Polestar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polestar hands free autopilot gadget ? Steering wheel booster kit

6K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  stevelup 
#1 ·
Hello,
do you know if there is an aftermarket gadget to simulate the presence of hands on wheel for the autopilot function (see here something similar than on the Tesla 3 or Y), either as a 3D printing plan or as an aftermarket accessory . Obviously, I discouraged the use of such an accessory for the safety of everyone on the road.
Thanks.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive mirror

See less See more
#2 ·
I don’t recall how it is on the Tesla as I test drove that two years ago, but this won’t be safe on the Polestar 2.

The reason is Pilot Assist will only notify you that the auto steering disengaged by vibrating the steering wheel, so if you’re not holding it then you’d not be aware it switched off unless you were looking at the little wheel icon continuously to see if it went grey.

#3 ·
Thanks @kkonstan

I don't have my P2 yet. I'm a little surprised, because Volvo is one of the leaders in road safety. If a driver accidentally falls asleep on the road, releases his hands from the steering wheel, there is no audible alarm to indicate that the autopilot is disengaged. That seems like a bad idea! 🤔

#4 ·
Thanks @kkonstan

I don't have my P2 yet. I'm a little surprised, because Volvo is one of the leaders in road safety. If a driver accidentally falls asleep on the road, releases his hands from the steering wheel, there is no audible alarm to indicate that the autopilot is disengaged. That seems like a bad idea! 🤔
You’re missing the point.

If you release your hands from the steering wheel a few seconds later it will complain audibly. If you do not grab it again then a few seconds later it will complain even louder, and eventually turn on the hazard lights and come to a safe stop.

What is a bad idea is to attempt to defeat this safety system by something that tricks it into thinking you’re holding the wheel when you don’t, because as I said when pilot assist disengages and hands over steering control to the driver the only notification is a steering wheel vibration. If you’re not holding the wheel, because you attached something to the wheel to trick it, then it won’t be long until the vehicle causes an accident.

I find this works very well and would hate it if it beeped at me every time it disengaged or I overrode it to eg change lanes, which I think is what the Model 3 did when I test drove it and drove me crazy!

#7 ·
the problem with the autopilot is that the hand sensitivity is set to high. i can have my hand resting on the top of the wheel or have it at the bottom of the wheel and it starts going off. you either have to squeeze hard on the steering wheel or actively move it once in a while. i wish you could adjust the sensitivity?

#8 ·
It was much worse before P1.9 for me. I find it’s best to hold it from the side (as suggested by the on dash icon!). This way the slight torque applied by the weight of your hand is enough to keep it from triggering, but not enough to provide steering input.

#10 ·
The steering wheel does not sense your hand on the wheel, @joegadzia - it sense torque on the wheel. If you just rest your hand on the top or bottom then there is not much (if any) torque applied. I usually hold the wheel near the bottom but on one side or the other and let the weight of my arm twist the wheel a bit. That tends to work pretty well.

#12 ·
I would not rely on Pilot Assist completely. When I was test driving the car I turned on the Pilot Assist just to see how well it worked. Just as I went through a red light intersection, where there are no lane dividers in the intersection, the car jerked to the right (picking up some random lines on the road) right into the path of oncoming traffic. Had I not taken control of the car and pulled back the steering wheel there would have been a nasty head on collision. Lesson learned, Pilot Assist is just not completely safe to use, for now, especially on suburban roads without clear lane markings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.