Polestar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that 2020 is thankfully behind us, we can now see how polestar stands against the EV competition. Here in Sweden the numbers aren't as strong as I might have thought. The real surprise to me is just how much of the market the ID3 has taken in such a short time since deliveries started. The chart is otherwise not all that surprising.

Here's a summary of all new EV registrations in Sweden for 2020. The missing number for ID3 is 4014

What about other countries?

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
I'd love to produce a similar chart, but I haven't been successful at finding a database for the U.S. that I can use. It's frustrating.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd love to produce a similar chart, but I haven't been successful at finding a database for the U.S. that I can use. It's frustrating.
Oh, the only "producing" of the chart that I have done is to use the filters on a website and screenshot the auto-generated chart. There is an organisation in Sweden which collates all vehicle sales/registration data and present it to the public to browse, filter etc.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
416 Posts
Here's the top-20 chart for Norway for all cars sold in 2020, which overlaps a lot with electric cars sold in the country, so I am posting the former for also demonstrating the progress that has been made towards electrification this year.

https://www.cdn.tv2.no/images/11874077.jpg?imageId=11874077&width=1060&height=597&compression=80

The legend is:
Green: Fully electric
Blue: PHEV or Hybrid
Red: Diesel or Petrol

·
Registered
664 Posts
Here's the top-20 chart for Norway for all cars sold in 2020, which overlaps a lot with electric cars sold in the country, so I am posting the former for also demonstrating the progress that has been made towards electrification this year.

https://www.cdn.tv2.no/images/11874077.jpg?imageId=11874077&width=1060&height=597&compression=80

The legend is:
It’s amazing that Norway is that electrified already! So far ahead of nearly every other country on Earth. Wonder how China’s numbers would compare. I know electric vehicles are big there, but their population is 400x that of Norway.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,568 Posts

The legend is:
Interesting that the XC40 seems to be slightly more popular than the Polestar, is that right?
Does that reflect a preference for SUVs and/or is the XC40 slightly cheaper?

Either way, it does seem that the Polestar is popular enough to maintain some momentum!

·
Registered
P2 - Magnesium - Charcoal - PP - tow hook
250 Posts
I like to drive a "different" car so it doesn't bother me. I read that VW predicted that 90% of its sales would be in EVs for Norway.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Interesting that the XC40 seems to be slightly more popular than the Polestar, is that right?
Does that reflect a preference for SUVs and/or is the XC40 slightly cheaper?
I'm fairly sure that Volvo sold fewer XC40 RPE than PS2 overall in 2020 but the former was on sale for a shorter duration (1 month less?). XC40 R and XC40 RPE combined sold a bit more than PS2. Norway has huuuuge preference for spacious vehicles to carry camping equipment, gardening equipment, babies/kids related stuff, skis etc.; hence, SUVs and estates are quite popular here. XC90 electric and V90 electric are gonna make a killing here!

It’s amazing that Norway is that electrified already!
Here's the progress visualized:
https://i.redd.it/megvqvy9et961.png

I like to drive a "different" car so it doesn't bother me. I read that VW predicted that 90% of its sales would be in EVs for Norway.
Not surprising since Norway has committed to ban fossil car sales by 2025 and some cities are considering doing it already from next year (not finalized yet). Another interesting tidbit is that as of the first day of this year, Hyundai has pulled every fossil model from the market; you literally cannot buy a fossil car from Hyundai in Norway anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts