Polestar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polestar has a range calculator up on its website for countries like the US, Norway, and Sweden.

It takes into account things like city, country road, or highway driving along with outside temperature, wheels, and air conditioning on/off.

USA

Norway

Sweden

·
Registered
47 Posts
So with AC off at 77 degrees, traveling on ‘country roads’, range= 292

More realistically, traveling on the highway at 77 degrees with AC on, range= 229

We also don’t know what that highway speed is, but I’ll bet it’s not 70. So I would totally disregard the 290+ figure and assume for the kind of driving that most of us do, you’ll get 220-250 miles. Keep in mind that as with all electric cars, you'll get significantly less in cold weather. If that works you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So with AC off at 77 degrees, traveling on ‘country roads’, range= 292

More realistically, traveling on the highway at 77 degrees with AC on, range= 229

We also don’t know what that highway speed is, but I’ll bet it’s not 70. So I would totally disregard the 290+ figure and assume for the kind of driving that most of us do, you’ll get 220-250 miles. Keep in mind that as with all electric cars, you'll get significantly less in cold weather. If that works you’ll be fine.
Yeah 292 miles is unbelievable when you consider that it says 275 miles of range on Polestar's website lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The reviews coming out now paint a really less rosy picture than that calculator suggests.
nextmove.de travelled at 72 mph using cruise control for 80 mi and saw the battery charge drop by 48%, making for more like a 160 mi real world highway range.

How much of that could be that they were using the Performance Package, which has sticky tires and 20" wheels, which would be heavier and with more rolling resistance?

Something needs to account for the official numbers and this real world difference.
TeslaBjorn found a similar range for the IPace.... but when it was Winter in Norway, not Summer in Germany. And the IPace has a higher Cd, is taller and wider, and has the same exact reported WLTP range (despite a bigger 90 kWh battery).

While this likely would only affect me a few times a year, it's still annoying. If I could reliably get 200 highway miles going on average ~60-70 mph, I'm all good. Hoping 19" non-Performance wheels and software updates fixes things.

But want to be clear - I'm pretty stoked for the P2. This is basically the main nit I'm picking.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Something needs to account for the official numbers and this real world difference.
TeslaBjorn found a similar range for the IPace.... but when it was Winter in Norway, not Summer in Germany. And the IPace has a higher Cd, is taller and wider, and has the same exact reported WLTP range (despite a bigger 90 kWh battery).
EPA, WLTP, and real world range have a completely non-linear relationship:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Polestar has a range calculator up on its website for countries like the US, Norway, and Sweden.

It takes into account things like city, country road, or highway driving along with outside temperature, wheels, and air conditioning on/off.

This is a nice tool, but these are very gross estimates. They have the option of AC, but don't talk about Heat. I believe the 2 has resistance heat which uses a lot more battery than AC. Unless I missed it, I'm surprised they didn't fit the 2 with a heat pump system.

·
Registered
47 Posts
EPA, WLTP, and real world range have a completely non-linear relationship:
There are even other factors. I'm not sure if these cars, when tested, have their HVAC running. If so, is it AC or heat or both at different times? As an example, my fully charged I-Pace can go 245-250 with the AC on. But if I turn off the HVAC on a full charge, my range shows 270-280.

There are just so many variables in these things and we haven't even discussed temperatures & humidity where the AC would have to work harder.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I thought the iPace had a heat pump. If not look for your range to drop 20% in the winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts