·
Registered
2021 2
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Yikes. We are dead last. No wonder why we don't show up on most EV story's radar. It also shows no sales in 2020. We know that's not true. What gives?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm sure the lower entry cost of the single-motor variants will help this a lot. Unless you want an SUV-type vehicle, there are not many choices in the EV space here in the US. Most of the new vehicles coming are SUV-like, too.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yikes. We are dead last. No wonder why we don't show up on most EV story's radar. It also shows no sales in 2020. We know that's not true. What gives?
i think the 2020 data is still for Q1 as YTD for 2020 is just Q1. The model Y also shows a blank for 2020.
I tried to find a similar report for Q4 2020 but couldn’t - most I could find is an overall market report and polestar wasn’t even listed. So I think their data sources may be incomplete.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i think the 2020 data is still for Q1 as YTD for 2020 is just Q1. The model Y also shows a blank for 2020.
I tried to find a similar report for Q4 2020 but couldn’t - most I could find is an overall market report and polestar wasn’t even listed. So I think their data sources may be incomplete.
Yeah they’re comparing to the year-ago quarter. Honestly I think the lower-cost models, current marketing ramp-up, and retail presence planned by EOY will represent the real mass market launch in the US. It’s hard to qualify what happened last year as anything but a soft/limited launch, however well executed.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Yeah they’re comparing to the year-ago quarter. Honestly I think the lower-cost models, current marketing ramp-up, and retail presence planned by EOY will represent the real mass market launch in the US. It’s hard to qualify what happened last year as anything but a soft/limited launch, however well executed.
Sure, but I didn't think it was that limited. I was guessing that each Space (of the original 4) might have moved a couple cars/day starting in early Dec. Assuming 20 days x 4 Spaces x 2 cars/day = 160 cars in Dec alone. Did they then only deliver 115 across the country in the next 3 months? No wonder why I haven't seen another one. I guess I'm not likely to either.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sure, but I didn't think it was that limited. I was guessing that each Space (of the original 4) might have moved a couple cars/day starting in early Dec. Assuming 20 days x 4 Spaces x 2 cars/day = 160 cars in Dec alone. Did they then only deliver 115 across the country in the next 3 months? No wonder why I haven't seen another one. I guess I'm not likely to either.
Yeah I’d heard at one point (anecdotally, I think through my local Space) that they’d been hoping to deliver up to 300 in the US in Q4’20. Depending on how much of the US backlog they got through, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to see a dip after the launch quarter (fulfilling a backlog vs. driving new pipeline). Consider also that USA seemed not to be a priority launch market, there’s barely any retail presence and what does exist was in locked-down states for most of Q1 so foot traffic = nil, most PR happened last year, etc. The bet is that between investments in awareness marketing, some product virality driven by owner-advocates, and pricing/packaging expansion, they’re set up for big growth probably in the back half of this year.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I think real numbers might be slightly higher. This is an estimate, and they might be extrapolating based on the dealers in their network. I'm not too surprised, there just isn't the sales network and promo push right now. First year is probably going to be abysmal since they're still expanding, but hopefully it should pick up as people start to see/hear about it.

·
Registered
P2 - Magnesium - Charcoal - PP - tow hook
217 Posts
Here are the top 10 EV sales for Q1 in Belgium (and yes it's a small market) :
1. Tesla Model 3 - 820 ex.
2. Audi e-tron - 309 ex.
3. Porsche Taycan - 281 ex.
4. Polestar 2 - 249 ex.
5. Nissan LEAF - 208 ex.
6. VW ID.3 - 202 ex.
7. Volvo XC40 Recharge - 190 ex.
8. VW ID.4 - 171 ex.
9. Peugeot e-2008 - 156 ex.
10. Peugeot e-28 - 155 ex.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
I asked Mike of CS this last week. He said he didn't know. I gave him grief about it and then he guessed it was a few hundred in North America.

That matches my guess based on this forum. What percentage of buyers get on this forum? 20%?

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I asked Mike of CS this last week. He said he didn't know. I gave him grief about it and then he guessed it was a few hundred in North America.

That matches my guess based on this forum. What percentage of buyers get on this forum? 20%?
I would imagine it's something they are not supposed to discuss as those figures only come through official channels.

·
Registered
Snow, slate, ordered Nov 2020, VIN 10xxx
44 Posts
If the VINs are around 12,000 and from previous posts sales in China and US are small, then our UK and EU friends clearly have good taste, at least in EVs. I wonder if someday Polestar and Volvo marketing will merge in the US.

·
Registered
972 Posts
If the VINs are around 12,000 and from previous posts sales in China and US are small, then our UK and EU friends clearly have good taste, at least in EVs. I wonder if someday Polestar and Volvo marketing will merge in the US.
That means that at least 12,000 were built, not actually sold. They expected high sales in China, so I'd be curious how many they allocated for the different markets... something they probably won't widely share. :(

Honestly, I hope they diverge further... unless you mean budget? Then yea, hopefully they get more to spend. :)

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 Performance Void/Charcoal
5 Posts
I picked up mine in late Dec in NorCal, not sure what the other locations were like, but the North Bay location was still getting things together and didn't seem to be handing off more than a car or two a week. Hopefully things have picked up

·
Registered
972 Posts
There are at least 452 cars in the US based on the OTA rollout graphic shared by Polestar in the Facebook group. We don't know if this is being sent to all cars, or just vehicles that have been sold (I would imagine it's the latter since they can update the cars when they prep for delivery).

I doubt that's the total number of cars on the road, and I would imagine sales have been trending up, so it might be safe to say the 115 car estimate is a bit low.

Reactions: polerad
1 - 18 of 18 Posts