Polestar Forum banner

Did you sign up for these packages?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to find out if anyone's signed up for the Polestar Protection and Extended Warranty.

The Polestar Protection pack is something that you'd probably want to spend on to keep your car looking pristine and fix any minor appearance issues that might happen.

I've signed up for the Extended Warranty in the past for ICE vehicles, but I'm wondering how important this is for EVs. Does anyone have enough experience with EVs and long term maintenance that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks in advance!

Registered
I saw that when I ordered last year, but assumed it was a carryover from the ICE cars like the many misprints in our owners manual and ignored it.

The maintenance of an EV is minimal and covered by Polestar for a while. Don't have to change oil, brakes will likely last at least 5 or 6 years. You'll probably want to flush the brake fluid and coolant every few years, but those are cheap to do so you're probably overpaying with whatever they are charging.

The only big concerning thing is the battery itself, which is covered for 10 years by default here in California (8 years everywhere else I think).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw that when I ordered last year, but assumed it was a carryover from the ICE cars like the many misprints in our owners manual and ignored it.

The maintenance of an EV is minimal and covered by Polestar for a while. Don't have to change oil, brakes will likely last at least 5 or 6 years. You'll probably want to flush the brake fluid and coolant every few years, but those are cheap to do so you're probably overpaying with whatever they are charging.

The only big concerning thing is the battery itself, which is covered for 10 years by default here in California (8 years everywhere else I think).
I agree! That's why I was a bit confused about what kind of maintenance items should we expect. Electrical systems is still a thing we'd probably need to think about, but from a mechanical perspective, what would be the pieces to consider? 馃

I'm in the Northern California San Francisco Bay Area as well, so I guess I would get the 10 year coverage for the battery too. 馃檪

Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
Voted for "None" :) I'm sure those things have not been offered as an option in the UK.

Registered
Extended warranties on ICEs were designed to make money for the seller (either a dealer, manufacturer, or third party). That's why everyone offers these -- because everyone wants to make money off of you. For an EV it's an even bigger money making venture for the sellers. Save your money and if you are worried, put it aside into a separate account every time you are offered to purchase one of these. Then pay all your car repairs from that account. Over the years you will have money left over in that account!

Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
Occasionally they do pay out though. I had a Subaru Impreza 2000 Turbo back in 1999-2006 and cars just came with a couple of years' warranty in those days. I had a problem with the gearbox jumping out of 5th gear not long after the warranty had expired, but I'd paid the 拢300 or so per year for an extended warranty. Sure enough, they paid out to have it fixed - and to fix it, they needed to drop the engine out to get to the gearbox, all to correctly tighten a nut which had come loose (a known problem with the car at the time), 8 hours worth of labour for 10p of nut! That would have been a four-figure job but cost me nothing more than the warranty.

So it does protect you from the worst of it. On average, of course, you're likely to be out of pocket, otherwise the industry wouldn't exist. But it does shield you from the really expensive stuff.

Registered
Extended warranties on ICEs were designed to make money for the seller (either a dealer, manufacturer, or third party). That's why everyone offers these -- because everyone wants to make money off of you. For an EV it's an even bigger money making venture for the sellers. Save your money and if you are worried, put it aside into a separate account every time you are offered to purchase one of these. Then pay all your car repairs from that account. Over the years you will have money left over in that account!
My wife just got a letter in the mail from the dealer who did her recall work trying to sell her an extended warranty. Her lease is up next year, and she didn't get the car through them. :/

Registered
I asked about an extended warranty to ensure all of the four year lease was covered, there was nothing available!

Registered
Occasionally they do pay out though. I had a Subaru Impreza 2000 Turbo back in 1999-2006 and cars just came with a couple of years' warranty in those days. I had a problem with the gearbox jumping out of 5th gear not long after the warranty had expired, but I'd paid the 拢300 or so per year for an extended warranty. Sure enough, they paid out to have it fixed - and to fix it, they needed to drop the engine out to get to the gearbox, all to correctly tighten a nut which had come loose (a known problem with the car at the time), 8 hours worth of labour for 10p of nut! That would have been a four-figure job but cost me nothing more than the warranty.

So it does protect you from the worst of it. On average, of course, you're likely to be out of pocket, otherwise the industry wouldn't exist. But it does shield you from the really expensive stuff.
It's not like it can never happen, but the odds are overwhelmingly with you to not buy it. And cars have become more and more reliable over the years.

Registered
I asked about an extended warranty to ensure all of the four year lease was covered, there was nothing available!
In the US the basic warranty is 4yrs 50K, what is it over there?

Registered
Just remember very smart people with tons of data have figured the odds against you. When you can afford to cover an unexpected cost, skip the insurance.

Registered
2021 Polestar 2 | Snow | Performance Package
I got all of the extended warranties to the max duration available. Given that it's the first EV from Volvo/Polestar, I wanted the extra coverage. I also put in a little over 100 miles a day (currently sitting at 11k miles in 3 months) so if something went wrong I'm covered. I already had 2 flat tires and the rear shocks replaced due to squeaks over bumps.

With my XC90 V8, I got the extended warranty and eventually the transmission went out. With that car, to replace the transmission the subframe had to be dropped so the labor cost would've been the biggest cost for the replacement. I'd say, unless you plan on setting money aside, it's worth it for 1st year models and for people who drive a lot. Otherwise, save the money and invest it.

Registered
Just remember very smart people with tons of data have figured the odds against you. When you can afford to cover an unexpected cost, skip the insurance.
Agreed. And if you want to be rich one day, make decisions that rich people regularly make. No one who can really cover the cost of a repair ever buys this type of insurance.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got all of the extended warranties to the max duration available. Given that it's the first EV from Volvo/Polestar, I wanted the extra coverage. I also put in a little over 100 miles a day (currently sitting at 11k miles in 3 months) so if something went wrong I'm covered. I already had 2 flat tires, both of which have been replaced at no cost to me.
Interesting. I'm in a similar situation where I drive about 100 miles a day.
Question about the flat tires being replaced: Wouldn't that be covered under the Complimentary Roadside assistance? Or is that covered under the Appearance or Extended Maintenance? 馃

Registered
2021 Polestar 2 | Snow | Performance Package
Interesting. I'm in a similar situation where I drive about 100 miles a day.
Question about the flat tires being replaced: Wouldn't that be covered under the Complimentary Roadside assistance? Or is that covered under the Appearance or Extended Maintenance? 馃
I was told it was covered under the Polestar Protection. It covers 2 sets of tires, brakes, curbed rims, and cracked windshield

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was told it was covered under the Polestar Protection. It covers 2 sets of tires, brakes, curbed rims, and cracked windshield
Makes sense. Did you get the minimum 36 month package or did you consider taking the longer period?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts