer and imperfect service and product.
I can see how you could get that impression; to be honest though, I would say I am actually very low maintenance/laid back and often let more slide than I should.

With that said, Polestar is placing them selfs as premium brand, should they not expect "picky" customers?

I likely did a bad job laying it out but I would say the experience goes beyond just an "imperfect service and product".

·
Registered
P*2 DMLR PPP Leather Midnight
43 Posts
The car having a defect on the window and the truck accident are probably just bad luck, but I agree that the rest is unacceptable as a customer service. I’ve been hit with the same problem of the space being unresponsive, getting a car delivered in transport mode (capped at 25mph) and then having the customer support tow it to the service center, which they mixed up and sent to a Polestar space instead of a Volvo service center. So far I feel like this is more of a pattern rather than a one off experience, although most of these issues are related to particular Spaces.

They should’ve really done it the proper way and have created a consistent experience, I hate the dealership model and how disconnected some Spaces are having no clue how the whole thing works. And letting the same car be purchased twice is just an absolutely ridiculous failure of a system built by amateurs.

·
Registered
2022 PoleStar 2 - Dual Motors - Void
605 Posts
Sorry you went through all these issues. I can tell you that you probably bought at a very bad time and hit the perfect storm. I bought in December before the shortages hit and had the opposite experience you had. My brother in law is currently trying to buy a Hyundai Ioniq 5, and if you want to discuss unresponsiveness and frustration, I could fill up 10 pages. Let's just say at least you were able to buy one. 3 or 4 different Hyundai dealerships and two months later, the only thing we have is the knowledge that dealerships are a bunch of self serving theives that suck

Reactions: KeniLF

·
Registered
16 Posts

I didn't have a great experience at a Space and didn't end up buying a Polestar.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry you went through all these issues. I can tell you that you probably bought at a very bad time and hit the perfect storm. I bought in December before the shortages hit and had the opposite experience you had. My brother in law is currently trying to buy a Hyundai Ioniq 5, and if you want to discuss unresponsiveness and frustration, I could fill up 10 pages. Let's just say at least you were able to buy one. 3 or 4 different Hyundai dealerships and two months later, the only thing we have is the knowledge that dealerships are a bunch of self serving theives that suck
Oh I know; I just helped my brother get a Kia Sportage (and it involved a few complaints to the state AG’s office). But that is one of the reasons I bought a Polestar; per all the marketing they are supposed to be different…

·
Registered
605 Posts
Oh I know; I just helped my brother get a Kia Sportage (and it involved a few complaints to the state AG’s office). But that is one of the reasons I bought a Polestar; per all the marketing they are supposed to be different…
It's possible they are depending on the region, but they are a small car company hit by shortages. When I ordered in December, everything went like clockwork, they delivered the first week of January, dropped the car to my house. Paperwork took less than 20 minutes. And I paid my down payment over the phone by credit card. I did finance the lease through them though. Most of the issues I'm seeing now on this forum are people who ordered 2023 models. Probably due to the shortages

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's possible they are depending on the region, but they are a small car company hit by shortages. When I ordered in December, everything went like clockwork, they delivered the first week of January, dropped the car to my house. Paperwork took less than 20 minutes. And I paid my down payment over the phone by credit card. I did finance the lease through them though. Most of the issues I'm seeing now on this forum are people who ordered 2023 models. Probably due to the shortages
That sounds awesome. To me, the issue seems more like a people and process issue than a shortage issue. Every issue I had really boils down to poor communication and/or poor execution.

Like why didn’t the PDI catch the bad onboard charger? It errored at the Space when we were taking delivery but they promised that was their charging station having issues.

Like why does it say I could pay down payment via credit card via online instructions (the what to bring section)if it must be check.

Also, shortage has nothing todo with the Space folks not correcting the VIN on the order and changing it from “planned” to “delivered”.

·
Registered
MY22 Pilot Plus LRDM on 20s, Magnesium
165 Posts
The more of these issues I'm reading about some US Spaces, makes me so glad I don't have to deal with them over here.

There's a couple of bad luck events there, could have happened to any car or any person. Just unfortunate you've had it added to a defective vehicle experience.
OBC should have been checked, and your delivery delayed until parts were available, only you know how you'd have reacted had they delayed your delivery.
Paperwork........people are human, mistakes and incompetencies are par for the course, sullies the experience, but it is more a slight on the people than the brand.

The cost of the towbar is laughable, but everyone has said the same, and let's not get started on the jigsaw cutout for the towbar installation.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Exactly. If people have legit complaints with a car, or a particular dealership…take that complaint to those that might actually do something about it.

What I have done with other cars that I have owned, on other forums is - If I have an issue with something in my car, and I read from other owners of the same make and model as mine that they also have the same issue. I send a screen shot of multiple other complaints, as well as my own, to my service adviser. Doing this shows him is just isn’t my car. If I get no response from my service adviser, I then take it to the next level at the dealership, say, the GM. If that doesn’t work, then I go corporate and ask for mediation.

·
Registered
605 Posts
That sounds awesome. To me, the issue seems more like a people and process issue than a shortage issue. Every issue I had really boils down to poor communication and/or poor execution.

Like why didn’t the PDI catch the bad onboard charger? It errored at the Space when we were taking delivery but they promised that was their charging station having issues.

Like why does it say I could pay down payment via credit card via online instructions (the what to bring section)if it must be check.

Also, shortage has nothing todo with the Space folks not correcting the VIN on the order and changing it from “planned” to “delivered”.
When I say shortages, I'm also including people shortages. Most retail, service companies, stores can't get enough workers. Also, it sounds like the retail space that services your area doesn't have competent people. Anyway, I wish you good luck because Polestar is an awesome car, IMHO of course

Reactions: CaseyH

·
Registered
20 Posts

1 - 20 of 36 Posts